Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #1

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
2017 Flying Cloud 28

Hey Everyone,
I apologize early for the very long post.

Just purchased our new to us, (and joined the forum), this week a 2017 28 RB Flying cloud. We started camping probably 20 years ago with a pop-up and through the years have had to other campers. For the last 10 years, we have had a Flagstaff 26 RLSS. We towed that for the last 7 years with a 2014 Ford Expedition EL with a Pro-Pride hitch.

The Expedition will not be our long term TV, but unless something else falls in our lap, we will use it for the reminder of this season. We have 3 trips planned two are about 45 miles away and will not be highway driving.And one last trip in mid October and that will be about 80 miles on the NYS thruway. I know the hitch weight on this camper is very close to the hitch weight on the truck.

The dealer is installing a Blue Ox hitch and admittedly, I know next to nothing about this hitch. They said they wouldn’t install the Pro-Pride.

The Expedition is rated to tow about 9000 lbs. Dry weight on the TT is 5979. Payload is 1,621. GVWR is 7,600. I took all the gear out of the old camper and weighed it. The gear, clothes, food etc in the camper weighed 776 lbs and the gear in the truck weighed 266. I know I can eliminate at least 1/3 of all the crap from the old camper and some of the gear in the truck.

Most trips I tow the camper and my wife tows our boat. Other times it’s both of us and our 55lb dog. Since this camper has limited storage I will put most of that in the rear compartment and some will likely go in the truck.

Thoughts going forward for the short or long term with this TV TT combination?

Most likely I will be getting a 2021 F 150 Ecoboost.

Sorry for the very long post.
Deano
Deano112 is offline   Reply With Quote