RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
2016 Silverado 1500 and FC30RBT

Am looking for opinions on my combo... I have plenty of experience towing and hauling.

2019 FC30RBT

2016 Silverado 1500
Max Towing package
Class V hitch
Tekonsha Controller
5000 lb air bag assist in rear
6.2 liter
12,000 lb max tow weight

Comfortably hauled a Winnebago Minnie 28 class at 8700 lbs from Tx to Colorado and back

Will be deciding on hitch in the coming days

While I know many will automatically recommend a 3/4 ton and would agree it would have more capability especially with a diesel, but your opinions on this setup is what Iím seeking

Your thought and opinions would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Ch47d1sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
What’s the payload capacity of your truck?

I think you’ll find that the limiting factor with 1/2 ton trucks is payload capacity. The tongue weight of your 30RBT may use more of your payload capacity than you’d like.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Whatís the payload capacity of your truck?

I think youíll find that the limiting factor with 1/2 ton trucks is payload capacity. The tongue weight of your 30RBT may use more of your payload capacity than youíd like.
OP says 6.2L and 12k tow capacity. Sounds like a maxtow with around 1900 to 2050 payload, depending on options. If so, I tow a 2007 30 classic with a 2015 version. It does very well and I am under all weight specs. Payload is.close with all my gear, but it is under.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
OP says 6.2L and 12k tow capacity. Sounds like a maxtow with around 1900 to 2050 payload, depending on options. If so, I tow a 2007 30 classic with a 2015 version. It does very well and I am under all weight specs. Payload is.close with all my gear, but it is under.
Very helpful thank you
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Agreed. It's helpful though to look at the actual sticker on the tow vehicle and get the exact number. Hopefully there's enough margin there to allow for a good, safe towing experience. The max tow package seems like a really nice option for a 1500 series truck.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Here is an article that might help and a video on how to configure the hitch setup.

https://rvlifemag.com/towing-half-to...e-quarter-ton/

The first video on the page.

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

Use the air bags only to level the truck without the Airstream and don't add more air to raise the truck after connecting. If it is too low then it is the hitch that is the issue.

If you would like more detailed information feel free to email me andy@canamrv.ca

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
I have a 1500 Suburban and a International CCD28

In 2004 I bought a new International CCD28 (1,000 tongue weight) and a 1500 Suburban, four speed transmission, Reese dual cam equalizer hitch, and have put 150,000 miles on that configuration including trips through the Canadian Rockies (WBCCI Alaska caravan twice) our Rocky Mountains, New England "hills", and have never had an insecure instance. I drive 55 to 60 but could go faster if I wanted to get somewhere fast. I believe if your tongue weight is less than 1,000 pounds (I'm pretty sure it is) a 1500 Silverado will do fine. No sense in gilding the lily with a tow vehicle that will climb Mount Everest.
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Here is an article that might help and a video on how to configure the hitch setup.

https://rvlifemag.com/towing-half-to...e-quarter-ton/

The first video on the page.

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

Use the air bags only to level the truck without the Airstream and don't add more air to raise the truck after connecting. If it is too low then it is the hitch that is the issue.

If you would like more detailed information feel free to email me andy@canamrv.ca
Andy many thanks for the great info. Will send you an email with some more questions.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGLG View Post
In 2004 I bought a new International CCD28 (1,000 tongue weight) and a 1500 Suburban, four speed transmission, Reese dual cam equalizer hitch, and have put 150,000 miles on that configuration including trips through the Canadian Rockies (WBCCI Alaska caravan twice) our Rocky Mountains, New England "hills", and have never had an insecure instance. I drive 55 to 60 but could go faster if I wanted to get somewhere fast. I believe if your tongue weight is less than 1,000 pounds (I'm pretty sure it is) a 1500 Silverado will do fine. No sense in gilding the lily with a tow vehicle that will climb Mount Everest.
Thank you and that is exactly what I am trying not to do.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I haven't been around here that long, but this is definitely the first time that I've seen someone reference Shakespeare when talking about tow vehicles.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #11
thewolffman

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Mesa , Arizona
Silverado 1500 towing experience

I have been down this road twice, both with a Silverado 1500 and later with a Ram 1500. They both had 5.3 or 5.7 v8 engines and automatic transmissions and tow packages with the higher 3.73 ish gear ratios.

I hate to burst your bubble but the tow rating on your truck is bogus and I'll tell you why. Your truck was designed, meaning the chassis, the brakes, the axles, engine and transmission, was designed to haul 1/2 ton. That is a reference to payload capability. Period.

ALL the truck manufacturers play the same game. They pick a nice level highway in Ohio on a average temperature day (72 degrees) with calm winds and keep adding weight until they demonstrate the max towing capabilities. You know that is not the real world of Rving.
Both of my trucks were brand new and I felt like I was pushing them towing a 25FB that only weighed 5300 lbs. That is because I live out west and we have wind, we have steep grades, and real life driving conditions. When you are hauling more weight than your truck is designed for you are pushing the limits and a failure can/will occur. You may have the power to pull the hills but coming down the steep grades is a different story. Having large enough brakes is the real issue. IMHO the true towing rating on both the trucks should be around 7,000 lbs if you are going to tour the entire good old USA. If you are going to restrict your travels to the flat lands of this great country then that is a different story.

Both of the 25fb Airstreams we owned were supposed to have tongue weights of 10-15% of the gross weight, so say between 530-795 lbs. When we took delivery of both trailers I took them to the Truck scales to check the weights and the tongue weight was between 1200-1340 lbs. The RV manufacturers don't tell you those empty trailer weights that are advertised are for the base model with no options.
So in our case the tongue weight was way over the hitch tongue weight rating as well as the rear axle rating on the truck. I even had a Reese equalizer hitch installed to help transfer some of the weight which could not reduce the tongue weight on the trailer enough to correct the problem.

So my advice is to either get a 2500 truck that has a higher payload limit. Or if you want to use the truck you already have then purchase a smaller trailer that falls within the payload and real towing capacity.

Good Luck!

thewolffman
thewolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolffman View Post
I have been down this road twice, both with a Silverado 1500 and later with a Ram 1500. They both had 5.3 or 5.7 v8 engines and automatic transmissions and tow packages with the higher 3.73 ish gear ratios.

I hate to burst your bubble but the tow rating on your truck is bogus and I'll tell you why. Your truck was designed, meaning the chassis, the brakes, the axles, engine and transmission, was designed to haul 1/2 ton. That is a reference to payload capability. Period.

ALL the truck manufacturers play the same game. They pick a nice level highway in Ohio on a average temperature day (72 degrees) with calm winds and keep adding weight until they demonstrate the max towing capabilities. You know that is not the real world of Rving.
Both of my trucks were brand new and I felt like I was pushing them towing a 25FB that only weighed 5300 lbs. That is because I live out west and we have wind, we have steep grades, and real life driving conditions. When you are hauling more weight than your truck is designed for you are pushing the limits and a failure can/will occur. You may have the power to pull the hills but coming down the steep grades is a different story. Having large enough brakes is the real issue. IMHO the true towing rating on both the trucks should be around 7,000 lbs if you are going to tour the entire good old USA. If you are going to restrict your travels to the flat lands of this great country then that is a different story.

Both of the 25fb Airstreams we owned were supposed to have tongue weights of 10-15% of the gross weight, so say between 530-795 lbs. When we took delivery of both trailers I took them to the Truck scales to check the weights and the tongue weight was between 1200-1340 lbs. The RV manufacturers don't tell you those empty trailer weights that are advertised are for the base model with no options.
So in our case the tongue weight was way over the hitch tongue weight rating as well as the rear axle rating on the truck. I even had a Reese equalizer hitch installed to help transfer some of the weight which could not reduce the tongue weight on the trailer enough to correct the problem.

So my advice is to either get a 2500 truck that has a higher payload limit. Or if you want to use the truck you already have then purchase a smaller trailer that falls within the payload and real towing capacity.

Good Luck!

thewolffman
You are off on your blanket admonition. Not all half tons are created equal...and half ton is a misnomer in most cases. And a 5.3 is not a 6.2.
Mine has a larger rear axle with 350# more capacity than a non-maxtow.
Specs: 420hp, 460 torque, payload 2034 (a one ton by your inaccurate use of the labels). Brakes are more than adequate for 12000# trailer rating and 17k + gcwr.
If you dont know how to spec a truck, then buy a 2500 or 3500 and forget it. Not all of us want a heavy truck for overall use.
If you want to have the "just right porridge", learn how to spec a truck, or find someone who can. I KNOW Ford and gm offer capable 1500/150s for a 30'er....haven't ever spec'd ram.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
There is a guy on YouTube who tows a 30 with an F-150 with max towing and heavy duty payload options. You might have a look.

DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #14
JEB
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Lisle , Illinois
There is some truth to everything said above. But the critical consideration, as mentioned, is payload because when towing with a 1/2 ton, you frequently run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. So pay close attention to the yellow and white tire and loading sticker on the driver’s side door jamb and think critically about whether that payload figure is adequate to carry you, your passengers, your stuff and the distributed weight of the trailer tongue. If not, you have a problem.

Don’t get too comfortable with things like airbags and high towing capacities. Air bags can make the ride feel more controlled but they don’t change the truck’s GVWR so they don’t raise how much you can carry in or on your truck.

And towing capacity can provide a false sense of security. Here is a real-world example. I was looking at a brand new F-150 with a max tow package—12,400 lb towing capacity. But the truck was a Platinum PowerBoost that was so heavily optioned that it had a payload capacity of only 1325 lbs. So, if you tried to tow 12,000 lbs, you’d need to put at least 1200 pounds on the tongue. That leaves you only 125 lbs of payload for everything else in the truck, including the driver. With a weight distribution hitch, you might manage to lever around 120 pounds out of payload and transfer it back to the trailer, but then you would still have to make do with 245 lbs of payload to carry everything that you aren’t putting in the trailer. Would that be enough? It wouldn’t be for most campers because 245 will rarely accommodate even two passengers.

Your numbers will likely vary considerably from my example. But I offer it to show how important payload is and it should be the centerpiece of your thinking. High tow capacities for 1/2 tons are frequently just an illusion for all but the dedicated work trucks stripped of most of the creature comforts and optioned only with heavy duty hitches and payload packages. Once you start optioning up, your ability to actually make use of those seductive towing capacities plunges.
JEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB View Post
There is some truth to everything said above. But the critical consideration, as mentioned, is payload because when towing with a 1/2 ton, you frequently run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. So pay close attention to the yellow and white tire and loading sticker on the driverís side door jamb and think critically about whether that payload figure is adequate to carry you, your passengers, your stuff and the distributed weight of the trailer tongue. If not, you have a problem.

Donít get too comfortable with things like airbags and high towing capacities. Air bags can make the ride feel more controlled but they donít change the truckís GVWR so they donít raise how much you can carry in or on your truck.

And towing capacity can provide a false sense of security. Here is a real-world example. I was looking at a brand new F-150 with a max tow packageó12,400 lb towing capacity. But the truck was a Platinum PowerBoost that was so heavily optioned that it had a payload capacity of only 1325 lbs. So, if you tried to tow 12,000 lbs, youíd need to put at least 1200 pounds on the tongue. That leaves you only 125 lbs of payload for everything else in the truck, including the driver. With a weight distribution hitch, you might manage to lever around 120 pounds out of payload and transfer it back to the trailer, but then you would still have to make do with 245 lbs of payload to carry everything that you arenít putting in the trailer. Would that be enough? It wouldnít be for most campers because 245 will rarely accommodate even two passengers.

Your numbers will likely vary considerably from my example. But I offer it to show how important payload is and it should be the centerpiece of your thinking. High tow capacities for 1/2 tons are frequently just an illusion for all but the dedicated work trucks stripped of most of the creature comforts and optioned only with heavy duty hitches and payload packages. Once you start optioning up, your ability to actually make use of those seductive towing capacities plunges.
I agree with your thoughts.

I started an excel spreadsheet that helps me keep track of my cargo so that I can decide what goes in the truck bed and what goes in the Airstream. It was a very eye-opening experience for me. When I'm loaded up for camping, my 1/2 ton truck is close to the payload limits, and my Airstream is close to the cargo limits.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB View Post
There is some truth to everything said above. But the critical consideration, as mentioned, is payload because when towing with a 1/2 ton, you frequently run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. So pay close attention to the yellow and white tire and loading sticker on the driverís side door jamb and think critically about whether that payload figure is adequate to carry you, your passengers, your stuff and the distributed weight of the trailer tongue. If not, you have a problem.

Donít get too comfortable with things like airbags and high towing capacities. Air bags can make the ride feel more controlled but they donít change the truckís GVWR so they donít raise how much you can carry in or on your truck.

And towing capacity can provide a false sense of security. Here is a real-world example. I was looking at a brand new F-150 with a max tow packageó12,400 lb towing capacity. But the truck was a Platinum PowerBoost that was so heavily optioned that it had a payload capacity of only 1325 lbs. So, if you tried to tow 12,000 lbs, youíd need to put at least 1200 pounds on the tongue. That leaves you only 125 lbs of payload for everything else in the truck, including the driver. With a weight distribution hitch, you might manage to lever around 120 pounds out of payload and transfer it back to the trailer, but then you would still have to make do with 245 lbs of payload to carry everything that you arenít putting in the trailer. Would that be enough? It wouldnít be for most campers because 245 will rarely accommodate even two passengers.

True, all the numbers are important. My truck, explained above is an ltz, sans sunroof and a few other options, but very well equipped. Sunroof weighs 75ish pounds....I value my bed payload more than a hole in the roof.
Spec'ing means paying attention to, and respecting ALL the numbers. Every one is important in it's own right. Making them all work together ie proper spec'ing. (Including knowing all your load, and loaded trailer weights BEFORE buying a TV), is the key.

Air bags are NEVER a legitimate part of a proper spec....ever.....unless you have an air suspension.....not even auto level control. Auto level control really complicates proper WD adjustment and doesn't help anything for towing purposes.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Quote:
True, all the numbers are important. My truck, explained above is an ltz, sans sunroof and a few other options, but very well equipped. Sunroof weighs 75ish pounds....I value my bed payload more than a hole in the roof.
Spec'ing means paying attention to, and respecting ALL the numbers. Every one is important in it's own right. Making them all work together ie proper spec'ing. (Including knowing all your load, and loaded trailer weights BEFORE buying a TV), is the key.

Air bags are NEVER a legitimate part of a proper spec....ever.....unless you have an air suspension.....not even auto level control. Auto level control really complicates proper WD adjustment and doesn't help anything for towing purposes.
Rich thanks for sharing your opinion an experience. Thank you a bit off on your assumption of air bags though. They are a useful tool to leveling a truck and if not used to level with a trailer setup and WD is setup correctly it should not be a factor. My system is not auto leveling. Thanks again
2016 Silverado Z71 Heavy Half, 6.2l max tow package and Hensley Arrow hitch
Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Love Shakespeare, "don't pour perfume on a violet". Paraphrasing Yogi Berra "If they don't wanna learn you can't stop em." For me putting 150,000 hard miles on a 1500 Suburban with the wrong rear end, 4 speed transmission, CCD 28 with an unloaded 1,000 tongue weight, with drum breaks on the trailer and happily lived to tell about it is my story. Now you sure as hell can go bigger at the expense of a hard ride unhitched and a lot more money and finding a place to park the beast,
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch47d1sg View Post
Rich thanks for sharing your opinion an experience. Thank you a bit off on your assumption of air bags though. They are a useful tool to leveling a truck and if not used to level with a trailer setup and WD is setup correctly it should not be a factor. My system is not auto leveling. Thanks again
But my truck is level with just the use of proper wd. I dont believe it is needed, proper nor helpful.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #20
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
It will work

You want to hear it will work, right? It Will!

Until you get that burning unquenchable fever for a new truck. On that day, it will no longer work and you must have a new one.

Some may say that day should be today. It's up to you, but you can get immense enjoyment from your Airstream for many years before that day comes, but it is coming.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags