Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
2016 F-150 Towing Feature

I don't quite get this.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I surmise that it is an extension of the "auto parallel park feature, whereby the camera recognizes the unique sticker placed on the trailer tongue and, after entering the data for the trailer, will park itself.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes, but you still have to twist a dial rather than a steering wheel.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Right, I guess it just make the direction of twist intuitive for the driver that just can't wrap their head around "counter steering" with the wheel. I, personally, wouldn't want to pay for it, and would probably never use it if it were standard......I'm too ingrained in the "old school" way.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think it also self-centers... i.e. if you let go of the knob it'll straighten out the trailer. I'm still grumpy about the fact that you can't get a manual in a half-ton anymore (and only RAM in the HD class for that matter). I don't want the computer to back up my trailer.

It seems like the sticker on the tongue is just so the truck can tell the current angle of the trailer. It already knows how to identify individual trailers that plug into the lights and/or brakes.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Don't fear change, embrace it!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, I find that a very good feature. Backing is where trailers get damaged. Simplifying backing reduces the stress. And that should make for better alertness on the part of the driver.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
That black and white sticker on that boat trailer wouldn't fit on my Airstream hitch. I think this feature is more for boat owners.

How much will this feature be? New F150s are already prohibitively expensive.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Don't fear change, embrace it!

Believe me, my work and personal lives have been, and are, nothing but change, and I do embrace it....BUT....I also discern the difference between "change for progress" and "change for change's sake". For me, this feature is the latter. For a noob to towing, maybe not.

It's a value equation.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You old timers are a source of entertainment and are hilarious. We don't need no stinking backup cameras!

This is almost genius. There are cars that can back themselves into a parking space.

Waiting to the next leap, a truck that can back a trailer into a space on it's own.

The sticker though does seem like an odd point of reference, and difficulty for travel trailers.

But you should look at this like the first iPhone which was really stupid. No 3G, no app store, no front camera, pretty terrible all around, but look what has happened since.

Sometimes the first iteration is, mhem.

I think we'll see similar more advanced systems on all of the big 3 in the next 5 years.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
To quote someone to whom I have become acquainted on these forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Maybe it is just an age thing or a demographic oddity but when I was young, if someone used the term "Rims" it was a sign that they were a non-mechanical moron who knew very little about vehicles.

All good mechanics used the proper term "wheels". To this day it bothers me when someone says "Rims" instead of "Wheels".
Thanks for the insult your highness.

My Momma taught me, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

1) A truck backing itself into a spot isn't a leap, it's a step. The leap will be totally autonomous vehicles....which are coming. These current features are test beds to that end. Generational acceptance, infrastructure, let alone tried and tested technology, are really the only holdbacks.

2) I'm not as old as you think, and my 31 years as a manufacturer factory rep, I have seen massive technology changes...and I embraced most all.

3) I have seen a bunch of technological features floated out there....and flop....due to lack of acceptance, mostly.

I could go on, but why? Old timers do have one big advantage over youngins'....a knowledge base that one only gets by virtue of time walkin' on the planet and observing, trying and failing, and perhaps most of all, a history of perspective on human nature (which plays right onto acceptance).

I'm sure you will only agree with me in...perhaps another 25 years. Not looking to be mean, but we were all young once and full of p*** and vinegar. It is as it should be. Heck, I'd like to rewind do it again! (but only if I could take what I know now back with me!)

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If I could teach my DW to back in the trailer I wouldn't need this feature

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My Momma taught me, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."
Still entertaining. Alright, that was a cheap jab on my part. I'm sorry. One's wit can be someone else's insult.

I do love discussing this topic however:

Quote:
The leap will be totally autonomous vehicles....which are coming. These current features are test beds to that end. Generational acceptance, infrastructure, let alone tried and tested technology, are really the only holdbacks.
I grew up watching Knight Rider and have dreamed of this. I'm also deeply concerned about it for the future of our hobbies.

When you hear environmentalist discuss the idea of limiting people's travel and where they travel to protect the environment. Insurance companies and politicians discussing revenue streams in which people who don't switch are taxed/charged more money (under the guise of those people posing greater risk to public safety). Law enforcement promoting a future where they can stop anyone from traveling thru a network of connected vehicles. And these vehicles would need to be connected, the amount of data created from that and what it could tell about a person. Oh geez.

It truly will be a brave new world. I think we have at least another 20-30yrs before some of the more "hard question" aspects of the above unfold. And 10yrs before we start seeing consumer options outside of the current options.

Quote:
Old timers do have one big advantage over youngins'....a knowledge base that one only gets by virtue of time walkin' on the planet and observing, trying and failing, and perhaps most of all, a history of perspective on human nature (which plays right onto acceptance).

I'm sure you will only agree with me in...perhaps another 25 years. Not looking to be mean, but we were all young once and full of p*** and vinegar. It is as it should be. Heck, I'd like to rewind do it again! (but only if I could take what I know now back with me!)
Wisdom only comes with age is a myth (IMO), as anyone can be a fool at any age, if one never learns from their mistakes.

If you don't seek out wisdom or to improve yourself, what can you gain with age?

I don't buy it. Also if someone puts their wisdom in a book, and I learn from it, have I not just acquired something without the needed "age" experience? The short cut to life.

Granted, some things can be learned, and others must be experienced.

But if you spend 50 yrs doing something wrong, you've got 50 yrs experience worth of what?

Whoops I hijacked the thread into a philosophy discussion.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Still entertaining. Alright, that was a cheap jab on my part. I'm sorry. One's wit can be someone else's insult.

I do love discussing this topic however:

I grew up watching Knight Rider and have dreamed of this. I'm also deeply concerned about it for the future of our hobbies.

When you hear environmentalist discuss the idea of limiting people's travel and where they travel to protect the environment. Insurance companies and politicians discussing revenue streams in which people who don't switch are taxed/charged more money (under the guise of those people posing greater risk to public safety). Law enforcement promoting a future where they can stop anyone from traveling thru a network of connected vehicles. And these vehicles would need to be connected, the amount of data created from that and what it could tell about a person. Oh geez.

It truly will be a brave new world. I think we have at least another 20-30yrs before some of the more "hard question" aspects of the above unfold. And 10yrs before we start seeing consumer options outside of the current options.

Wisdom only comes with age is a myth (IMO), as anyone can be a fool at any age, if one never learns from their mistakes.

If you don't seek out wisdom or to improve yourself, what can you gain with age?

I don't buy it. Also if someone puts their wisdom in a book, and I learn from it, have I not just acquired something without the needed "age" experience? The short cut to life.

Granted, some things can be learned, and others must be experienced.

But if you spend 50 yrs doing something wrong, you've got 50 yrs experience worth of what?

Whoops I hijacked the thread into a philosophy discussion.
We have nothing to disagree on here (except you owe me a beer for the "cheap jab" when we meet out there somewhere). However, I didn't express "wisdom comes with age". Wisdom must be pursued and earned. I did mention perspective and cumulative observation as time earned virtues of the elders. And I'm, if but only by the grace of God, only about 60% there, and I recognize that more and more as I age.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
That looks sooo cool! I would love to play with it, but probably would not want to pay for it!

Just wait for some idiot to get their hand caught in the wheel and bust a thumb - then sue!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
That looks sooo cool! I would love to play with it, but probably would not want to pay for it!

Just wait for some idiot to get their hand caught in the wheel and bust a thumb - then sue!!!
Or think it is autopilot and get out of the truck and watch their boat and truck become submarines.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
You old timers are a source of entertainment and are hilarious. We don't need no stinking backup cameras!

This is almost genius..
Who you callin' old ... entertaining, perhaps ... but old; really ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
This is one of the stupidest gimmicks I have ever seen on a vehicle. The person who thought this one up should have a big "L" slapped on their forehead!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Thumbs up

Quote:
We have nothing to disagree on here (except you owe me a beer for the "cheap jab" when we meet out there somewhere). However, I didn't express "wisdom comes with age". Wisdom must be pursued and earned. I did mention perspective and cumulative observation as time earned virtues of the elders. And I'm, if but only by the grace of God, only about 60% there, and I recognize that more and more as I age.
Just use a little good judgement.
"Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement." [Transport Canada]
FYI: RedGreens record seems to be stuck in a groove!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote