Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
We went from a 25 to 30 bunk and love the decision. Then again, we aren't 6'6" and often sleep 3 (5 y r old) in the bed under the bunk. Heck, in my mid-40's and I can easily climb and sleep in the bunk. We removed the front bed and turned it into a couch. Also extended the counter space for more storage and food prep area.
Scott,

That's incredible man!

Would love to see a few images from the fridge towards the former bedroom. We would need sleeping area, twins, in the bunk. Which I was frustrated AS wouldn't do. But got a call from CS Sunday, believe it or not, and was told of a company in Michigan that might do it.

I'm still not impressed with the bunk (upper bed bunk itself) and short of amputees and anorexics still draw a blank regarding its utility. Hah. You must be a very fit, into yoga, seed eating type of guy.

I'm joking of course. And I've had same frustrations with camp chairs, cars, my Harley, golf clubs, clothes, waders for fly fishing, kayaks, O/U shotguns, etc my whole life. I conceed, I'm the issue.

When my wife and I met she used to laugh when I walked into a wall, passing through a door. Citing how clumsy I was. Until I stood in a doorway and showed her I only had 1" of clearnce on each side. I'm a frigging swan. Clumsy. Hah.

At my size, that upper bunk is offensive. But glad it offers utility to others. One thing we like about this floor plan, one kid could have bottom bunk, one could sleep on side bench. No dinette to break down. This assuming that wife and I had twins. Which would also facilitate me putting a small leather chair with ottoman in entrance to bedroom, between wood walk through.

Twins means open floor there, rather than bottom of queen bed. Wife could have long side bench, I would be in added chair in bedroom entrance, and kids could have entire U dinette, portion of side bench with wife, or a bean bag. Liked the family area options, especially if getting twins. But that bunk, never mind.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
1998 34' Excella 1000
Apache Junction , Arizona
I’m an old man and can recognize your concerns. Let me assure you first that there is no PERFECT solution to your dilemma. You can base your decision on the most extremes of your vision or the most likely. Some extremes will never happen and others will not have been in your vision. Wisdom comes from the experience of dealing with whatever shows up.

After having read through all these replies, you must be amazed at the variety of facts & opinions (you separate one from the other if you can) that you have received. From all that, you still get to make your own decision and you do what it takes to make it work. We are probably each somewhat different from you in some way or other. You must first do whatever is necessary to keep your family safe within the limits your decision imposes. If that is avoid high speed, or stay closer to home, or carry less “stuff”, whatever – just do it.

Regarding the size or design of the AS or TV you choose, the rule holds. Nothing is perfect. Smaller RV is more maneuverable, larger is less crowded within. Twin beds are easier to make up, king beds have their own benefits. If you are short, the cabinets are too high but the tall person gets constant headaches from misjudging how low they are. Smaller TT generally fits garage, is more economical but larger can carry more stuff and is more likely to take steep inclines in stride. Extremes are never perfect either. You can’t get a truck big enough or long enough to prevent accidents. No tires are immune to blowouts. Much of what happens or doesn’t happen rests on you. Drive as safely as you can. Maintain your equipment well. Beyond that, deal with the imperfections and when it’s all done, if you all have fond memories of the experiences, and the inconveniences (which are sometimes “adventures”), you will have done it right.

In my years, I have pulled five AS and two SOB’s ranging in length from 13.5’ to 34’, sometimes with ˝ ton PU, mostly with Expeditions, Tahoes or Yukons, none of them XL but totaling over 120,000 miles. Our trips have included every state in the continental US, Canada and Alaska. I do steep grades and flat lands, driving each as safely as I can within the limits of myself and my equipment. I have limited my trips lately because of my age, which in the opinion of many supersedes any other consideration. I expect I would be judged “guilty” in any accident regardless of the actions or inactions of anyone else. “What’s an old man like that doing driving, let alone pulling an RV?”

This is waaay too long. You are the key. The equipment is merely the tool. Various tools can accomplish the same task, are just used somewhat differently. “If this ain’t going to be fun, don’t be doing it.”

Don
donm168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Update

Hi all,

Just wanted to close the loop on this thread nearly four months later.

I'm excited to say that we just put a deposit on a 2016 30' International Serenity with an expected delivery in April. We are beyond excited! We were pretty much sold on the 30' FC Bunk and then made the "mistake" of going to the Hershey RV show in September and stepping foot inside the Serenity with Salsa interior. Not for everyone, but we think it's absolutely stunning.

Just need to buy a HD diesel truck in a few months...

Thanks to everyone who posted - your thoughts were much appreciated!
Eric
Seinbelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Beautiful trailer, many congratulations.

You don't need a HD diesel to tow it, but if that's what you want, it'll work out just fine I am sure.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:40 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Don and Andreas have provided excellent comments. You have made a great choice and I also would try the towing experience with your current equipment before purchasing a vehicle that you may not need. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums