Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Aurora , Illinois
2015 BMW X5 35d LED Light Adapter/Hitch Height

Hello, new AS tower here. I have poured over these threads for days, and I only seen one reference to a "Lamp Out" or "LED-Light Adapter" that should be used with an AS with LED tail/running lights.

I will be towing a 2020 22FB Bambi in a month, and want to make sure to get an adapter for the lights if I need one.

I also want to make sure I have the right Hitch Rise, my current hitch measures 13 1/2" from the ground. I have the standard suspension.

Thank you in advance.
Jnash467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Nashville , Tennessee
BMWs are particularly sensitive to having their tail lights tapped for wiring trailer lights in, as you're aware. The best way to get around this that I've found is with a Zero Contact Interface like this one from Tekonsha.

If you want the install to be totally splice-free, you'll need to install that, then convert to a 7-pin harness and use a Prodigy RF brake controller.

This eTrailer thread actually covers everything I just mentioned much more thoroughly. I followed this thread to install all of the necessary wiring on my BMW 328i Wagon and it works flawlessly.
NeonFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Aurora , Illinois
Thank you, but I should have elaborated that I have the BMW wiring harness installed and coded to my vehicle. I already have the brake controller and 7-pin harness.

I’ll go through the thread you mentioned. Thanks again
Jnash467 is offline   Reply With Quote