Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel

Just test towed my 25' with a Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel and was greatly disappointed with potential over heating. Starting in Denver, with very little wind at 55 degrees, and driving west on I70 to Silverthorne and back each grade would send the temp to near limit. From Silverthorne east bound to the Eisenhower tunnel I started with the cruise at 60 and engine normal temp, as it had cooled on the way down, then the temp quickly started rising till just a half tick into the red half way to the top while my speed dropped to 45. The outside temp during the pull was only 36.

I found that I could not down shift into a higher rpm when I felt it should have allowed it. It will also not hold a gear going down hill. It would up shift around 3200 rpm. Hit the brakes really hard drop the speed to 45 and then it would go back to 4th but would pop out shortly after that.

Returned to the dealer with sales manager ready to close the deal until I went over the pictures taken of the temp gage and we discussed the lack of power pulling less than 6,000 pounds.

On the bright side I got 15mpg with the 155 mile round trip.

It is a very nice vehicle but disappointed with the heat issues.

Wait and see what the dealer/regional rep has to say on Monday.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Odd that such a basic thing is cropping up. Modern vehicles are assumed to have this stuff down.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
I've been waiting for someone to actually post a review of the new Eco diesel grand cherokee as we were set on purchasing one for towing. I'm disappointed in its performance and hopefully it is some kind of computer glitch, etc. Were you using tow/haul mode? Not being able to downshift would not be good and getting it to hold especially on the passes. Thanks for giving this review. I hope that this can be corrected as we really wanted to buy one of these. Although we have a 1991 25' AS we had not really planned to use it to pull this but getting a smaller one with less weight as our classic is heavier than we
would want to use the GC to pull with. I look forward to hearing what you find out.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Unfortunately there is no tow mode. I tried normal, manual and sport modes thinking maybe sport would allow higher rpm shift points but they seemed to be the same. One of the sales guys was telling me that the new diesel and 8 speed trans are very conservatively programmed. I think I read where they were sitting in limbo at the factory production lots while they were trying to finalize the software prior to hitting the dealer lots. They still have a ways to go. The indicated red line is somewhere close to 5k but I don’t think it ever got much over 4. Low end slow rolling torque is just incredible but it is horse power that gets you up the hill and there it is lacking.

If the dealer comes back with a fix for the overheating I may try it again, but I really hate to have no power reserve at all going up the grades. Would just need to get behind the big rigs and settle in at 40. If we lived in CA or FL it might be much more tolerable.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Very odd, I towed a heavier 2009 Classic 25FB coast to coast with multiple stops at SteamBoat Springs - my TDI Touareg had zero issues, plenty of power with no heat issues, once was in late spring while other was in late summer x2....

Denver up 70 right through Silverthorne 3 times....

Few pounds less torque than the Grand Cherokee too, btw, curious how my 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee would do with 470lbs torque and 470 horses...

Any Hoots, Odd on the GC oil burner, something has got to be off.....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
With the price of the GC and it's supposed towing capacity, something isn't right. It's hard to believe that it is running so hot. That's scary in itself. Unfortunately we may have to rethink our purchase unless I start reading positive results. We go camping in Colorado almost every summer and pull a lot of passes and surely don't want to spend that kind of money on something that overheats and doesn't have enough power. It will be interesting to see what the dealer comes back and says on Monday.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
John, What speed were you able to maintain pulling east to the Eisenhower Tunnel! What about coming out of SteamBoat Springs back toward Silverthorne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Very odd, I towed a heavier 2009 Classic 25FB coast to coast with multiple stops at SteamBoat Springs - my TDI Touareg had zero issues, plenty of power with no heat issues, once was in late spring while other was in late summer x2....

Denver up 70 right through Silverthorne 3 times....

Few pounds less torque than the Grand Cherokee too, btw, curious how my 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee would do with 470lbs torque and 470 horses...

Any Hoots, Odd on the GC oil burner, something has got to be off.....
Old 01-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Seems there was another thread along these lines, there are some grades (and certainly ambient temps) that will test it more than I-70. Since the Fiat diesel is a $4500 option in the Jeep I'd be darn sure of its capability before pulling the trigger. Was really hoping the Jeep would succeed as a TV but if you need a good diesel SUV then Mercedes ML or GL might be options for you. The ML is not much more than a loaded jeep (diesels are a no-cost option with M-B).

Not Jeep bashing though, seems like a software change should address how the 8 speed trans handles grades. The RAM 1500 is the same power train and they have to get it right for that segment, else Ford EcoBoost 150 will steal all their thunder.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
The Ram 1500 Eco Diesel does have a tow mode, integrated brake controller and will obviously have better cooling systems but it will also be 1,000 - 1,500 pounds heavier.

Starting to research the German models but really did not want to go that way again. Last MB wagon we had cost us a small fortune in service and maintenance. Finally through the towel in around 100k miles (traded in for a Toyota) and said we would never buy another MB. My daughter still drives the Toyota with over 150k miles and we have spent a 1/10 on it as compared to the MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Seems there was another thread along these lines, there are some grades (and certainly ambient temps) that will test it more than I-70. Since the Fiat diesel is a $4500 option in the Jeep I'd be darn sure of its capability before pulling the trigger. Was really hoping the Jeep would succeed as a TV but if you need a good diesel SUV then Mercedes ML or GL might be options for you. The ML is not much more than a loaded jeep (diesels are a no-cost option with M-B).

Not Jeep bashing though, seems like a software change should address how the 8 speed trans handles grades. The RAM 1500 is the same power train and they have to get it right for that segment, else Ford EcoBoost 150 will steal all their thunder.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

I am considering a Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi. I hunt and need the 4 wheel drive capability. Now we tow with an old Powerstroke and hunt with a smaller size 4x4. I would like to go with one vehicle. I like the idea of a moderate sized vehicle for city driving and the reviews for driving and handling are good, better than some of the bigger 4x4's with a frame on body such as a Nissan Armada or Toyota Sequoia. The Hemi might get 15-17 solo, but nothing like that towing.
On the downside, frequency of repair according to consumer reports is well above average for the V8. A new diesel made by Fiat does not inspire confidence.
Chrysler has a history of introducing diesel vehicles and then orphaning them. If I buy a Grand Cherokee, it will be with the old iron.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
A new diesel made by Fiat does not inspire confidence.
VM Motori makes the 3.0 Eco Diesel. VM has been around a very long time. It was once owned by Detroit Diesel, Penske, GM and now Fiat Powertrain. It is not a Fiat engine, as a RAM is not a Fiat truck and Jeep is not a Fiat SUV. They just share the same Corporate owners.

Hopefully Jeep and RAM will get their issues sorted out.
I sure would like a nice 1/2T pickup that can tow #9,000 and get over 20 MPG solo.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
My '13 Grand Cherokee with the hemi, 6 speed and tow/haul mode has proven to be an excellent tow vehicle for my car trailer as well as my 25 FB. Went from Durango to Georgetown pulling my car trailer over much the same route with no issues at all. No knock on the diesel, but I can buy quite a few gallons of gas that's cheaper than diesel for a $4500 difference. For the record, I also own a diesel Sprinter motorhome.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
John, What speed were you able to maintain pulling east to the Eisenhower Tunnel! What about coming out of SteamBoat Springs back toward Silverthorne?
Volkswagen 2010 Touareg TDI with V-6 towing a 2009 25FB Classic with Pro Pride Hitch - heading from Denver up to the Tunnel, steady 60-65 (70 was average) with no problems, from Silverthrone to SteamBoat Springs it's pretty flat until the very end, but I was nervous as this was 2010 and Ultra Low Diesel as not quite everywhere at that point, the power was never an issue....

Rabbit Ears pass too (Tunnel was all backed up) and because of the roads max average was 60.

The final pull up into and past Catamount Lake (or pulling out of Steamboat and over Rabbit Ears pass) was 60-65. That was a pull!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
John, Thank you for the feedback. On paper the Jeep should do every bit as good, but I am not going to risk it at this point. I am leaning toward the Touareg TDI and need to now find a used 2013 or hopefully 2014 that I can do the same test with. Warm regards, Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Volkswagen 2010 Touareg TDI with V-6 towing a 2009 25FB Classic with Pro Pride Hitch - heading from Denver up to the Tunnel, steady 60-65 (70 was average) with no problems, from Silverthrone to SteamBoat Springs it's pretty flat until the very end, but I was nervous as this was 2010 and Ultra Low Diesel as not quite everywhere at that point, the power was never an issue....

Rabbit Ears pass too (Tunnel was all backed up) and because of the roads max average was 60.

The final pull up into and past Catamount Lake (or pulling out of Steamboat and over Rabbit Ears pass) was 60-65. That was a pull!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Did dealer ever get back to you about poor performance?

I have a 2014 gas V6 - love it! Very luxurious and better mpg both towing and not than I expected.

jeep garage forum is a great resource for info, you might post your experience and see what you get back. There are many happy diesel owners towing big trailers there.

I think there was definitely something abnormal about the jeep you tested. With manual shifting my 8 spd trans will hold the gear almost as if it were a stick shift. It will only shift if you go so slow as to cause the engine to really bog down, like 8th gear at 25 mph. I tow a smaller trailer but driving down i75 in Kentucky the temp gage never moved. The trans temp stayed the same too.

I looked at Touareg diesels too - while less than a Benz or BMW, feature for feature they are still a good bit more than the Jeep and there are many more jeep dealers around if you need service.

www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
It is early and I have not heard anything back from the dealer yet.

The trans issue was very frustrating and my guess why I could not hold a better speed. It would simply lug down and I could not get it to down shift. The ratios on the 8 are fairly narrow and I should have been able to down shift to a higher RPM. I do not see how that could be anything other than programming.

The overheating was the biggest concern and will wait to hear from the dealer, but I would need to be convinced that both issues are resolved with documented explanations and actual test drive before re-considering it.

It was a 2014 trade in with only 600 miles on it. It was flawless as a daily driver, with maybe the exception of the turbo kick in, which reminded me of my wife's last A3, but a different beast altogether when pulling heavy.

Why would you buy the diesel other than to tow? It really makes no sense to me. Maybe it was stuck in regen, the fans were not coming on or Jeep still has teething issues with the software? With no tow mode I think it is setup to maximize fuel mileage causing it just to lug way too much! The software should be able to detect the increased load and adjust from there.

Just disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdenny View Post
Did dealer ever get back to you about poor performance?

I have a 2014 gas V6 - love it! Very luxurious and better mpg both towing and not than I expected.

jeep garage forum is a great resource for info, you might post your experience and see what you get back. There are many happy diesel owners towing big trailers there.

I think there was definitely something abnormal about the jeep you tested. With manual shifting my 8 spd trans will hold the gear almost as if it were a stick shift. It will only shift if you go so slow as to cause the engine to really bog down, like 8th gear at 25 mph. I tow a smaller trailer but driving down i75 in Kentucky the temp gage never moved. The trans temp stayed the same too.

I looked at Touareg diesels too - while less than a Benz or BMW, feature for feature they are still a good bit more than the Jeep and there are many more jeep dealers around if you need service.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
John, Thank you for the feedback. On paper the Jeep should do every bit as good.
Or it should do a bit better - I really wonder if you didn't have an oddball Jeep oil burner because things just don't add up.

Now remember, if you read all my posts, I was always a bit nervous about my payload and the reason why I eventually went with a 3/4 ton truck with cap vice SUV.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
Did you ever get any answers from the dealership regarding the problems you encountered with the Eco diesel GC?
Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
It is early and I have not heard anything back from the dealer yet.

The trans issue was very frustrating and my guess why I could not hold a better speed. It would simply lug down and I could not get it to down shift. The ratios on the 8 are fairly narrow and I should have been able to down shift to a higher RPM. I do not see how that could be anything other than programming.

The overheating was the biggest concern and will wait to hear from the dealer, but I would need to be convinced that both issues are resolved with documented explanations and actual test drive before re-considering it.

It was a 2014 trade in with only 600 miles on it. It was flawless as a daily driver, with maybe the exception of the turbo kick in, which reminded me of my wife's last A3, but a different beast altogether when pulling heavy.

Why would you buy the diesel other than to tow? It really makes no sense to me. Maybe it was stuck in regen, the fans were not coming on or Jeep still has teething issues with the software? With no tow mode I think it is setup to maximize fuel mileage causing it just to lug way too much! The software should be able to detect the increased load and adjust from there.

Just disappointed!

I hope that you get resolution on the overheating issue. I haven't towed with my GC Overland EcoDiesel yet, but have been delighted with performance thus far. No shifting or other issues, and I use the paddles extensively on the mountain grades here around Durango. Mine was delivered in November, and did have a software update before delivery.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
This is direct from the sales manager:

"I just got word. They checked everything out and there is nothing wrong with the car. They determined that the fuel that was put in there was not good. Talking with my Chrysler rep I found out there are 2 kinds of diesel fuel 1&2. The standard diesel you get at King Soopers or Velaro etc has many additives. Which cut down the performance and increase temp. The diesel #2 is recommended for the vehicle from Chrysler and you can get it at any truck stop. He said the diesel #1 is almost half as efficient. This was a learning experience for me. I have been getting 25mpg in my diesel and the Chrysler rep said that I would get 4-5 mpg better by using that fuel. I am in process of getting the car down to the truck stop to put the #2 diesel fuel in it and see the difference. Maybe we could try it again next week when the weather gets better to see the difference."

I am 20 plus years with diesel tow vehicles and fuel was not the problem. I don't even know of a station in the Denver metro area that sells #1. I filled it up with Shell #2 which is what I always try to buy. I tend to stay away from truck stop fuel. At this point I would not purchase the Jeep based on my experience, their response and am not interested in trying it again.

I would recommend that anyone interested in the GC tow your trailer under max conditions before committing. Perhaps they did find something wrong and simply want to blame the fuel, but I am not going to risk it even though I liked it and the advanced features (air suspension, adaptive cruise etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelgreen View Post
Did you ever get any answers from the dealership regarding the problems you encountered with the Eco diesel GC?