Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
2012 Ram 2500/ProPride Brake Issues

Just returned from a three week 3K mile trip and I experienced a problem with the ProPride hitch. On three different events when I had to hit the brakes quickly, not a panic stop mind you, just quick application of the brakes, the yoke slipped on the ProPride forcing the trailer over to one side causing the steering wheel to feel a pull. One each event I stopped at the next opportunity and readjusted the yoke.

I suspect the problem is with the trailer brake application and possibly the operator in the Ram. It has four different basic setting, with ten different adjustment steps. The basic settings are "Heavy Electric", where I originally had it set, "light electric", "heavy electric over hydraulic", and "light electric over hydraulic". Originally I was using HE 10 when the problem happened. The brakes felt good, but there did seem to be a slight delay between the truck and trailer brake application.

I have now tried all four of the basic settings, and have decided that HOE (Heavy Over Electric) works better and seems to have less delay, but the yoke on the ProPride has slipped yet again. I have actually tightened it so tight that I have gaulded one of the "U" bolts and will need to replace it.

Anyone have this same experience, and/or have a solution/suggestion?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have a Ram 1500 with factory brake controller, FC 25, and ProPride. I usually set the brake controller each day when starting out so it feels right, not paying much attention to the setting but I believe it is much lower than 10. I use the HE setting. Never any problems with it but have only a few thousand miles with the ProPride.

I've only had one emergency braking and all went well, no movement of the hitch mounting, although there as some pulsating in that event that I attributed to the anti-skid brakes of the truck. Everything stayed in line, one deer ran by the front of the rig and the other behind.

Steve, it sounds you're on the right track questioning the delay of the trailer brakes after the truck brakes, perhaps getting the "Hensley bump" and pushing the hitch head to the side? Could the trailer brakes be worn or out of adjustment, or could one side be grabbing before the other? Sean at ProPride may well have the best answer.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Doug,

The trailer brakes feel fine, are the newer self adjusting variety, and even seem too strong at times...sort of grabby if set too high. Definitely get the "bump" when this happens, and then afterward the steering wheel is pulling to which ever side the thing slipped to, and I can see in the mirrors the trailer is off to one side or the other.

I just talked to Sean and he is sending me new "U" bolts to replace the bad one, but I have reservations if the new bolts will effect this issue.

I really don't want to get into changing the brake controller to a different model. I never had this problem with the same hitch and same trailer when I was towing with the '08 GMC 2500.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It seems the Hensley bump is always associated with delayed or not enough braking at the trailer, as I recall reading. A 10 setting of your controller is high, isn't it? Could there be a corroded or poor electrical connection between the pickup and trailer brakes, causing a voltage drop and therefore weak application? Can you lock up the trailer brakes with it, as a check?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Have you talked to the Propride people? What did they say about it?
Whose brake controller is it? Have you talked to them?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The trailer brakes are working fine, as good as they every have as far as strength is concerned. When I have it set on 10 on EOH, it is way too much braking.

I have talked to Sean and he is sending me new "U" bolts and hardware, and he seems to think that will take care of it, but I am skeptical. Sean did tell me I could put an additional bolt in the slot on each side to help reduce the chance of the part sliding, which tells my skeptical side that this problem has come up before.

The brake controller is Dodge, built into the truck, and my personal experience with talking to a dealer about such an issue is like talking to the wind. Actually, not as good, as the wind won't give you a stupid look and insinuate that you did something wrong.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Is it possible that the trailer brakes are "turned off" so quickly that the stored energy pushes the trailer forward a few inches? Similar to someone running across in front of you when walking briskly, your feet stop, but the upper torso wants to continue forward.

My TV is a 2012 Dodge 2500 Cummins with automatic and I use 5.5 to 6.0 on the Dodge control head pulling the 25FB Int'l with GVW of 7,300 pounds. If you have not tried this, you might get on an empty straight road in a rural area and try a lower number on the brake controller and work upwards and see what happens.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I worried about stripping the U-bolts and started out with them way too lightly torqued when I first installed the hitch. It took me 3 trips, with the U-bolts torqued a bit tighter each time, to get the yoke where it would not slip when backing into a campsite. In each case, the yoke was OK when I arrived at the campground, but slipped when backing.

I have to back rather tightly into my storage building and I have learned to expect the "bang" when starting back. The yoke now stays put, though.

ProPride should specify a torque on the U-bolts so that we know where to start.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Is it possible that the trailer brakes are "turned off" so quickly that the stored energy pushes the trailer forward a few inches? Similar to someone running across in front of you when walking briskly, your feet stop, but the upper torso wants to continue forward.
It is my belief the brakes are not coming on fast enough, like there is a delay between the truck and the trailer brakes. This only happens when I have to stop quickly like when some (expletive deleted) cuts in front of me in traffic and hits the brakes to stop at a light. I feel it, and hear a "bang", and then feel it in the steering, and see the trailer tracking to one side, or the other after.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I worried about stripping the U-bolts and started out with them way too lightly torqued when I first installed the hitch. It took me 3 trips, with the U-bolts torqued a bit tighter each time, to get the yoke where it would not slip when backing into a campsite. In each case, the yoke was OK when I arrived at the campground, but slipped when backing.

I have to back rather tightly into my storage building and I have learned to expect the "bang" when starting back. The yoke now stays put, though.

ProPride should specify a torque on the U-bolts so that we know where to start.
John, I remember there is a spec, and is in the instructions, but I don't remember the exact number. I do remember thinking that it wasn't too much, so shouldn't be such a big deal.

I never had this problem with the GMC, my previous tow vehicle, so I believe it is caused by the brake operator.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Have you asked a Dodge dealership to check that your truck has the latest programing which might also impact the brake controller operation?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I have called the service rep at the dealer to try and start getting information about the brake controller. I got his voice mail. Left a message for him to call me back. I'm waiting....
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The EOH brakes do have a delay in application..it is a common complaint. There is no pressurized fluid reservoir like autos have. When the actuator gets the electrical command, the pump must turn on and build pressure....thus the delay. I was able to reduce the delay by bleeding the brakes thoroughly....a challenge as the inboard caliper half has no bleeder. I had to loosen the brake line to bleed the inboard ones.

Clean electrical connections, as noted above, are essential.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The EOH brakes do have a delay in application..it is a common complaint. There is no pressurized fluid reservoir like autos have. When the actuator gets the electrical command, the pump must turn on and build pressure....thus the delay. I was able to reduce the delay by bleeding the brakes thoroughly....a challenge as the inboard caliper half has no bleeder. I had to loosen the brake line to bleed the inboard ones.

Clean electrical connections, as noted above, are essential.
Rich,

Please understand that I DO NOT have hydraulic brakes on my trailer. It just seems that the EOH brake setting on my '12 RAM 2500 has less delay in the controller than the electronic brake setting.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, misunderstood, my bad. I think delay could only be from dirty connections, mis-adjusted shoes....or something unique to Dodge controller or an issue with your particular one.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I suggest making a 12V cord with LED/bulb of some kind and plugging it into the Trailer brake circuit in the back of the truck and have the light in hand in the cab. Hit the brakes and see if there is a delay in the bulb lighting up. That would be an effective demonstration for the Dodge service manager of an issue with the controller and the trailer is not in the circuit to prevent finger pointing.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yesterday I did get to talk with the dealer's Service Manager. I asked him if he knew of any service bulletins or software upgrades for the brake controller in the '12 2500, and he said there were not.

I asked him for the name and telephone number of a factory rep I could talk with, and he said he was not allowed to give out that information, but would have a rep call me. Again I wait, probably in vain.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2012 Ram 2500/ProPride Brake Issues

Greetings SteveH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yesterday I did get to talk with the dealer's Service Manager. I asked him if he knew of any service bulletins or software upgrades for the brake controller in the '12 2500, and he said there were not.

I asked him for the name and telephone number of a factory rep I could talk with, and he said he was not allowed to give out that information, but would have a rep call me. Again I wait, probably in vain.
If you don't get a response from the dealer contact, you might try contacting Dodge Customer Assistance with the information suggested at this link. It has been several years since I owned a MOPAR vehicle, but there were numbers for Factory Representatives in the rear of the manual.

Good luck in finding a resolution to your problem!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
OK, granted I only have a few thousand towing on the new rig (2013 2500HD Cummins 4x4 with 2013 27FB Electric Brakes).

My settings are Heavy Electric and 7 volts and it brakes quite well (very smooth), in fact better than my 2011 Ford F-350 with 2011 30 Classic and 2009 Touareg TDI with 25FB Classic Electric over Hydraulic.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
OK, granted I only have a few thousand towing on the new rig (2013 2500HD Cummins 4x4 with 2013 27FB Electric Brakes).

My settings are Heavy Electric and 7 volts and it brakes quite well (very smooth), in fact better than my 2011 Ford F-350 with 2011 30 Classic and 2009 Touareg TDI with 25FB Classic Electric over Hydraulic.
John,

I had similar experience with my '12 truck, set on Heavy Electric 9, all was well until I had to hit the brakes quickly, and that's when the yoke centering thing (forget what it's actually called) slipped. I stopped, straightened it, and all was good again until several days later, had to hit the brakes quickly again, and it slipped again. Happened three times to me on our last trip of about 4,000 miles.

Thanks to "overlander64" I did talk with Dodge Customer Assistance and there is a software upgrade available for my truck they said "might" help with the electric brakes. It's supposed to increase the speed at which the main CPU in the truck communicates with all the rest of the 'putters in the truck.

Because of scheduling, I won't have time to get it installed now until sometime in September.