Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Fact. Torklift advertises that their hitch is good for any Airstream model and has a 450 pound capacity.
This doesn’t mean one shouldn’t use ones own common sense when loading back there. OBVIOUSLY different airstream frames are different, one should try to limit the aft weight for apparent reasons, and it would be a good idea to keep sufficient tongue weight so load some of you interior weight forward to counter balance aft weight.

I’m sure not putting 450lbs back there but will be comfortable with my bikes there.

It’s not rocket science…..just a bit of common sense

We can do it!

Curtis
Thorpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpflyer View Post
This doesn’t mean one shouldn’t use ones own common sense when loading back there. OBVIOUSLY different airstream frames are different, one should try to limit the aft weight for apparent reasons, and it would be a good idea to keep sufficient tongue weight so load some of you interior weight forward to counter balance aft weight.

I’m sure not putting 450lbs back there but will be comfortable with my bikes there.

It’s not rocket science…..just a bit of common sense

We can do it!

Curtis
So you trust them but not that much.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:23 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
So you trust them but not that much.
Come on man. I’m getting tired of the BS back and forth here. MY common sense tells me they think their hitch—-HITCH—is good for 450 lbs. I certainly would NOT deduce that torklift is telling you that they analysed all the engineering of every airstream and that you are safe to load, however you see fit, on any airstream up to 450 lbs back there. YOU are expected to think for yourself.

I know we love our litigious society here in the great USA where we can blame everyone else and not take responsibility ourselves.

I personally know the tongue weight on my airstream is about 600lbs. I also know that if I throw 450 lbs plus the weight of the hitch on the back that it would throw off the tongue weight.
I’m sure you know that too, and are not expecting torklift to have figured that out for you and for you to infer that they mean by saying that their hitch having a 450 lb capability that you can do such a thing to your airstream, loading it in a way that would possibly completely illuminate your needed tongue weight. And of course I would hope we all know that kind of weight could be bad for the structure and safety on the road of our home away from home. And it’s always a good idea to compensate aft weight with fore weight.

Come on. We are de evolving. It is getting way too easy to be above average.

This dead horse is beaten into the ground.

I’m sure many on here are getting tired of the back and forth and lack of common sense.

I need to just go enjoy the serenity in my international and stop getting worked up by the nuttiness.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:09 AM   #64
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We bought our 25GT used, from the AS dealer in Chicago. I believe they are a five river dealer. They had installed the receiver hitch on the rear for the previous owner. They went to bat for us, and got the complete warranty transferred over to us. (Including appliances, not just the body) The previous owner had never actually spent a night in it. Dealers are installing these hitches. I hope nobody is hanging 450 pounds on them. Two bikes just don’t weigh that much.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Anyone using the torklift hitch? Seems an easy solution that one could then use any hitch mounted carrier.
I’m gonna get one. I trust that company.

Curtis
Yes I have one on my AS 2020 Flying Cloud 27. I installed it, you'll need to drill 4 holes in the metal under the rear bumper and bolt it on. It's a solid hitch and a solid mount, I use a OneUp bike rack with two bikes only. Although the hitch is rated for 450lbs, I don't think the AS bumper is and probably shouldn't exceed 150 when loaded up IMO. We've traveled thousands of miles with no issues. I use a bike cover too as they can get really dirty if you don't.
CBERNIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:40 AM   #66

1991 32' Excella
El Paso , Texas
Hi Steve,
I would like to attach a receiver hitch to my Excella. Would you please send me pics of your setup? I plan to two a small motorcycle trailer.
Thanks,
Ernest Wade
ErnestWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It's not the receiver that's a concern, it's what it's carrying, and how much the overhang.
Disclaimer...I would never consider it.👎
AS is not designed for it....

And NO, all Airstream trailer frames ARE the same.
Semi-monocoque....
relating to or denoting aircraft or vehicle structures combining a load-bearing shell with integral frames.

The receiver is indirectly connected to the AS's ribs, skin AND frame rails.
Have you heard of front panel stress cracks?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #68
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
https://youtu.be/6mW_gzdh6to
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestWade View Post
Hi Steve,
I would like to attach a receiver hitch to my Excella. Would you please send me pics of your setup? I plan to two a small motorcycle trailer.
Thanks,
Ernest Wade
I can text or email you pictures of my torklift setup that I just installed….working just fine……
One challenge in install may not apply to you.

Contact me if you want info and pics
Curtis
Sevenseven5722six342
Old 09-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #70
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
It's wonderful that all things Airstream are so subjective....No one is ever rong.😂
TETO

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It's wonderful that all things Airstream are so subjective....No one is ever rong.😂
TETO

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
Your wright there...no one is ever rong here...the youtube posted has no value to those who don't care...just want a hitch in the rear to carie their "stuff"...damn the logic...right? (speling not my thing either, Bob..)

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #72
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I have seen this video a few times. Maybe 200. The only question I have regarding it is, is this the same thing as adding 100 pounds onto the back of a 7600 pound trailer? Possibly, for me the video would have more meaning if the makers took small increments and added it to the rear of the trailer.
We all agree a lot of weight in the back of a 25FB is not a good idea. But is 100 pounds negligible? How about 300 pounds? I’d be concerned about frame separation and sway with too much weight back there. My take is that it is not a black and white answer. Because I’m pretty sure 10 pounds is ok.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I have seen this video a few times. Maybe 200. The only question I have regarding it is, is this the same thing as adding 100 pounds onto the back of a 7600 pound trailer? Possibly, for me the video would have more meaning if the makers took small increments and added it to the rear of the trailer.
We all agree a lot of weight in the back of a 25FB is not a good idea. But is 100 pounds negligible? How about 300 pounds? I’d be concerned about frame separation and sway with too much weight back there. My take is that it is not a black and white answer. Because I’m pretty sure 10 pounds is ok.
Good questions; the further back the hitch/weight from axels can be a problem...the "stability/"play" in the hitch extension, along with added weight can increase potential for sway for sure. The example is real...I have followed my friends SOB with bike rack on rear hitch of his new Lance for 1000 mile trip last year...He could not feel it, but I could see the sway as he drove down the highway 65-70mph; it was really moving side to side at times...he sold it, and got an AS with Fiama. I have had 4 AS's 25' and now a 28'; all have had Fiama's and no issues and not concerned about frame separation nor sway; he said he was not concerned either, till I took him back of his SOB, shook his bike rack with bikes back and forth to demonstrate what I saw...he was amazed. Go with your gut...just make sure your gut is not wrong..IMHO.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #74
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Good questions; the further back the hitch/weight from axels can be a problem...the "stability/"play" in the hitch extension, along with added weight can increase potential for sway for sure. The example is real....
I agree. Distance from the axles wou,d have the same effect as adding additional weight. At least I would guess it would. It’s that grey area again. How far is too far? How much weight is too much? It’s apparent that some of us are a little more comfortable living in that grey area. I’m not ready to throw a generator back there behind the bikes.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 09-07-2021, 06:50 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
no, it's not recommended.

its not the weight, it's the torque. ie the Mass and the distance from the fulcrum (point of rotation). the further it is the higher the torque.

that is why AS only supports the FIMMA rack. it is very close to the rear skin and minimizes torque
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Your wright there...no one is ever rong here...the youtube posted has no value to those who don't care...just want a hitch in the rear to carie their "stuff"...damn the logic...right? (speling not my thing either, Bob..)

I hope we all realize that video is pointing out that you need a sufficient amount of tongue weight not that adding weight to the back will cause the sway on its own just if that counters the weight you should have on the tongue then you have a problem but adding weight to the back and the front should be fine
Old 09-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
[QUOTE=Thorpflyer;2535116]I hope we all realize that video is pointing out that you need a sufficient amount of tongue weight not that adding weight to the back will cause the sway on its own just if that counters the weight you should have on the tongue then you have a problem but adding weight to the back and the front should be fine[/QUOTE]

Say whaaaaat? Key words here "...should be fine". The correct answer is, know your limits here. Don't go with "should be fine" type guessing...weigh your rig and know your limits. Adding weight up front affects payload; adding weight to rear effects handling/ sway...adding weight beyond the back bumper (ie bumper hitch installed after market) can also affect your sway potential....pick your poison.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #78
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
[QUOTE=gypsydad;2535402]
Quote:
I hope we all realize that video is pointing out that you need a sufficient amount of tongue weight not that adding weight to the back will cause the sway on its own just if that counters the weight you should have on the tongue then you have a problem but adding weight to the back and the front should be fine[/QUOTE]

Say whaaaaat? Key words here "...should be fine". The correct answer is, know your limits here. Don't go with "should be fine" type guessing...weigh your rig and know your limits. Adding weight up front affects payload; adding weight to rear effects handling/ sway...adding weight beyond the back bumper (ie bumper hitch installed after market) can also affect your sway potential....pick your poison.
^
👍
Beet me to it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-08-2023, 07:27 AM   #79
Sombrero

2018 30' Classic
St-Jérôme , Quebec
Buying an Airstream 30 Classic with a rear hitch on the bumper

Hi, not sure if this post is still current, I project to replace my AS with an AS 30 RB CLassic, model 2016, the owner had a hitch receiver installed on the rear bumper to transport 2 E-Bike. they did two major trip carrying the bike! Upon visual inspection of the trailer I have noticed skin deformation around the right wheel well and find this suspicious? Why would the skin bend in this area? was it the frame that bent during the transport of this extra weight behind the bumper? heres a picture! not sure you see well but would like to have your opinion or advice? should I be concerned?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Déformation sur AS Classic 2016.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	437580
B.trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:37 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.trudeau View Post
Hi, not sure if this post is still current, I project to replace my AS with an AS 30 RB CLassic, model 2016, the owner had a hitch receiver installed on the rear bumper to transport 2 E-Bike. they did two major trip carrying the bike! Upon visual inspection of the trailer I have noticed skin deformation around the right wheel well and find this suspicious? Why would the skin bend in this area? was it the frame that bent during the transport of this extra weight behind the bumper? heres a picture! not sure you see well but would like to have your opinion or advice? should I be concerned?

Attachment 437580

This is not unprecedented, and happened with 1970s Airstreams with rear separation.

Try pushing down on the bumper to see if it moves independently of the shell of the trailer. If the attachment between the frame and shell is compromised, it will need to be repaired.

Yes, this is why conventional bike racks and carrying heavy equipment-bikes is not recommended. The best bike racks for Airstreams allow the shell to carry the weight, not the bumper.

The frame on these trailers is relatively lightweight and flexible, and relies on the shell for strength.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote