Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
Great Town , US
Before you install one, follow an RV with a bike rack, pay close attention when they hit a bump.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We just did it, itís fine if and thatís a big if itís built right and installed correctly. We had Cliffs in Mess AZ do ours. Same folks that did KYD

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
We just did it, itís fine if and thatís a big if itís built right and installed correctly. We had Cliffs in Mess AZ do ours. Same folks that did KYD
👍👍
Here is KYD!
They selected a rack that was sturdy enough to survive the up and down bikes get. It also tilts to allow access to the rear storage, and their AS does not use the rear window as an escape hatch.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Torklift central hitch

Anyone using the torklift hitch? Seems an easy solution that one could then use any hitch mounted carrier.
Iím gonna get one. I trust that company.

Curtis
Thorpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Ditto to Doug on the Fiamma bike rack, which is the only one approved by AS IMO.

The following threads are long, but contain most of the issues about putting more than a Fiamma rack on the rear of an Airstream:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ay-152451.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ec-153984.html

In addition to the points raised by Doug, the weight of the hitch receiver, bike rack, and bikes has a center of gravity which is much further away from the rear axle of the AS, than is true of a Fiamma rack setup. The difference in those two distances -- squared I believe -- is what makes the non-approved bike rack systems more volatile in causing sway.

Caveat Emptor IMO.

Stay safe!

Peter
agree with Fiama; this is our 3rd AS with a Fiama. It is very solid, no sway or movement, and not that difficult to access our rear hatch...(I been doing this for 9 years now with 3 different AS's!)

There are several folks who have had a hitch installed, with various results; sway is noticeable in every one I have looked closely at, let alone following someone with one of these hitch type add-ons. As was said, not every dealer will install and AS certainly does not endorse from my recollection. But, that doesn't stop folks from going their own way....No issues with the Fiama, except if your going to exceed the weight limits some recommend replacing bolts with SS bolts here on the Forum, earlier posts....many folks with E-bikes now)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:55 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
I have read a lot of fears expressed on these sites about any rack other than the fiamma. I suspect many of those folks are also ones who take multiple prescription medicines and yet fear the COVID vaccine. ….and perhaps always take their cars to the dealer versus work on it themselves or trust a good local mechanic.
I can’t imagine a foot or two further aft with reasonably light bikes versus heavy Walmart bikes with baskets or a few heavy cheap e bikes would make much of a difference.
I have read many stories of successful hitch installations with bike racks. I was just wondering about the torklift one in particular versus an expensive and seemingly heavier custom hitch setup.
Of course the dealer AS approved fiamma ones are quite expensive, require holes in ones AS, cannot be easily removed and compromise access to the hatches to a degree. But hey, it’s the dealer one so is likely to be the only solution that works. Right?

Thanks
Curtis
Old 07-16-2021, 04:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpflyer View Post
I have read a lot of fears expressed on these sites about any rack other than the fiamma. I suspect many of those folks are also ones who take multiple prescription medicines and yet fear the COVID vaccine. ….and perhaps always take their cars to the dealer versus work on it themselves or trust a good local mechanic.
I can’t imagine a foot or two further aft with reasonably light bikes versus heavy Walmart bikes with baskets or a few heavy cheap e bikes would make much of a difference.
I have read many stories of successful hitch installations with bike racks. I was just wondering about the torklift one in particular versus an expensive and seemingly heavier custom hitch setup.
Of course the dealer AS approved fiamma ones are quite expensive, require holes in ones AS, cannot be easily removed and compromise access to the hatches to a degree. But hey, it’s the dealer one so is likely to be the only solution that works. Right?

Thanks
Curtis
Well, there you go, Curtis "can't imagine" it would cause a problem. Issue resolved, subject over. If Curtis would tell us what his "imagination" says about the best hitch, tire pressure and pickup vs. auto we could stop having all those discussions also.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
I have read a lot of fears expressed on these sites about any rack other than the fiamma. I suspect many of those folks are also ones who take multiple prescription medicines and yet fear the COVID vaccine. Ö.and perhaps always take their cars to the dealer versus work on it themselves or trust a good local mechanic.
I canít imagine a foot or two further aft with reasonably light bikes versus heavy Walmart bikes with baskets or a few heavy cheap e bikes would make much of a difference.
Of course the dealer AS approved fiamma ones are quite expensive, require holes in ones AS, cannot be easily removed and compromise access to the hatches to a degree. But hey, itís the dealer one so is likely to be the only solution that works. Right?

Thanks
Curtis
Get the Torklift but why limit yourself to light bicycles? You should be able to carry 2 e-bikes, a generator, maybe an extra cooler with weight to spare. They do advertise a 450 pound limit.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Anyone using the torklift hitch? Seems an easy solution that one could then use any hitch mounted carrier.
I’m gonna get one. I trust that company.

Curtis
This one looks awesome! Should be well below the 450 pound limit. You could bring the kids bikes and the neighbors bikes as well.
https://loloracks.com/
Old 07-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
So the net carrying capacity before options on a 16 foot Bambi is 500 pounds. With a Torklift hitch you can carry 450 pounds mounted to the rear. Now that is truly an amazingly innovative product.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #31
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
The good news is, with some AS models, you can put on a 2Ē receiver hitch and a two bike carrier and haul bikes thousands and thousands of miles without a problem.
The bad news is, we will continue to debate it forever.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
Great Town , US
2" hitch under rear bumper compartment

Some of the concern is stress on the back floor, some are afraid of separation of the floor. I personally donít want to test the theory talking about 16í trailers, right.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
Great Town , US
2" hitch under rear bumper compartment

Iíd like bike rack that uses deer rack design. After seeing the photo, I had this revolutionary idea[emoClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	399640ji854]
Old 07-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Well, there you go, Curtis "can't imagine" it would cause a problem. Issue resolved, subject over. If Curtis would tell us what his "imagination" says about the best hitch, tire pressure and pickup vs. auto we could stop having all those discussions also.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and rest assured, all you see here are opinions.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and rest assured, all you see here are opinions.
I wasnít posting opinions. Torklift says their product is good for 450 pounds and will work with any model Airstream.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If your loaded Torklift receiver mount causes frame separation on your relatively new Airstream, are they going to pay to repair it? Airstream isnít going to.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
Great Town , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
If your loaded Torklift receiver mount causes frame separation on your relatively new Airstream, are they going to pay to repair it? Airstream isnít going to.

FAA call sign
Old 07-16-2021, 10:55 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericncsu1204 View Post
I think it's dependent on the coach. A smaller one, prob not a good idea, but a larger one like ours (30' FC 30FB that will be towed with a 2020 GMC 3500HD with a prop ride hitch), I'm not worried about 150 pounds of hitch and bikes on the back. All you hear about the Fiamma Rack is that is breaks. I also don't like the idea of screwing into the shell. Our RV rated Yakima hitch mounted rack has served us well for over 20,000 miles and barely moves (you can watch it on the rear mounted camera).
The decision to make modifications to your beautiful AS is dependent on not only the model and length, as you stated Eric, but also the owners preference, travel requirements and risk assessment. I like to review the many great ideas posted by other Airstream owners and then make my own decision based on need & serviceability. My choice was to weld in a 2" receiver with an enhanced frame support under the bumper with a 4 bike Thule rack. Many many miles later, although the bikes have suffered a life on road exposed to the elements, no AS structural or towing issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	399644  
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:34 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Quote:
I donít think I own anything new enough for the factory to take on any repairs, especially my highly modified home built airplane. I take plenty of risk in life. It makes it more enjoyable and I suppose a couple light bikes on back of my 30í airstream will be another but calculated risk as I have read about plenty folks whoíve done it before me successfully. And yes my imagining engineering mind canít imagine it being a big problem.

I appreciate having everyoneís opinion to take in and then make mineÖ
Old 07-17-2021, 05:56 AM   #40
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Still waiting for a single report of frame separation on a modern AS with a rear receiver hitch carrying two bikes. I have not heard of one. I see lots of reports of bikes hauled this way without problems.