Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I assume that SUP'N Woman's 16' Bambi doesn't have a bumper so that the Fiamma Bike Rack can rest on the bumper. Also, the two eBikes may be too heavy for Fiamma rack. It may work for longer AS trailers but probably not our 16' Bambi. I do not have a bumper but I sure wish I do. The 16' Carvel has all the works including the bumper and the GVWR is 4,300 lbs while the 16 Bambi is 3,500 lbs GVWR. I don't think its safe to tow too close to 5000 lbs for my Explorer. I gave up the idea of installing bumper.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
I own a tandem bike and a 16' Sport, I finally came up with the front hitch for my Tundra (eTrailer sells a hitch). I did cut it down some, so it was level with the hood and yes, the bike does get a little dirty. But weight and size made it a better solution. Now I am thinking about a canoe... front T-bar! Good luck !
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitger View Post
I own a tandem bike and a 16' Sport, I finally came up with the front hitch for my Tundra (eTrailer sells a hitch). I did cut it down some, so it was level with the hood and yes, the bike does get a little dirty. But weight and size made it a better solution. Now I am thinking about a canoe... front T-bar! Good luck !
so the canoe will be over your Tundra? sounds like fun.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
@SUP'n Woman
the fiamma needs a bumper. if so, get a dealer to install the rack

the cast bracket that mounts on the back wall from FIAMMA is low grade and breaks easily. Check this forum for the SS version that one supplier makes and use it
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
SilverFire,
What is TV bike storage? I'm afraid I have no clue as to what you're discussing, and look forward to hearing your response. Thanks!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
I assume that SUP'N Woman's 16' Bambi doesn't have a bumper so that the Fiamma Bike Rack can rest on the bumper. Also, the two eBikes may be too heavy for Fiamma rack. It may work for longer AS trailers but probably not our 16' Bambi. I do not have a bumper but I sure wish I do. The 16' Carvel has all the works including the bumper and the GVWR is 4,300 lbs while the 16 Bambi is 3,500 lbs GVWR. I don't think its safe to tow too close to 5000 lbs for my Explorer. I gave up the idea of installing bumper.
Halford1, you are correct; I'm almost positive there is no bumper.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP'n Woman View Post
Halford1, you are correct; I'm almost positive there is no bumper.
Members of this AirForum meant well but still one size doesn't fit all. I am not going to tell others whatever works for 16' Bambi will for sure work for longer AS. Many things may work both ways but not this case.

Putting bikes in rear end of 16' Bambi will throw the proper weight distribution off.

Putting bikes on tongue may be ok but it depends on the tongue weight allowed for TV.

I end up putting bikes in my Explorer but will now put bikes inside Bambi with help of bike rack stand and Timberidge folding chairs to keep bike from falling sideways. I will see how this method goes during Father's Day Weekend camping.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Members of this AirForum meant well but still one size doesn't fit all. I am not going to tell others whatever works for 16' Bambi will for sure work for longer AS. Many things may work both ways but not this case.

Putting bikes in rear end of 16' Bambi will throw the proper weight distribution off.

Putting bikes on tongue may be ok but it depends on the tongue weight allowed for TV.

I end up putting bikes in my Explorer but will now put bikes inside Bambi with help of bike rack stand and Timberidge folding chairs to keep bike from falling sideways. I will see how this method goes during Father's Day Weekend camping.
Putting bikes on the rear of a 16 will not necessarily “throw” the weight distribution off if done properly. For two heavy e-bike]s there is probably no good solution.
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
After looking at many options I decided to go the route that many van users to carry bikes. Simple, two fork mounts, non skid carpet pad. Two trips to Co, one to Florida, no issues. Bikes are secure, dry, and we can use everything in the sport 16 except the table without removing the bikes. One ebike and one MTB.
Sport16 STL,
Would you be willing to send more details about how you "made" this device so I can share it with someone who may be more savvy than I am with tools? Thanks so much for the input as it looks like this will be a much more cost-efficient, quicker mode of transporting them than trying to figure out how to get a rack on the back side. SUP'n Woman
Old 06-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
I was tired last night and did not explain how I would carry bikes on camping trips. I used to put bikes inside my Explorer after taking out pedals. I never like putting bikes inside so I did research and I put both bikes inside my Bambi. It wasn't that bad. I put my Timberidge folding chairs on both sides of the 2 bikes. It would keep the bikes from hitting the bathroom door and closet door. but it would not stop the bikes from lurging forward if I attempt to do a quick braking. so I ordered a 2-Bike Rack Stand to keep bikes from moving forward. i am supposed to get the package tomorrow from Amazon. Both bikes are lightweight and would not increase cargo weight much. I would rather do this than putting bikes in my Explorer or rear of Bambi. The weight will be on the axle and little more toward tongue. It will NOT cause swaying. I might come up with an idea after doing this experiment.
Halford1,
I'm interested in hearing how your package from Amazon worked out! I do realize that if we put the bikes inside, it will limit our weight by about 100lbs. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Why e-bikes?

They are very heavy and are essentially motorcycles. They have little exercise value and generally have too much torque for most seniors to handle safely.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I think that e-bikes are equalizers. I have been road biking for decades but my wife has been plagued with knee injuries. In our case, I would see her on an e-bike to be able to ride at a rate that works for me as well. Otherwise, it is no fun for either of us.

Depending on the type of e-bike, they offer some assistance but still require pedal input. I think if you are able to add about 100 watts of e-bike, you will be able to tackle most rides and stay with your group.

At least that's my take on them.

This is what I would get for my wife!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e-bike.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	370063  
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I think that e-bikes are equalizers. I have been road biking for decades but my wife has been plagued with knee injuries. In our case, I would see her on an e-bike to be able to ride at a rate that works for me as well. Otherwise, it is no fun for either of us.

Depending on the type of e-bike, they offer some assistance but still require pedal input. I think if you are able to add about 100 watts of e-bike, you will be able to tackle most rides and stay with your group.

At least that's my take on them.

This is what I would get for my wife!
Yes I have right knee problem and i can pedal bikes on level ground but not steep uphill. Hope to get me an eBike someday if my knee get worse.

I knew an elderly couple who came to a popup rally when I had the Coleman Niagara popup.. they had an eBike and it was like amazing experience, I actually went fast uphill with very little effort.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #34
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Why e-bikes?

They are very heavy and are essentially motorcycles. They have little exercise value and generally have too much torque for most seniors to handle safely.
Some are. They have throttles, and are essentially low speed motorcycles. Those are very different than electric assist bikes, which provide no power unless you are pedalling. These designs allow people to get exercise, and to go further, while helping with hills.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Why e-bikes?

There is a broad spectrum of e-bikes. My 85 year old 95 pound mother in-law rides one daily for all of her local errands.
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #36
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
E-Bike for Bambi 16'

SUP'n Woman:
TV = Tow Vehicle
One of the many values of the forum is experience. Several posts have discussed Fiamma bike rack failures with lightweight bikes. E-bikes are heavier, further exacerbating the load capacity of Fiamma bike racks that are prone to failure and only rated for lightweight bikes.

What many are explaining is an E-bike stowed inside your tow vehicle or carried on a front-mounted receiver hitch (front of your TV) offers the greatest support for the heavier load carrying an e-bike. The Fiamma bike rack is a fixed installation too, making access to your rear cargo compartment difficult. That rear storage compartment is a big asset.

FYI: A bumper upgrade added to a 16' is worth it, to eliminate the ABS sewer tube management issue and to protect the rear of the trailer. All AS trailers should be only offered with rear bumpers for the price they charge. The bumper storage compartment makes stowing your sewer hose and longer items easy. You'll regret fighting that sewer hose on the ground with the stock ABS sewer tube. Your back and knees will thank you too. Good luck.
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFire View Post
SUP'n Woman:
TV = Tow Vehicle
One of the many values of the forum is experience. Several posts have discussed Fiamma bike rack failures with lightweight bikes. E-bikes are heavier, further exacerbating the load capacity of Fiamma bike racks that are prone to failure and only rated for lightweight bikes.

What many are explaining is an E-bike stowed inside your tow vehicle or carried on a front-mounted receiver hitch (front of your TV) offers the greatest support for the heavier load carrying an e-bike. The Fiamma bike rack is a fixed installation too, making access to your rear cargo compartment difficult. That rear storage compartment is a big asset.

FYI: A bumper upgrade added to a 16' is worth it, to eliminate the ABS sewer tube management issue and to protect the rear of the trailer. All AS trailers should be only offered with rear bumpers for the price they charge. The bumper storage compartment makes stowing your sewer hose and longer items easy. You'll regret fighting that sewer hose on the ground with the stock ABS sewer tube. Your back and knees will thank you too. Good luck.
all right one big good reason for adding bumper... ahhhh ill think about it

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 06-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
"Old man, my....." (the greatest line in "Red.")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-intro-Pedego-Trail-Tracker-Wheelie.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	370100  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #39
BeemerPilot

1975 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
I travel with my Rad ebike leaned against the sofa with a large furniture moving blanket from Harbor Freight protecting the sofa. $6 and no problems after two years and 10K miles.
BeemerPilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Tryon , North Carolina
Arvika bike carrier

I just wanted to chime-in in support of the Arvika bike carrier. We just completed our first trip with two Ebikes aboard with no problems. I ordered the extra front support arms for added security.
Bmwcruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote