Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Latrobe , Pennsylvania
1973 SOV w/ ML320CDI TV: hitch, etc. advice

Ok everyone, I know there is a ton of info about this previously posted. I've read quite a bit already about the pros and cons of this hitch vs. that hitch, as well as how to weigh things at a commercial scale, balance, weight distribution, spring bar rating, ad nauseum. That being said, let's have a conversation about the here and now.

I've just taken delivery of my new (to me) vintage AS. It's a 31' rear bath Sov. I've got a 2008 ML with the V6 turbo diesel equipped with a factory MBZ hitch. I'm having my local mechanic reinforce the hitch, as others have done, with a pair of gussets and an extender bolted to the rear suspension subframe. With this modification, the Benz will no doubt handle the 7200# GVW of the Sov without issue. Mine doesn't have air suspension, so I'm curious as to what those have done with normal springs.

I really like the tech behind the Reese straight line. I also like the Anderson. I also like a handful of brake controllers, but haven't decided on one yet. There's been a mention of a towing chip to unleash the wild side of the motor. Who makes the best mirror extenders? There are so many at different price points...how can a guy choose?

I'm sure I can arrive at an excellent end on my own, but I'd much rather defer to those wiser and more experienced than myself. With so many variables, so many choices. Who likes what and why? MBZ owners: what works well for you? How much would a chip help? Do I need to consider suspension mods since I'm not running the air leveling rear suspension found on the upgraded models of the ML?

Currently the AS is parked in a storage place, awaiting a few days' worth of renovations before I move into it fulltime. (btw, I'm training to be a CRNA so the AS will be home, parked quietly outside the varied and well-spaced hospitals where rotations take place over the upcoming 18 months...but that's a different story altogether).

So what do you all think? Any and all discussion and advice is most appreciated.

-el_anesthete
el_anesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
London , Ontario
Hi

We hitch up up 2008 mb 320ml diesel to a 2007 classic 27fb using a hensley. The mb hitch was reinforced as the factory hitch would not cut it. We have had zero problems on all fronts except the occasional feel of a truck going by. Can't comment on the hitches you are trying but the MB is a great tow vehicle and gets great mileage. You will no doubt enjoy it to the fullest. To say nothing of the fact the MB is a great daily driver as well.
boomerBear is offline   Reply With Quote