Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #1

Petersburg , Michigan
1967 Marvel hitch

I have a 1967 Airstream with a marvel hitch and the coupler mechanism is just missing. My understanding is that the correct replacement parts are no longer available. What’s the best fix?
Jeffv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #2

Petersburg , Michigan
Photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	982B6119-94B3-4ECB-BB28-D2818BDB58F4.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	406616
Old 10-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I will be watching your thread with interest. My 1961 Marvel coupler is complete, but it did not want to release the hitch ball on one occasion...so I am a bit leery of it.

I actually bought a new 2 5/16" coupler assembly to weld on in place of the Marvel, but my welder friend said to take it apart and clean it up...it should work fine after some love.

Supposing things don't clean up well enough, and I need to actually replace parts, I am curious as to what direction you gain here.

Seems to me a "universal" coupler repair kit should work. The parts are not unique to Marvel and have been the gold standard for decades. Fitment with a little modification, perhaps?
Old 10-24-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Well, prompted by your post...I took apart my 1961 Marvel hitch coupler for investigation and cleaning. The parts (pics when I get a chance) are NOT like modern replacement parts. It has a spring like those made today, but the shape/make-up of the ball locking mechanism is not remotely similar.

I wish I had kept the locking mechanism out of the '64 Bambi II Marvel coupler that got scrapped along with the rotten tongue it was attached to. Hindsight...it would have been very easy to remove the locking mechanism before the rest got scrapped, but I already had a modern coupler to weld on, and wasn't interested in reviving the old one or in saving any parts.

I believe I will be able to get this one working...and I already bought a 2 5/16" replacement coupler...that I likely won't be using this time around.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #5

Petersburg , Michigan
Yes, I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is to cut this hitch off and weld on a modern one.

Tags