Old 10-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton maneuverability; International 23 CB

Hello, been lurking a lot, but not posting much (yet).

My wife and I just ordered a 2021 International 23 CB (arrives in April).

We currently do not own a vehicle capable, but have been actively looking. Most likely would not replace one of our existing vehicles (both are newer leases, so timing wouldnít be cost effective).

We are back and forth between the a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (primarily the F-150 and the F-250). We understand the benefits and shortcomings of both, but the one aspect thatís hard for us it visualize if maneuverability.

We went with the 23 to fit into smaller spots and increase where we can visit. We debated the 25, but felt that it was a bit bigger than we needed.

With either truck, we would go with a crew cab as we have a family of 5 (likely only 4 of us would head out most trips). From what Iíve found, the overall length of the 3/4 to is a foot+ compared to the 1/2 ton.

My question (after this long post) is around backing a trailer up into tight(er) with the longer truck.

Does the extra length have a significant impact on maneuverability? Aiming for a short bed on the 3/4, but options are limited in the used market, so a long bed might be the only option.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Batman0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Half ton pick-ups and 3/4 ton pick-ups are the same length with a standard bed. Both Ford and Chevrolet offer a baby bed on the half ton only.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman0424 View Post

We currently do not own a vehicle capable, but have been actively looking. Most likely would not replace one of our existing vehicles (both are newer leases, so timing wouldnít be cost effective).

We are back and forth between the a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (primarily the F-150 and the F-250). We understand the benefits and shortcomings of both, but the one aspect thatís hard for us it visualize if maneuverability.

We went with the 23 to fit into smaller spots and increase where we can visit. We debated the 25, but felt that it was a bit bigger than we needed.

With either truck, we would go with a crew cab as we have a family of 5 (likely only 4 of us would head out most trips). From what Iíve found, the overall length of the 3/4 to is a foot+ compared to the 1/2 ton.

My question (after this long post) is around backing a trailer up into tight(er) with the longer truck.

Does the extra length have a significant impact on maneuverability? Aiming for a short bed on the 3/4, but options are limited in the used market, so a long bed might be the only option.

Absolutely. You should check out TFLtruck.com. They did a maneuverability test comparing the F150 to F250. It is very clear the F250 needs a wider turning radius. No question. One of the reasons I didnít buy one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UrIE8rnCF9tX2x
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman0424 View Post

We currently do not own a vehicle capable, but have been actively looking. Most likely would not replace one of our existing vehicles (both are newer leases, so timing wouldn’t be cost effective).

We are back and forth between the a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (primarily the F-150 and the F-250). We understand the benefits and shortcomings of both, but the one aspect that’s hard for us it visualize if maneuverability.

With either truck, we would go with a crew cab as we have a family of 5 (likely only 4 of us would head out most trips). From what I’ve found, the overall length of the 3/4 to is a foot+ compared to the 1/2 ton.

I find that my RAM 2500 is slightly less maneuverable in tight spots but steadier and more predictable when towing than was my RAM 1500.

Two other things that you may want to look at is cargo capacity and future proofing.

A family of four and a crew cab will meet cargo carrying and tongue weight limits pretty quickly. Always determine your truck's cargo capacity by the sticker on the door jamb, not from online specs and brochures.

We started out with a 23D and a RAM 1500, then moved to a 2500 before a trip to Alaska where we needed lots more cargo capacity and good mountain performance. On our return we purchased a 25FB which is perfectly matched to the 2500.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
My 2020 F150 XLT super crew is configured to tow 12,500lbs. More than adequate to tow your 23’ AS. I tow a 28’ Airstream with no problem. This debate rages on in this forum on a constant basis. If you are making a decision based upon capability and maneuverability the F150 configured correctly is completely adequate to tow a 23’ AS. It is a better daily driver, is less costly upfront, gets better gas mileage, rides better, parks better, and will actually fit in a normal garage. Now you will get people responding to you and say you must use an F250 because bigger is better is the argument. I say well it all depends. If I were towing every single day or towing over even towing 50% of the time then a 3/4 ton for a 23’ AS could be the best option. But I tow my Airstream 5 or 6 times a year. The rest of the time I use it to daily drive. And you will hear the payload argument. Well I have no problem with payload with my 28’. Again I’m only gone for a week or so at a time. I don’t have to take 4 weeks of stuff along; whatever that might look like. Although I doubt it would be much different. So I don’t need more payload. But if you are going to take a 4 wheeler along with your 23’ AS you might need an F250. It really depends on what you are doing and using it for. In other words if you are taking along a bunch of gear that weighs a lot then an F250 may be the way to go. But if you are a light camper then an F150 is completely suitable.

If you simply ask the question which one is more maneuverable the answer is without a doubt an F150.

But as to which truck to own is very personal decision depending upon your driving use and the way you are going to camp. I bought the F150 because it fits who we are and where we go. We don’t take lots of stuff. We are gone for about a week or so at a time at the most. And I pack all the light bulky stuff in the back of the pickup.

Point: There is no single right tow vehicle. It depends upon how you the driver will use it. But don’t buy the Kool-Aid that says you MUST have an F250 no matter what. NOT TRUE.

https://www.airstream.com/blog/the-c...-towing-guide/
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton maneuverability; International 23 CB

Disclaimer I tow an 27 with an F350, having said that I think a properly configured F150 will be fine for your 23. The magic number is payload, so look at the published hitch weight, add 100lbs or so for fudge factor, add up the weight of the normal stuff you know goes in to the truck (people, dogs, grill, bikes, generator, wood, chairs etc. ). Leave some capacity for safety. From what I can see no reason a F150 wonít be fine. Pay attention to the payload sticker on the drivers door, thatís the one that matters.

Now if your talking about a 27 or larger the rules are the same but tongue weight is much higher so IMHO you need a bigger truck. You mileage may vary.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Thank you all for the quick, and very thorough, responses - this has been very informative.

Before I get into some thoughts, can anyone comment on backing your camper into tighter spots (ie camping spots, narrow lanes) with a 3/4 ton? Asking because trailering is new for me and the last spot we went (Poconos) had “tight” spots, and I’m trying to visualize the difficulty in parking. For that specific trip, we rented a 24’ Winnebago (Class B) and getting into and out of the spot had a few tight aspects - specifically the front and rear overhang. Backing the trailer would be different and I don’t have a full frame of reference (will be parking lot practicing with some cones before we take it out for a trip).

Payload has been my biggest concern. I’ve found a sweet spot with the new gen F-150 where used trucks I’ve found are consistently in the 1700-1900 range (XL/SXT and XLT; Lariats lower the number a bit too much and I’ve found none with the HD package). The F-250s are constantly above 2k with many options.

We will mostly be doing weekend trips with a 1-2 week trip a year (while the kids are in school). The rest of the time the truck will act as a part-time family hauler and for hauling gardening/ household stuff - won’t be a daily.

Tough decision - don’t want to under or over buy.
Batman0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
On a 23’ I would 100% be comfortable with a 150 class truck. It was the 25’ length where tongue weights started eating into payload uncomfortably for me and my family of four. As others have mentioned, payload is the number to look at.

As for turning radius, on a 27’ Globetrotter I have not had issues with the turning radius of the 250. Some of this is probably just the geometry of backing into a spot and the spots I typically had. I was very happy to have the 250 when pushing the trailer up a hill while backing up, but again that’s the 27’.

The turning radius is a much bigger issue while just driving around (mostly parking lots), not while towing.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I tow a 23’ International with a GMC 1/2 ton crew cab, short box truck. The truck tows beautifully, the maneuverability is great, and I have no regrets. I have to be aware of cargo loads and weights, but it hasn’t been a problem so far.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
I’ve had no difficulty maneuvering my 30’ into tight spaces with my 3/4 ton Ram.

That being said, for a 23’ I’d definitely go with a 1/2 ton. In addition to the reasons mentioned above they have significantly lower bed heights. I love my 2500, but that tailgate is way up in the air. It makes for a lot more work loading and unloading stuff.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:23 AM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have a 25 ft. I have a 1/2 ton single cab with an 8ft bed and a 1 ton crew cab with an 8 ft bed. No doubt the 1/2 ton takes less maneuvering in tight spots. However, I havent found a site I couldn't get the camper in with the bigger truck it, it just takes a bit more effort.
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
I have a Flying Cloud 23fd and just upgraded tow vehicle from 1500 Ram Eco Diesel to 2500 Chevy with duramax. The 2500 rides better, gets significantly better mileage when towing and has a higher cargo
Capacity plus if I ever need a bigger travel
Trailer I have the truck to pull it. No one ever
Wished they bought the smaller tow vehicle.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Savoy , Texas
Our 23FB doesn't have enough room to carry all the stuff we take. A 1/2 ton may be overloaded. That's why we have a F250.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A *lot* depends on just what "stuff" comes along with your group of 4 or 5 people when you head out and about. The cargo / payload capacity of the 23' is pretty limited. Goodies will have to go in the TV.

Something in the vicinity of 1,000 pounds will "go away" from the truck's payload numbers once you hook up the trailer. You can burn through the rest of a typical 150's numbers pretty quickly with various bring along items.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Previously had 25'FC towed with Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost for 35,000 miles over 5 years. Great truck loved it. One year now with a 30' Classic towed with F250 diesel 7,000 miles.
Backing a trailer into a slot is really no different with either truck. The biggest difference is every day driving around town, prefer the F150 for that. As stated payload is the biggest difference as well as turning radius. You can't beat the bigger truck for highway towing comparing the two. The 23' AS is lighter than the 25' so I'd go for the F150 but its just my wife and I +dog. Look closely at how much weight you'll be carrying to make a decision and where and how often you'll be using the AS. Good Luck!
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #16
RMD
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Ft. Washington , Pennsylvania
2019 F150 Lariat

Payload on my 2019 F150 Lariat, 3.5L, crewcab, short bed, 4x4 @ 1,851 lbs. Tows our 23í FB twin effortlessly.
RMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
I went from a 2020 F150 to a 2020 F350 (was looking for a 250 7.3 gas, so for purposes of discussion it wouldn't matter)

It came down to payload. The F-150 with Max Tow I had 1800lbs of payload. Trailer + ProPride + Bikes + Tools + Dog + Generator + Wood + etc etc etc. I hit 1700 lbs.

The F350 with a Diesel has 3100lbs.

It was amazing how fast the weight added up.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
How many folks come back from a trip with a 23í AS and say I need a larger trailer? Bed configuration is a big consideration for longer trailers.

If you can find a used 1/2 ton with about 2000 lb payload, E rated tires, factory tow mirrors, larger gas tank, adequate rear axle rating, you will enjoy the greater maneuverability compared to a 3/4 ton.

Suggest you go to a dealer and drive both trucks. Include a drive and park close-in at a big box store. What are your friends towing their trailers with?

Parking our 26í and 34í AS has not been hindered by our 3/4 ton. However, u turns with and without the trailer requires a lot of extra room, include gas stations in that comment.

Have fun shopping for a used TV. We are assisting a friend with a Lance trailer that wants to move to a 3/4 ton. We have not found many trucks with less than 100,000 miles on them. 1/2 tons are more available with lower mileages.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
If you study the Ford, Chevrolet, RAM, Toyota, etc. websites, you should be able to find the turning radius for whatever vehicle you are thinking about. As others have stated, you also need to carefully at the truck's carrying capacity as well. Carefully think about how much "stuff" you want/need to carry in your truck to help guide your decision. I moved up from a Tundra to a F-250, but I also have a 30' trailer. I have encountered some small, older campgrounds that were very tight making it almost impossible to maneuver into. With a smaller trailer, it shouldn't be a problem after you have practice driving and backing with your trailer.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Test drive and test drive some more. Ask about the towing features and ask for a demonstration! Take the kids, the dog and any thing you are thinking of hauling along to be sure how it fits. Then also research local dealers to see who has the best reputation. Then select the one that feels best to you.

While we loved our Ford F250, we discovered the Chevy 2500 is quieter, has a more comfortable back seat and a much smaller turning radius. The local Chevy service center is far better than the local Ford shop we also helped to finalize our choice.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote