Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The important thing is for newbies to realize that swaying down the road with white knuckles is not the normal state for towing a trailer. Our 1/2 ton van is oversized for our trailer, and if we ever upgrade I want to continue to have a vehicle that is times and a half what we need. Towing is one place where I always want to have 'more than enough'!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'd have to echo the thoughts of Bill. I've always been a van person so I been through quite a few 1/2 ton vans. I've always considered the experience good but when I moved up to the 3/4 ton size it became very evident how much better things could be.

My trailer at that time was a 6000 lb. '01 27' Safari and I felt so good about how my half ton van handled it. This in light of coming from a 28' square SOB to an Airstream, which in itself was a revelation in towing ease. But when I traded for the 3/4 van (I was buying for the future), and felt how that big frame and suspension handled that Safari, I unexpectantly realized that there really was a difference, and it was for the better.

From a monetary standpoint in the world of vans, the pricing difference between the half ton world and three quarter ton world is negligible. But consider the fact that you are getting larger wheels, brakes, tires, suspension system, and a better transmission, you are getting so much more. Then if you are like me and you decide to up size your Airstream, you already have the tow vehicle to move forward with.

My only issues with going to the 3/4 ton vehicle is the fact that the empty ride is rougher....no doubt, and the fact that the van sits a little higher. Enough so that I had to remove the weather strip trim from the top of my garage door framing to allow the van into the garage.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
no doubt, and the fact that the van sits a little higher. Enough so that I had to remove the weather strip trim from the top of my garage door framing to allow the van into the garage.

Jack
Well said Jack....my Burb has a few hairs between the bottom of the door and the roof of the Burb. If there were nats between the burb and garage door bottom, they'd die from a lack of oxygen, it's that close.

In GM land a 3/4 ton typically gets you an engine upgrade too (5.3L to either 6.0L or 8.1L). The only exception is the SS pickup and the 1500HD (both half tons) that both come with the 6.0L.

But I wouldn't have it any other way......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #24
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
The important thing is for newbies to realize that swaying down the road with white knuckles is not the normal state for towing a trailer. Our 1/2 ton van is oversized for our trailer, and if we ever upgrade I want to continue to have a vehicle that is times and a half what we need. Towing is one place where I always want to have 'more than enough'!
Yep! You don't need a 3/4 ton to tow a Bambi, but having "more than enough" TV is the key...
Not having enough, or just barely enough TV as someone else commented, is the leading cause of yard art.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
JakBluMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
What % Capacity

I seen a Ford Explorer pulling a rather large Jayco last month, sort of got me interested in reading up on towing. I wonder how it held up?----------

My old 72 Trade Wind is only about 4500 Lb empty & about 5500+ loaded. I have pulled it with a 3/4 ton Chevy diesel (got stuck on level ground - wet clay + a heavy engine) - I did get out without much trouble, it just took awhile. It was annoying with several 1/2 tonners going around me--yes I had 4 wheel drive on it.

I have also pulled that same trailer with my 1/2 ton Sierra I do have a 5.3L and cannot speak for the 4.8L, but I have not had a single problem. If the trailer was much heavier I may want a 3/4 but for the weight I have the 1\2 ton does fine, even in the hills of SW Wisconsin. I belive my trucks towing capacity is about 7500 Lb.

I do agree about upgrading if you are near the capacity of a towing vehicle. There are some draw backs to 3/4 tonners, like fuel consumption, tires, cost and a couple of other minor things. There are very clear, obvious and numerous advantages as well. I would not upgrade just for the sake of having a larger truck - unless it was a $deal$ or I needed a larger truck.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
I seen a Ford Explorer pulling a rather large Jayco last month, sort of got me interested in reading up on towing. I wonder how it held up?----------
We saw an a Blazer that towed what looked to be the remains of a 25' SOB. I say remains because he was sticking out the passenger rear window and his wife was standing through the passenger front window of their Blazer as it rested on it's side on the highway. The trailer was in the grassy median having come to rest after several rolls. Their dog must have been in the RV, wasn't hurt and was running down the Interstate. Contents of the RV were scattered all over.

The odds are that eventually that Explorer will have a higher chance of the same thing happening.

After seeing this and my exp towing our 25' Safari with a Chevy sedan, which had the power to do the job....I picked up the 3/4 Suburban when we got back from that trip.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
A couple years back there was an explorer that was on its side in AZ in
the grassy median with a sob trailer destroyed .Their lives seemingly on hold
at that moment .You only need to see these wrecks once in your life ,to
know that having a TV that is more than capable to handle your trailer
and your family is a must .Just cannot make it any plainer than that .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
A couple years back there was an explorer that was on its side in AZ in
the grassy median with a sob trailer destroyed .Their lives seemingly on hold
at that moment .You only need to see these wrecks once in your life ,to
know that having a TV that is more than capable to handle your trailer
and your family is a must .Just cannot make it any plainer than that .

Scott
Agreed...this was the photo of the last trip my SS towed the Safari:

http://www.airforums.com/photo...?i=6455&c=3152