Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Wonderful information

I just joined the Airstream formums and so far rather impressed with all the great conversation. I too will soon to be an Airstream owner with soon to purchase Safari 25' A model to tow with my Tundra LTD 2002 model vehicle. I really dont have many questions to ask as I have been researching this vehicle, look sees, brochures etc for some time. It has been a very interesting hunt to find the right trailer as I have up till now been somewhat undecided between Airstream, Bigfoot, Sunline and Apenlite Asen. But after reading so much from Airstream owners I am most confident about right decission now. Only remaining question might be what would be best hook up for my Tundra to pull 25' Safari, mean hitch etc. Thanks again for all the great info.

2002 Tundra Toyota LTD V-8 w/trailer package
Soon to be owner or 2004 Airstream 25' Safari
desertone61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice!! You'll have a bunch of fun with it! We've been on 3 trips so far and each one has exceeded our expectations.

Welcome!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Tow hitch:
I tow my 25' with an eaz lift weight distributing hitch with a single sway control. Works, but not stellar.
I hear from other forum members that they are very satisfied with their Reese cam type sway conrol hitches.
Others swear by the Hensley Arrow. ( www.nosway.com )
If i was to tow a lot, and I mean an entire whole lot, then I would try the Hensley. They give you a trial period, with a money back guarantee.
The dealer in Irvine, CA offers good discounts on the Airstream models, and has a special where they give a free weight distributing hitch, a Reese, I believe. They also throw in a cool little 1:18 Airstream model with every purchase...Bo was the guy that was going to sell us the 25CCD last weekend before we decided against it.
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wonderful information

Greetings Desertone61!

Welcome to the Forum!

While my coach is four decades older than yours, the weights involved and sizes are similar. I have used the Reese Straight-Line hitch with Reese Dual Cam Sway Control since acquiring the trailer in 1995. I have towed this trailer with multiple tow vehicles, and the hitch has performed beautifully with each of the tow vehicles. (I would estimate the total number of miles towed with this setup at 40,000.) No problems with sway, and an absolutely wonderful towing experience. As with most hitch products, a key factor in satisfaction with this hitch system is a proper setup from the beginning.

Good luck with your hitch decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
Tow hitch:
I tow my 25' with an eaz lift weight distributing hitch with a single sway control. Works, but not stellar.
I hear from other forum members that they are very satisfied with their Reese cam type sway conrol hitches.
Others swear by the Hensley Arrow. ( www.nosway.com )
If i was to tow a lot, and I mean an entire whole lot, then I would try the Hensley. They give you a trial period, with a money back guarantee.
The dealer in Irvine, CA offers good discounts on the Airstream models, and has a special where they give a free weight distributing hitch, a Reese, I believe. They also throw in a cool little 1:18 Airstream model with every purchase...Bo was the guy that was going to sell us the 25CCD last weekend before we decided against it.
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2003, 06:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks You Guys & Gals

Ya"all" really make a newbie feel welcomed.

I read read read all the info avail and surely looking forward to that new one come this October.

Uwe, you mentioned dealer in Irvine, Ca that sells with good discounts. Would you be so kind as to forward their name, location as I would like to contact them asap.

Thanks again for a great introduction into AS.

I look forward in many more years of our conversation.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Re: Thanks You Guys & Gals

Quote:
Originally posted by desertone61
Uwe, you mentioned dealer in Irvine, Ca that sells with good discounts. Would you be so kind as to forward their name, location as I would like to contact them asap.
As a CA resident I recommend AGAINST traveling to CA to purchase a trailer from a dealer. CA is so hungry for tax money that they have made it nearly impossible for a dealer to sell anything withour collecting sales tax which range from 7-8 1/2% depending on county.

I suggest that you check out these 3 dealers, the 1st is in OH, the 2nd in OR, and the last in TX.

http://www.paulsherry.com/airstream/showroom.htm

http://www.gmsrv.com/index2.cfm

http://www.trailertown.com/

The first 2 offer deep discounts from MSRP (typically $6-7,000 off on a 25' Safari), not sure about the TX dealer.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote