RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-03-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
lemon grove , California
Unhappy Refrigerator

I have a 2002 Safari. I've been having a problem with the refrigerator, the dealer has had it 3 times and has been unable to correct it.
What's happening is it won't light on gas. When it was working correctly you could hear the igniter trying to light it would try for awhile and then I would have to turn it off and on again then it would light.
Now you don't hear it trying to light. It will work on electric once i get to my destination and it will eventually work on gas. The dealer has replaced the circuit board and the igniter.
Any out there experience this problem or have any ideas what it might be?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Ken Roberts
trning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Ken,

The problem that I would had with my fridge is that it would ignite before I left for my drive, but by the time I reached my destination, the check light was on. What was happening was that the pilot was getting blown out while on the trip and not reigniting. It has been fixed since.

I know that your problem is different, but I thought my experience might help a little.

Josh
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
lemon grove , California
Josh

Thanks for your reply. When mine would light on gas I never had it blow out during a trip. This problem is very frustrating because we dry camp alot and without having it light on gas makes very difficult. Plus it's an hour and a half drive to take it to the nearest dealer.
If you go back in the old posts I believe I saw several posts on your problem.

Thanks again
Ken
Old 02-03-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Ken,

I can certainly appreciate what kind of problem this is for you with all the dry camping that you do. Hopefully, we'll all figure out a solution to this sooner than later.

I am going to be at my Airstream dealer tomorrow and will ask if he has any input. Hopefully he has seen something like this before.

Are all of your other gas accesories working well? Is it possible that something is clogged?

Josh
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
We have the 2002 Bambi & have had the same problem, or so we thought. Turns out the the signal panel in the trailer was bad & while the flame would light, it wasn't showing on the panel. I would keep on trying to get it to light & could't hear the ignitor. I kept thinking it wasn't lighting, when really it was burning. Dometic has sent me the new part that goes right above the fridge & has a pointer that goes to green portion, when on propane. you may want to check this out on yours.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
lemon grove , California
refrigerator

Thanks guys for the replies.

Josh all my other appliances seem to work fine. Let me know what they say at the dealer. I bought my 2000 Bambie from Oasis. They are Great to deal with.

Thanks

Ken
Old 03-18-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

water in fridge compartment + outside air leak over frig

Just got back from Big Bend, Tx.
If my gas bottles are shut off, like after storage or I recently thought I had a gas leak and shut the valves for a few minutes. When I turn the valves back on the frig. sometimes is hard starting the first time. If it won't start on gas I get the other gas fixtures going, hot water, stove top etc. to stabalize the gas in the lines and waite 10 minutes and my frig will start.
I also recently drove several hours in some heavy wind and rain and the frig would not light. I was nervous because we just stocked up on 3 wks of meat and were boon docking on Padre Island Tx.. I took the cover plate off the frig and lit the frig with a lighter. After heating up it must of dryed out the electic parts and then worked fine.
Duing this Padre Island issue I notice gas smells coming in the cabin of the trailer. From the top of the frig. It turns out that I had a 1 inch gap above the cabinent over the frig. and the ceiling. It was hard to detect with t he rounded ceiling. Being on the ocean the wind exagerated the problem. But in reality for the last 3 years half the fumes were going out the chimney and half into the trailer. I rolled up some fine bubble wrap and sealed the leak to the cabin.

2001 Safari 27 rear queen
awnings all around & 150w solar
Web Page: https://w9det.bizland.com
w9det is offline   Reply With Quote