RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Queen to Twins conversion

I'm considering some major renovations to our 2003 Safari 25' trailer, the first of which is changing out the rear queen bed for two twins. Can this be done? It seems that I've read somewhere that the body of the twin model is longer and wider? I've pulled out of the '03 service manual the CS and RS bed assemblies (part no.'s 956687 and 965686), just not sure how much they cost from the factory and if it may be less expensive to have a cabinet person make them locally. The other issue is the converter?/electrical panel would need to be relocated to one side or the other, as it currently sits dead center under the queen bed.

Why all the fuss of changing things around? Well, we've found that w/ two children (3 and 5) that both the sofa bed in the front and the fold-up foam 'futon' that I had made to fit underneath the couch are always out and it seems like the front of the trailer always resembles a large tangled nest of beds. I'm thinking that if I have the twins in the rear I can then remove the couch in the front and replace with a large queen sofa sleeper of some sort, which in turn requires the removal or modification of the corner credenza and re-working the fold-out table.

Has anyone else out there experienced any of the above? Suggestions, comments and technical info. greatly appreciated.
saahieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Another bed switch

No, I have not done what you have done, but something similar. I took out the two twin beds in my rear bedroom model 31' Excella, and installed a king size bed sideways. It took two big gorillas to get the king mattress in their but we did it. So your plan is just as bold but easier. What you can imagine you can do (to parapharse Henry J. Kaiser....).

Good luck with your project.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:45 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
A king bed is 2 twins, assuming the king in a 2003 Safari is the same as a regular bed in a house. The twins in our '71 safari are just a couple inches narrower than a queen - people were smaller back in the Dark Ages, you see...

So - you could probably put in 2 twins with a walkway in the middle (I confess I do not know the layout of your bedroom, so I am guessing the door opening is 'up the middle') or use 'trailer size' twins and gain a bit of space.

There are companies that make custom mattresses that would accommodate the curved corner required for putting the beds on either sides.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
If anyone with the twin bed configuration could post a couple of pictures of the rear quarters I'd appreciate it. In particular, I'm looking for the location of the 12v converter/electrical panel (RS? CS?). Thanks!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Potential Problem

Is the exterior trunk/storage of your trailer the space under your queen? If it enters from the center rear above the bumper you might lose exterior storage pulling this off.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
No, it has an access door on road side, so I'd still maintain storage under the rs twin, albeit a much smaller space. I would pick up some interior storage under the cs twin though.