Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Fantastic Fan

I called the dealer today to add the second FF to our 25B Safari. The dealer told me AS will not install the second FF now. The bathroom sewer pipe is to close to the fan and it will pull in sewer gas in. My dealer said AS just started this. Has any one elese heard this? The dealer said they could install it. I'm sure they will want an arm and a leg to do it.
mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Mopar,

Our '04 Safari 28W came with 2 fantastic fans, one in the living space area and one in the bedroom. They were both installed by the dealer. Not sure if A/S started not installing the 2nd vent afterward my build date. Our dealer made no mention of problems with the sewer vent. I'd make a rec for adding the 2nd fan though, it sure does a good job of airing out the A/S.

Abe
Old 10-30-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Airstream is changing to a non-reversable Fantastic fan on new build. According to my dealer, the change is to prevent blown fuses when folks reverse the fan with it still rotating (the tech actually blew a fuse this way while doing the walkthrough on my last trailer). A by-product of only blowing out would be to prevent sucking in sewer gasses. So long as it only blows out, it can not pull in sewer gas from the vent.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It is an RVIA code that the vent fans do not intake air when within a certain distance from the sewer vent pipe.

In most cases, the secondary fan would come close to the sewage vent pipe.

I would guess that to make life simple, they standardized on one FF compared to two different ones....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Sewer vent

I installed my Fantastic Vent in the front and for awhile thought it worked better pushing air out. On some days all my windows would be closed, but the rear vent was open. There was a good exchange of air, but on days when there wasn't a breeze or if the breeze was blowing the "wrong" direction I discovered the FV would pull in sewer gas through the rear ceiling vent. At first I thought there was a problem with the toilet, but the sewer vent stacks are about 15 inches away from the rear ceiling vent. I can see why AS isn't putting rear FVents in the rear, but at the same time the front one would have to be intake only to avoid the problem as I experienced it. AS should be educating their customers how to use the powered ceiling vents instead of trying to make them 'fool proof.'
Old 10-30-2003, 10:15 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Fantastic Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar7
The dealer told me AS will not install the second FF now. The bathroom sewer pipe is to close to the fan and it will pull in sewer gas in.
Interesting but there are some FF that only run in exhaust mode only. The two that I had the factory install at build time for my '01 Safari would only operate as exhaust fans, not intake.

I would think that even if you only had one fan in front and if its in exhaust mode sewer gas could also be pulled through the rear vent if it is open. Escentially Eric they still could add a second fan if you ordered the model that operates in exhaust mode only.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 05:55 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Re: Fantastic Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
Escentially Eric they still could add a second fan if you ordered the model that operates in exhaust mode only.

Jack
I totally agree. I did order the coach with the rear fantastic fan ($285 upgrade at the time of manufacture). It is exhaust only. The front one however, is also exhaust only. I recall some folks being upset that the rear units no longer were used as an intake if it was a factory install and the real reason from what I understand is that RVIA code does not allow coach builders to have fresh intakes within a certain distance of the vent pipes. Now the fronts usually are far enough away, but it looks like Airstream just standardized on this version.

Of course, if intake is important to someone, as an individual you can purchase the intake feature model and install it, or modify the factory installed model (as I believe fantastic fan builds them modular) to do both intake and exhaust.

To me the intake feature is of little consequence. The rain sensor and thermostat controls were the big ones for me!

Eric
Old 10-31-2003, 07:13 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Sounds like you need to appeal that decision, especially if your fans are exhaust only models. Having two fans is really a plus. Bottom line your dealer can add it on if the factory absolutely refuses.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:35 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I have read so many good comments about FFs that I stopped at Camping World to buy one. They only seem to fit 14 inch openings. Is that true? My front and back vents are 12 inch.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:46 AM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
It is true that the opening in the roof needs to be a 14 inch square.

Once you remove the existing vent it is real close. Minor trimming of the inner and outer sheets may be necessary for a good fit. That is required even on the newer units. I have done them on 2 different 70's vintage and they all (5) required some trimming to make them fit.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:08 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm not sure in my case it's worth appealing. I'm happy that they have both have thermostat and rain sensor. I was told by Airstream, that is all that is now availible. I got that info directly from the factory about 3-4 weeks ago I think it was Vicki I spoke with, but I am not sure on that part.....

I would think that the factory fan could be installed and then modified with internal parts. Fantasitc Fan has upgrade parts on their website, so I would assume if one were interested, it could be done fairly easily just not an option from the factory.

Anyone use the intake feature? I was under the impression that you used the windows as the inlet for air while the fan(s) drew the fresh (hopefully cooler air) in through the windows and out the top of the coach being that heat rises anyway...

Eric
Old 10-31-2003, 10:16 AM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Eric,

I use the intake feature a couple of ways.

One is to have both automatic (with rain sensor) fans open, but only one pulling air in. This way te excess heat is pushed out thru the open fan, but when we get the pop showers taht cmae up here in Florida the vnets clos right away. I have noticed that with the fan on out the air flow can cause it to be a bit delayed.

Another was last wekend when I replaced my Carb. I ran all 3 on in, with the windows closed and the dog house open. The blew all of the gas fumes out of the coach, and kep me cool while I was working on the top of the engine. Until you get your Motorhome this one would not be an issue.

For the most part we use the exaust side more. Having two is nice though (we have 3) as it allows you to run the fan(s) at the oppisite end of the unit on full blast and not hear them while you sit / sleep in a cool breeze.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:31 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting use. Thanks....I suppose that if it ever comes up for me, like I do with the car, will tinker away. I don't suppose they make Fantastic Fan "SS" models!

Eric
Old 10-31-2003, 01:15 PM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My most frequent use of one in and one out is when we leave the cats in the trailer at a restaurant or to visit some attraction. This keeps air circulating nicely without having any windows open with the attendant security risk. I also run the fans one in and one out when I overnight at a truck stop or rest area for the same reason.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 06:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Factory installed

Pahaska

I do the very same thing John, just depends on where I want to feel the breeze. If we're in the living area, we usually have that one on fresh air intake and, the rear FF set for out. Works wonders~
While traveling or not in use, I leave them in the manual mode.
BTW, these were installed last summer at the factory.
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote