Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

CIPA - Towing Mirrors

Need to know if the CIPA towing mirrors are any good? We have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71. I can buy them for $49.00 for the set is this a good price? I would like to have the power mirrors but $299.00 is a little much.
mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
They are fine

I have been using the CIPAs since 2000 and I have no complaints except that unmounting and remounting tends to move the mirrors a bit and it is hard to adjust the right-hand mirror when I am hooking up by myself.

I can see around my 2003 Classic just fine.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

CIPA Mirrors

I have the CIPA mirrors on on our 03 Siverado. They work great. Got them at Camping World for $19.95 each.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Thumbs up They're great!

You won't do better unless you go with the McKesh (or whatever the name is).

Easy on, easy off, cool lookin'.

-Don
Old 12-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
CIPA - Towing Mirrors

Greetings!

Quote:
Need to know if the CIPA towing mirrors are any good?
I used the CIPA mirrors with my '95 K1500 Chevrolet Z71 extended cab pickup and continued with them through the 1999 season with my '99 Suburban. After close to 20,000 miles of towing with them, I decided they just were not giving me a comprehensive enough rear view. I purchased a set of McKesh mirrors and would never go back to the CIPA. The McKesh mirrors are easy-on-easy-off; and hold their set so there is less nuisance adjustment when they are reinstalled - - in addition, you have the option of 3" convex mirrors attached to the bracket for each of the McKesh mirrors - - make maneuvering in heavy traffic far less taxing. When I had the three-piece front window guard installed on my Minuet, I knew there would be no going back to the CIPA as I lost the extra security of the rear view through the trailer when under way towing with the Suburban. You can learn more about the McKesh mirrors at:

McKesh RV Mirrors

The McKesh mirrors are about twice the cost of the CIPA mirrors, but the extra safety margin makes them worth far more (IMHO).

Replacement parts are also readily available as I needed new webbing and cushions for the 1978 McKesh mirrors that I use with my 1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible towcar. The replacement parts were also very reasonably priced direct from the manufacturer.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

McKesh mirrors

With the McKesh mirrors will the window still go up and down? Will they scratch the paint on the door?
mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:08 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Re: McKesh mirrors

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar7
With the McKesh mirrors will the window still go up and down? Will they scratch the paint on the door?
I had the McKesh mirrors and sold them on the internet. They didn't scratch the paint, but they were very hard on the rubber weatherstrip where it lays against the glass. Also, I had a lot of trouble with them binding against the window glass so that the electric window didn't want to go up and down well. The window tended to bind if fully lowered.

Frankly, I found that they were a lot more trouble than the additional scope of vision made worthwhile. A friend tried them for one trip and returned them to me with the same complaints.

I ended up using the convex mirror for a hitching mirror on my Scamp. When sold the Scamp, I forgot to remove it.

I'm perfectly happy with the CIPAs and most of our WBCCI unit use CIPAs.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-15-2003, 02:41 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I use Cipas on my 1997 Suburban. They work quite well.
I did put some self adhesive felt on the securing bar that touches the front of the stationary mirror housing. My mirrors are painted, and those bars would definitely leave scratches.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
CIPA - Towing Mirrors

Greetings Mopar7!

Quote:
In over four years and in excess of 20,000 miles of towing, I have had absolutely no problems with paint damage or deforming of the weatherstrips on my Suburban. I also have not experienced any problems with interference with the operation of the windows on either my Suburban or Cadillac. As a Free Wheeler, the extra range of vision offered by the McKesh mirrors is an invaluable asset.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Just got back from a cross-country roadtrip with CIPA mirrors on an '04 Tahoe. The thing is, mine were the CIPA "universal" style designed to clamp onto many different sizes and styles of mirrors, with no drilling or modification necessary. Roughly $50 for the pair, and comes in a fancy little tote bag and adaptive feet for different thickness mirrors.

In short, they were just awful. In the 0-10 degree weather in Montana this past week, I came out of the hotel in the morning to find the driver-side mirror cracked all the way across in two places (I presume due to the cold.) The passenger-side mirror had caked up with highway slush on the straps that hold it to the car mirror and was sagging down, ready to fall off. Both lost the little rubber foot designed to protect the car mirrors from being scratched.

I'll be sending these back, as they just aren't hearty enough for 65mph driving for several days in cold weather. I was hoping these would fit the bill, since I'm not sure what my permanent tow vehicle will be. But despite a good idea and great style, the tiny area of the mirrors and flaws in performance make these a product to steer clear of.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:46 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Clamp-ons

I went through the clamp-on phase between the McKesh phase and the CIPA slip-ons that are custom fit for the mirrors on most current pickups. The reason I tried clamp-ons was that I owned a Dakota at the time and there were no slip-on mirrors to fit. I don't think that any clamp-on mirror is worthwhile.

I tow a lot of miles, probably more than most folks. I find that I can see down the sides of my wide body quite well with the slip-on CIPAs. Once on, they stay put.

UWE, mine came with self-ahhesive felt for the clamp bars. After 5 years, the felt is starting to come apart. I have some black velcro and I may pad the bars with the fuzzy part.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

McKesh Mirrors

I also have the McKesh Mirrors and I think they are great in all respects except one. Occasionally at highway speed the Nylon Strap holding the mirror to the door, (drivers side only) developes a high pitched Hum that can be annoying. It doesn't happen all the time and I think its somehow not adjusted tight or flat enough, or it's a combination of that and wind. Has anyone else had this problem......... Al
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I started with strap-on mirrors like this... Cheap Mirrors

They are terrible - they vibrate, come loose, and the mirrored surface delaminates.

I then bought McKesh - they work fine. They do need to be adjusted properly to prevent contact with window glass. Far less vibration, and are well made.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:52 AM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
John,
good tip using the Velcro soft part.
Bredlo,
the Universal ones do this. I had a set literally fall off my Dodge in the CW parking lot. They will only work when backing up etc, not good for driving.
My current set, ( custom fit) although hard to adjust, works great on the Suburban. Very little flutter while driving 65mph. They go on and off in seconds.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

John,

Do you use the CIPA slide on's?

Thanks,
Old 12-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by George Jr.
John,

Do you use the CIPA slide on's?

Thanks,
Yes. I use the slide-ons that are specifically for the Silverado. They are rock solid. I tend to leave them on between trips if the trips aren't too far apart ... I miss them when they aren't there.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-17-2003, 06:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
look at these units, http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/TTTmirror.htm
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Dwight,

I didn't see any pricing or source, do you have any info?

Thanks,
Old 12-17-2003, 02:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
look at this site, they have prices and dealers listed. http://www.ttt-mirror.com/
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
what tow mirror will fit a 2001 Expedition?

I would like to get either the slip ons or the extendable ones but I don't see Expeditions listed. The ones for the Ford 150, will they fit?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote