Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Belly Pan Gaps?

Hi Guys,
I think I am using the right term for the Aluminum Panels under the Trailer. While looking around the other Day, I noticed some spaces in some of the Seams. It appeared like they just skipped some Rivets in places. I read some where that Spiders and other Critters like to get in and can cause some problems. How would you Guys handle this. Also, I have a 2" inch space between the bottom of the Bathroom Door and the Floor. Airstream says thats normal , after telling me the missing Trim above the Door was Normal, I pointed out it shows the piece on their Web site. Any opinions welcome......Thanks,

Al
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:28 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Belly Pan Gaps?

Quote:
Originally posted by ajjohnsons
Hi Guys,
Also, I have a 2" inch space between the bottom of the Bathroom Door and the Floor.
Al
Hi, Al!

There is usually a gap either at the bottom of bathroom doors to allow ventilation. Bathroom fans are much more efficient if they have an adequate inflow of fresh air to draw.

My trailer has pocket doors, but has the 2" gap at the ceiling; something a little different than I've seen before.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:42 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fix it

Being a fix-it-my-selfer, I would get out the drill, rivet gun, and some pop rivets and rivet what they forgot. Lot easier than dragging the trailer to the dealer. Pop rivets are fine since there is no problem of leakage such as there would be elsewhere on the trailer.

As to the bathroon door, I agree that the gap is for ventilation. There is otherwise no way to get heat or cool into the bathroom than to run the vent fan.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Belly Pan Gaps fix

I agree with the other posts. We have a 2001 Bambi and it came with some gaps in the belly. I drilled and put in several rivets to remedy the problem. Up at the front, where the gray plastic curves under and meets the aluminum was challenging. You could easily drill through the aluminum because it was rigid. the plastic moves up and down. I took a thin piece of flat metal and bent it and put it so it gripped the plastic while I drilled it. the rivet went in without holding the plastic once you get the hole drilled. Came out nice. I suspect that the factory just go lazy in finishing it because it took extra time and work to rivet these areas to where you and I would be satisfied.

Bob Caldwell
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:18 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you are still under warranty, and you are not doing much the first week of October, go to the Airstream Homecoming and get any of your issues addressed.

My '03 Bambi has something that sounds similar with the rivets on the bottom either missing or fell out (somehow). I have that on my list of issues to resolve and will be meeting some great folks while I'm down there.

While I'm at it, I am having them install a fantasitc fan, crankable stabilizer jacks in the front, main door screen guards and possible a electric tng jack.

The bathroom door on my '03 Bambi has about an inch or less gap from the bottom of the door to the floor.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:19 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Missing bathroom door piece

Forgot to add about the door piece. Our 2001 Bambi has the piece about the bathroom door. I have thought about taking it and making a small rectangular opening in it and covering it with a decortive grill. I think this would add some additional airflow without invading your privacy. I have about an inch of space at the bottom of the door. One thing I did was to build a 3 1/2 inch raised platform in the toilet area. We felt the toilet was to high and the our feet were in a uncomfortable postion. this seem more like the toilet at home now. I used the same oak and stain to match the original on the outside portion of the frame and covered the flat portion with the same wood flooring I used on the rest of the trailer floor. Most folks that have looked at the trailer since, think it came from the factory this way. I did leave about 3/4 on an inch space between the raised floor and the bathdoor to allow for airflow. I think when I get the grill above the door done that the ventilation will be just right.

Bob Caldwell
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the replies. I,ll definitely rivet the Gaps myself. As far as the bathroom door, it makes sense to me to have airflow, like you guys pointed out. I,m just thinkin about the flow in the other direction, I'm already on notice with the wife. Also IMO it just looks to big. The missing trim at the top, I would like to get the matching laminate from the factory,I'll install. If not, I just might try putting in a grill ,that sounds like a good suggestion. As far as going to the Factory, I can't wait to see it. I don't really want to go for service work though, I hope I'll never need it. Overall I'm very happy with my Airstream.
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote