Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tank level indicator panel

Hi gang,

Just back from a mini-vacation on the Sonoma Coast. The new six sleeper is working out great for the 4 of us.

One annoying issue is the intermittant readings from the tank level panel. The gray and fresh water indicator LEDs would sometimes not light up, or light up for an instant and go black. The black water tank indicator light also misbehaved a time or two. The battery indicator light always worked correctly. Only new variable during this trip is using a generator to refresh the batteries. Any ideas? I prefer to fix things myself, when feasible. (The dealer is about 150 miles away).

Thanks in advance.

Mike
mcostanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Tank Indicators

I find that I get flaky readings for the tanks after the trailer has been unused for a couple of weeks. After I tow it, the indicators settle down. I have been wondering whether it is condensation after sitting unused.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hi John,

It could be a moisture issue, come to think of it. There was a lot of rain over the past days and we brought a lot of it inside with the coats and damp shoes. Every morning the windows were covered in condensation. I'll check it out after things dry out here.

Regards,

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 05:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Mike,

I wouldn't depend on the indicator lights to be very accurate, especially when determining battery condition. The difference between a fully charged battery and a half charged battery is something like 0.5 volts. Batteries need to be checked with a hydrometer, or at least with a digital multimeter with the battery at rest.

None of my indicator lights are very accdurate. I just cleaned and completely drained both holding tanks and the lights show them between 1/3 and1/2 full.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:50 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Mine too are a bit flakey. Mine don't seem as bad as yours, but I flushed out the tanks pretty good (fill and dump, fill and dump) a few times. I get some flickers when the levels are between ranges, but I consider that normal since the sensor might be just barely touched.

My readouts however never go totally out if there measureable stuff in the tanks and the indicator lights were lit.

eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

guage adjustments

My 2001 Safari's tank guages worked the first time out and after the 3-4 outing were useless. They must get dirty and need readjustment. With all your tanks empty and trailer level. Take the panel off the wall. You might have to then take the circuit board off the panel and you will see the little switches. With a small screw driver adjust so the light just go out. Fixed!

2001 Safari 27 rear queen
awnings all around & 150w solar
Web Page: https://w9det.bizland.com
w9det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 09:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the tip. I will check that approach out since it is clear now that humidity is not a factor. We had a few days of sunshine in the past week and the panel is still not registering anything at all for any of the tanks.

Mike
Old 11-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
New Question - Physical Gray Tank Measurement

The potable tank is semi-clear plastic, and, with a few contortions, can be measured. The black tank may also be measured, no matter how unpleasant it is, via the toilet.

That leaves the gray water.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get an actual physical measurement of the liquid level in the tank (other than to wait until it backs up into the shower)?

I feel my indicator lights are measuring high, but I guess I should be happy that they are working at all.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I find that I get flaky readings for the tanks after the trailer has been unused for a couple of weeks. After I tow it, the indicators settle down. I have been wondering whether it is condensation after sitting unused.
We have a similar issue, not exactly the same but ... The water pump switch is working fine even though it's on the same panel as Levels. BUT the levels indicator switch is frozen, won't move, won't turn on. This is the original panel and we're on the road. It was fine yesterday, then today the switch for levels won't budge. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
KatFieler is offline   Reply With Quote