Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa , Ontario
2000 25' safari fresh water leak

I was filling my fresh water tank which normally fills until water comes shooting out the overflow. however this time, the water started flowing out from around the tank. I don't see any leaks inside the trailer. did the tank spring a leak? did I do something wrong filling it.

next question, if it is the tank, anyone have a pics of removing the FWT?

d.
dcsawLoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you might have filled it too fast with a hose with too much pressure. Or maybe it froze with a full tank. I would open one of the lower cabinet doors, where the filler hose is and see if this hose or maybe the vent hose has come loose or came off of the connection.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
x2 on what SUNRUS said, and also that water fill tube tends to crack due to age and can cause a leak.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Found pretty much the same thing on our Classic...when FW tank is full, constant drip until level falls below lower vent hose connection....hose leaking around the clamp.

I can see it but can't get to it without major interior tear down.
If the clamp had been a worm style instead of crimp I think I would be able to "git-r-done".....oh well SIL.

Now listen real hard and shut off when it starts to gargle, or wait till it spits and drain some out.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
This is probably a silly suggestion, but you didn't leave the drain petcock open a bit by any chance, did you? I usually leave mine open over winter and sometimes upon first filling in the spring remember to close it only because of the water draining out under the trailer ...
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa , Ontario
thanks

My airstream is stored about 45 minutes away, I hope to go have a look at it this weekend. I'll post what I find for others. hopefully as simple as a leaking vent. and not actually a cracked tank....
Old 07-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa , Ontario
Well I finally got around to taking dropping the tank. turns out a mouse had managed to chew away a 2" hole in the street side of the tank. fortunately it went to rest outside the tank and not inside the tank.

Getting the tank out was quite a challenge.

There are 3 lines running to the tank + the 2 drain lines/values that run to the bottom of the shroud.

The access hole from inside the camper is under the pantry closet which seemed daunting to remove. So I decided to tackle the problem from the bottom and at the same time make it a little easier to remove the tank in the future.

First, I cut the line from the pump to the bottom of the tank as far in as I could reach. (just above the floor of the trailer. Next I cut both the fill tube and vent tube about 3" above the floor. When I reinstall the tank, these 3 pipes will be attached to the tank before I raise it into the place and then join them to the piece that remained in the trailer.

Next, was the 2 drain lines that run through the shroud housing to the bottom of the shroud. There was no way to get down to the plastic fitting connecting the pex to the drain valve. I already had a hole cut in the bottom of the shroud (4" square) so I could repair the broken tank drain valve, I was able to get my hand inside the shroud and cut both plumbing line drain lines.

My plan to to reconnect these 2 lines is hard to explain, and a lot easier to show. short answer is I cut a large 3" hole in the bottom of the shroud and put a 4" f;at plate of plastic mounted to the bottom of the values. The plate will cover the hole allowing me to drop the tank again in the future without cutting any lines.

The tanks out now and I'm looking for someone to weld up a patch over the whole.