Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1975-1976 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
Looking to Purchase

Hello,

We are getting ready to purchase our first Airstream which will be a '76 Excella 500. I wanted to post pictures and get some feedback on the big things to look at. I understand floor rot, axles, and rear separation but I figured you guys may know a little more than me. It has a lot of original items (cabinets, twin beds, rear bath, couches) but are there any big ticket items to watch out for? There is a new fridge (3 way), new ac with heat strip, and a new 3 way water heater.

Here is the link.
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/rvs/4826713958.html

Once I figure out how to post pictures I will post them .

In looking for the link to post on here this airstream was posted.
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/rvs/4826713958.html

I appreciate any thoughts.

Zach
CordellCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Download the buyer's inspection checklist from the "portal" tab, and use it to go through the trailer. In addition to the things you already know to look for, look for popped/sheared rivets, dents in the shell (they don't just "pop" out), and kludgey P.O. repairs.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
wow.. that is REALLLLLLY vague CL post... be careful!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Now that I have a few more minutes to type...

It is encouraging that there are so many new major appliances, and also that it looks like the owner actually bought RV specific items (its always a bad sign when the the refrigerator has been replaced with a cheap AC only dorm fridge).

It is discouraging that the owner didn't try a little harder with the Craigslist ad. The fact that there are no pictures, and very little information always makes me suspicious that they are hiding something.

You mentioned that most of the interior is "original." This usually scares me as well, as the more original a 40 year old trailer is, the more work you have to do to fix it up. I could easily imagine that someone bought a field-find trailer, and got a good deal on it, got it home to discover that most of the major appliances are shot, took the initial steps to replace those items, and eventually reached the conclusion that this rig still requires a lot of work and money to make it viable, so they are now just trying to cut their losses.

So just manage your expectations--this rig is likely to have frame and floor rot common to 70's vintage trailers, and will likely still require thousands of dollars and months/years of work to get it up to snuff. It is always dangerous to drive several hours to look at a trailer, because you can easily convince yourslef that the things you find are "easy fixes," and you end up hauling home much more of a project than you originally set out looking for.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
A rig in really good shape for 6500 bucks probably wouldn't stay on the list for 23 days, even in Buffalo in the middle of winter. It may be worth your while to find somebody local to the area and have them look at it just to have another set of eyes give it a once over. No pix, be suspicious.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote