Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

1976 31' Excella 500
Estas Park , Colorado
76 Excella 500 full rear bedroom model

Hello fellow Airstreamers, this is rather a long thread so if you like the first paragraph is my Airstream story and the second is my actual questions if you would like to skip. I had purchased my airstream about three years ago now and after repair/replace of several items I have several questions. I've read bunches of your post (their very helpful). As to the history of the it. I am the third owner. When I bought it it was inoperable condition. The floors were rotted out in the corners due to holes that were cut in the bottom (not sure why) and the seal around the lower teen was nonexistent so water would sep in of there as well. The kitchen and living room had plywood, cement board and then thick ceramic tile all was which was mostly cracked and added ALOT of weight. After tearing l of the rotten wood and replaced with new plywoods I put vinal plank flooring in the bathroom, kitchen, and livingroom (much lighter and looks great now. I also carpeted the hallway and back bedroom and stoage areas with square carpet tiles (this also worked great, rather than trying to get roll carpet cut around all the edges). Next was the water, all the pipes had frozen and were busted and frankly none of it was good since it was a combinations of copper, PVC and gray pipe. So tore all of that out and replaced with PEX (another great replacment piece) thankfully no water leaks, however I do have a water leak in what I beleve is the valve of the black holding tank. Thankfully (I'm thankful for many things in my airstream) the holding tanks haven't been used in years and the smell is minimal. So need to track one of those down now and take off the belly pan. A few more things that are needing replaced but not ness art for living at the moment is the brake system, everything thing was taken out and the lines snipped at the calipers (again not sure why). The furnace does not work but already looking into parts to rebuild it and polishing after a couple more dent repairs. the Airstream was bought new and remained withr the first owner for most of its life where it traveled from Colorado to Florida and a regular basies. It was then sold to an RV park and was used as a rental for about 5 years and then sold to one of the tenets who had it for about a year and then I bought it. Best part was I bought her for $1000 bucks!

So, as for the questions. What can someone tell me about this model. I've looked high and low for information and I have found some along with limited photos. I'm wanting to live in it full times since I attended college during the winter and workamp in the summer at a rv park in Wisconsin. I will be towing her with a 72 Chevy K10 pickup truck. So I'm trying now to figure out what goes to what. There are several switches that I ha e no idea where they go. Also how and where the furnace connected to the differ areas. Basement and such, I ha e a general idea but some is questionable. Also in the bathroom there is a small 3 in silver vent to the right of the toilet, what does this do? Is it the vent for the bathroom? Part of the hose looked like it ran to the kitchen to a pump/fan at blows into the basement, not sure why. There is also a round vent on the front bottom of the shower, heat I assume? There are bunches of wires I don't know where they go and no idea where the furnace wiring is since most of the wiring underneath is cut/spliced/gone. So I'm trying to find a way to heat it so that it keeps the tanks warm. Right now I just have a space heater which keeps it warm even in the teens. So yeah, I just want to know everything and anything that you may know. Thank you for reading my post, more of a story but it's been a great one.
po3_103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

1976 31' Excella 500
Estas Park , Colorado
Photo

Cant add photos??? Added the attachments but nothing is showing up?
po3_103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You have to use the right attachment method for the way you're trying to attach a photo.

If you want to share a photo from your own photo sharing account (photobucket, flickr, Google+ Photos, iCloud, etc.) you first get a copy of the photo-sharing link then use the button that looks like a square with a yellow field, two triangles in the bottom and a little darker square in the upper-right (supposed to represent a landscape) and paste the URL into the window that comes up.

If you want to attach a photo directly to your post, you need to be using the Advanced editor when you type the post (rather than the Quick Reply editor that's at the bottom of the thread. You'll see a "Go Advanced" button at the bottom.) In the Advanced editor there's a paperclip button for attaching photos.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote