Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Where to go Labor Day in SE

Where is everyone going over the Labor Day week end in the SE? We live in the Metro Atlanta area and have boys ages 6 & 9, need activities for them, needs to be dog friendly, and don't want to go too far. Any suggestions?
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
What is to far?

Depends on what to far is and how much of the activity you are willing to provide...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Harrison Bay State Park in Chattanooga is a great campground for kids. So is Fall Creek Falls State Park. Another one is Red Top Mtn.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We were planning on trying Falls Creek State Park when we go back to Cookville to have additional awnings installed in a few weeks. I have been to Red Top Mountain (by car) once before and not sure if I can navigate the entrance road with the AS in tow.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #5

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I've pulled my 31 footer into Red Top. They have some nice pull through sites. But the sites on the water tend to be smaller in size. Good hiking trails and I have always seen lots of deer here.

You will like Fall Creek Falls. There's lots for the kids to do including paddle boats and fishing on the lake. Two more good places are Cloudland Canyon State Park on Lookout Mtn. or DeSoto Falls State Park in Mentone, AL.

I wanna go camping noooowwwww!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
where to go Labor day in SE

If you are a WBCCI member, have you tried Top of Georgia, in Helen? No reservations needed, full hookups, $7/night, only about 2 hours from Atlanta. Kids would love tubing down the "Hooch". Great fun. Other sights to see and do too.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi,
If you don`t like the Top of GA or Falls Creek Falls you could try GA Vetrans State Park in Cordele,GA or FDR state park near pine mountain.You will need to make reservations soon though. Also I have heard Topsail Hill statepark in the Destin area is very nice and we are going there in a few weeks for vacation. Topsail also has full hookups so I will find out soon if I like it.If you like the mountains and have not been to the Top of GA that would be a good place to go as some one has already mentioned there is tubing on the Hooch and hiking trails in various places and Brasstown Bald Mountain just above the TOG park. Good Luck Davis
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If you haven't been to FDR its terrific! We just were there about two weeks ago. The pool across the road is beautiful, and you can drive over to the wild animal safari park nearby for the boys. My 13 year old loved it.
We'd meet ya there but just sold our Airstream and now looking for another. So not sure what I will be campin' in.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Crusier Overlander
douglasville , Georgia
we'll be at Lake Wedowee in Al. that wekend...lots of boating,
lake and pool swimming, fishing, ect. Not sure, but there mightbe an extra site or 2 if anyone else wants to go.
Steve
ga501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
I've pulled my 31 footer into Red Top. They have some nice pull through sites. But the sites on the water tend to be smaller in size. Good hiking trails and I have always seen lots of deer here.
Don't mention deer to me!!!!!!!!!
We went to FDR State Park last week end for our second camping trip in our brand new '06 Safari (haven't even mailed the first payment yet) and about a mile before the turn off of Hwy. 85 just south of Warm Springs, GA two deer were beside the road. I blew the horn and crossed the yellow line and just as I passed, one of them charged across the road right into the curb side corner of my, did I say, brand new Airstream!!!!!!!!!! Crushed the stone guard and the lower quarter panel behind it. It made me sick. Killed the deer and the rest of the week end. So I think I may pass on Red Top Mountain for that reason alone. In mid-July I now have an un-planned trip to Jackson Center for repairs.

Alan, I can't believe you sold your beautiful motorhome. You put so much hard work into it. Why?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Well sorry to hear about the deer! And the Trailer! Maybe a park on Hartwell would be better, we did not see any deer there. Went to both the SC and GA parks there, both were nice. The fishing at the GA park was better for the kids.
As for the motorhome, its just time for me to move on. Enjoyed the heck out of it for 5 years though.
Looking for a trailer now, if you know of one prefer a 27-32 footer.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Don't mention deer to me!!!!!!!!!
............two deer were beside the road. I blew the horn and crossed the yellow line and just as I passed, one of them charged across the road right into the curb side corner of my, did I say, brand new Airstream!!!!!!!!!! Crushed the stone guard and the lower quarter panel behind it.........
Sounds like you racked up some damage from that

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Sounds like you racked up some damage from that
Actually, I could tell in the dim light of the twillight and my headlights that it was a doe or a young buck with just points. However, when we were traveling home on Sunday, we saw the deer laying in the ditch and someone had removed the head, so it could have been the second deer that wasn't moving as we approached that I had less of a view of. Either way, I was not "a happy camper!"
Old 06-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
See the photo below to see what a running deer can do to an Airstream at approximately 50 mph at dusk. The damage goes all the way through the stone guard and into the quarter panel. Jackson Center here we come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer01A.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	22652  
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Old 06-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Holy S**t

wheewww.. that is dent! Most important the family is safe But wow that poor deer.... What if you were towing an SOB... That deer would have been sleeping in your bed! You don't want to have to clean deer poop from the sheets………. I love the "Changes in Latitude" name but somehow. FRANK THE TANK is starting to fit...

AZstreamin
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #16
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Susan picked up Tourist guide/pamphlet over the weekend that has ideas for RV camping in Georgia (Ironically at the Welcome Center in Warm Springs, we were just up the road form y'all). In this pamphlet there is a mention of Georgia Power camp grounds all over the state. I didn't know they operated camp grounds, but is says that "most have full hook-ups". I'll see if can find something on the web site.

Yep, check this link off the Southern Company web page: http://www.southernco.com/gapower/la...sub&mnuItem=oc

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Susan picked up Tourist guide/pamphlet over the weekend that has ideas for RV camping in Georgia (Ironically at the Welcome Center in Warm Springs, we were just up the road form y'all). In this pamphlet there is a mention of Georgia Power camp grounds all over the state. I didn't know they operated camp grounds, but is says that "most have full hook-ups". I'll see if can find something on the web site.

Yep, check this link off the Southern Company web page: http://www.southernco.com/gapower/la...sub&mnuItem=oc

Jim
Kewl! I'll have to check some of them out. I didn't think about them. I knew about the one on Lake Sinclair since my parents used to have a lake house on Sinclair.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
wheewww.. that is dent! Most important the family is safe But wow that poor deer.... What if you were towing an SOB... That deer would have been sleeping in your bed! You don't want to have to clean deer poop from the sheets………. I love the "Changes in Latitude" name but somehow. FRANK THE TANK is starting to fit...

AZstreamin
So far the damage has come from the trip home from the dealer and from a camping trip just 68 miles from home. Over the 4th we are going to Disney World to check out Ft. Wilderness and that is 400 miles away! I told my insurance agent I may be calling him again on July 5th! With the damage on two such mundane trips, I can only image what lies ahead on an 800 mile round trip.

I must keep a good humor about all of this because if "{I} couldn't laugh, {I}would ... go insane".
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #19

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
See the photo below to see what a running deer can do to an Airstream at approximately 50 mph at dusk. The damage goes all the way through the stone guard and into the quarter panel. Jackson Center here we come.
Bless your hearts! I just got back from vacation and saw this. All trips can't go like this one! Hang in there!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey
Bless your hearts! I just got back from vacation and saw this. All trips can't go like this one! Hang in there!
Well, the week end before the 4th my wife was working in the trailer getting ready for the upcoming trip to FL and had the awning out. On Sunday we got 3" of rain in about an hour and the rain collected on the awning faster than it could run off the lower end and the rear awning pole bent to a 90 degree angle. I ordered a new one on that Monday from Zip-Dee with two day delivery and it arrived on Friday. I replaced it in about 10 minutes. If it hadn't come in I don't know what we would have done because we wouldn't have been able to secure the awning for transit.

So we went to Ft. Wilderness and towed a total of more than 900 miles round trip plus about 95 miles without the "Changes" behind us. I am really getting the hang of towing. In fact, Kathy and Brent you know how tight it is getting into the camp sites at FW, we got home at 11:00 Tuesday night and I backed into our drive way and got the trailer within 6" of where we normally park it...in the dark! We had a marvelous time and are looking forward to our next trip to Ft. Wilderness in October.

My wife, along with Brent's, said that things come in threes, so hopefully we are done with troubles with camping. This week end we make the, hopefully only, eleven hour trip to Jackson Center for repairs to the side and corner. Wish us luck, again!
WBCCI# 4821