Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What do you think of a Cyber Unit?
Giraffes are very tall, even at birth. 5 7.69%
George Patton was right. 7 10.77%
I like the idea of a cyber-unit 47 72.31%
Fire trucks are Red. Russians are Red. Fire trucks are always rushin’, so all Fire Trucks are Reds. Therefore, all Fire Trucks are Commies. 3 4.62%
What did he say? 3 4.62%
A Cyber Unit is stooooped idea, so stick with the program, Knuckle Head. 4 6.15%
Axels are the work of the devil. And so are tow vehicles. 4 6.15%
Cyber-unit, what’s that? 5 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Non-Tradional WBCCI Unit Poll

Several threads here on the forum are dedicated to the formulation of a different type of WBCCI unit. The shape and character of these units are usually described (generically) as a “Cyber unit”. Put a different way, a place where non-traditional WBCCI members would feel at home. A unit that doesn’t conform to the normal statewide or citywide, geographically bound group. Simply put, is there a place that members of this forum, at-large M.A.L. members and others (undefined for now) could feel at home without all of the pomp and circumstance of a more traditional unit. I’ll leave the definition of such a group open for debate for the time being and simply take a non-scientific, straw poll.

Let’s see how it goes. Remember, this is only a test. So don’t shoot the messenger.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I take the position that pretty much anything goes if it serves the membership. I support a "cyber unit" for that reason. I just hate that everyone, every where can't be a member of a unit such as the Texas Highland Lakes Unit. We have NO pomp and circumstance. One NEVER sees a beret or formality at our rallies and everyone, no matter their age, seems agreeable to try most anything to attract and retain a fun loving membership. Our unit is the only unit in Texas and Oklahoma to steadily grow each and every year over the past 10 year period. In fact we share with one other unit the highest growth rate over that period of all units in the WBCCI. We attract new membership, but more importantly, we retain a high percentage of our new members, unlike so many others accross the WBCCI. There must be a reason for that growth.

I look forward to each rally to again see my Airstream friends many of which are now my closest friends. My best friends are in the Texas Highland Lakes group, not in my hometown of 60 years nor my church of 43 years. While I think it very odd that it is that way, I thank my maker every day that I've found that level of friendship somewhere.

Being even more cyber friendly is a goal that I am confident our unit will embrace to s greater extent very soon. We already conduct a lot of our business over the internet through emails back and forth. We send out our monthly newsletter almost totally through the internet. We sign up for our rallies over the internet. We allow members to vote on WBCCI issues over the internet. We maintain a website, though we could probably do better in that regard. About the only thing we haven't fully integrated is the awareness to the general public, MALs and members of other units wanting to become a member of our unit that we have the ability for them to become a member over the internet. We don't yet accept payment for membership over the internet. You have to contact our Unit Membership Chairman or Unit Treasurer to pay your dues, but we've had a number of new members join that way.

Hopefully, the entire WBCCI will move in that direction. If they don't many will perish in my estimation.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

Yes by all means...

Now don't get me rong, I'm old enough to join a "local", (65+) but too young to fit in.

Could we use pretty Airstream Blue numbers??
Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Robert Cross
We have one member who put his WBCCI numbers on his trailer in blue. I don't know it if anyone in our unit ever thought it to be a problem. Some day, somewhere I'm fairly certain someone will likely say something to him if he continues to travel throughout the land as he is doing attending other unit's rallies and International rallies, but that is the risk he takes. If you want blue numbers, have them made and put them on.
GStephens
Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
I voted in favor of a unit, but, just for the record, (and you could not vote for both) I think Giraffes are very tall as well...

Kind Regards

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I won't vote in this one because I still think you're pretty much dreaming. I think there is demand for new units, but the rules that govern the WBCCI have to be taken into consideration as well. And one of those rules is geographic location. "Cyber unit" just won't fy, I'm afraid.

So, then, if you are serious about starting a new unit, then stop dreaming and look into what it takes to start one. You have a great resource here on the forums with the FCU people, who went through the process and can provide you with lots of info on it.

Lynn
Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
I take the position that pretty much anything goes if it serves the membership
People gather together in formal organization for a common reason. It is contradictory to have a common reason be an individual preference or need.

This question suffers in that the meaning of "cyber unit" is not defined. That has implications for any validity of the poll and also bypasses the entire problem of the dissonance between the purposes for which folks buy an Airstream and the 'cyber' experience.

The question about the nature of the group experience is an important one and has many facets. It is too bad that these facets cannot be discussed in cyberspace without the kind of name calling and hate talk so often seen. One only has to look at the options in this poll to see the hate - somewhat disguised as humor but that humor is but a thin veil over the contempt and hubris that is there. A respect for others and their differences of opinion is always a good start before trying to unite for common cause.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ok, I seem to have stopped this thread with my outrageous comment, so let me get started on some brass tacks. If you are serious about this, then it is vital to assess just how many new units are needed and where they are to be located. I would suggest some informal discussion in this thread followed by use of the poll function in some way to do the assessment.

I'll include below a couple of selections from the WBCCI By-Laws pertaining to new units. (I use the copy of the Blue Book available from the DenCo site, BLUE BOOK.)

Quote:
New Units Members wishing to organize a new Unit should request assistance from the Region President or from Headquarters. Such request received at Headquarters will be referred to the Region President who shall, upon determining there is a need for a new Unit within the Region, notify Headquarters and Headquarters shall forward the necessary instructions and materials to the members wishing to form the new Unit. Upon receipt of a Provisional Charter from the President of the Region, the Provisional Unit may collect Unit and International dues in the same manner as chartered Units pending the issuance of a Unit Charter by the International Board of Trustees. (1/19/96)
Quote:
Names of Units All names will be geographical in nature and will represent a geographical area other than a state. The official name of the Unit must also include the name of the State in which most of its members retain residence, but no Unit shall be assigned any exclusive territory. (6/20/77)
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Delmarva

Del-Mar-Va is a name I heard a lot when I first moved to Virginia 36 years ago. It took a while before I connected the dots and realized that it referred to the eastern shore which is divided into Deleware, Maryland and Virginia. I suppose that could be "geographical"... or of course we could add to that for DC, Pennsylvania, North Carolina...?

Mid-Atlantic MAL-FORUM unit?

Paula
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
can i join the Earth Unit? :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Im no authority, but I believe the name of any new unit now has to include the name of a state as in Eubanks second quote above. Units previously chartered over the years with names such as Del-Mar-Va were grandfathered. Proposed units with names such as Mid-Atlantic would not be approved. I think the so called Four Corners Unit is not really named the Four Corners Unit, but rather the Arizona Four Corners Unit or something like that. I think I remember this issue came up when they were trying to obtain their charter. Its not an insurmountable goal at all, it just needs to be taken into account under the current rules for admission if I am correct.

GStephens
Old 08-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Great minds think alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Del-Mar-Va is a name I heard a lot when I first moved to Virginia 36 years ago. It took a while before I connected the dots and realized that it referred to the eastern shore which is divided into Deleware, Maryland and Virginia. I suppose that could be "geographical"... or of course we could add to that for DC, Pennsylvania, North Carolina...?

Mid-Atlantic MAL-FORUM unit?

Paula
There is already a Delmarva unit in the club.It is unit #26.There also already exists a Mid-atlantic unit which is Unit#54.
Wouldn't the formation of a MAL unit in essence eliminate the MAL designation for those that joined because they would no longer be 'members at large' having joined a unit?
I don't believe there should be a surcharge to be a MAL.If anything it should be cheaper than belonging to a unit.Afterall,you don't get to vote...yet.
It only makes sense that if you pay your dues you should get a vote,PERIOD.
The unwillingness of the hierarchy to implement the changes needed to move the club forward is costing us members and potential members everyday.
I will also refrain comment on the Bob Thompson situation until more facts are revealed.Seeing that he is/was the Region 1 President and I will be dropping by the R1 Rally in PEI this week more facts may come to light.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Let me move this forward just a bit more: Please look at the region map below. If you are interesting in starting a new unit, please respond by indicating your region and your willingness. (Don't worry for the moment about existing units; just indicate region and willingness.)

Lynn
Old 08-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
Im no authority, but I believe the name of any new unit now has to include the name of a state as in Eubanks second quote above. Units previously chartered over the years with names such as Del-Mar-Va were grandfathered. Proposed units with names such as Mid-Atlantic would not be approved. I think the so called Four Corners Unit is not really named the Four Corners Unit, but rather the Arizona Four Corners Unit or something like that. I think I remember this issue came up when they were trying to obtain their charter. Its not an insurmountable goal at all, it just needs to be taken into account under the current rules for admission if I am correct.

GStephens
Our name is FOUR CORNERS UNIT OF NEW MEXICO.and that is in the U.S.A
I feel that this unit is a cyber space unit and any WBCCI member is wecome to join our unit.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Hi Lynn,

I think the answer to your question is “yes, and”.

Your point is well taken, its understood the current documents state a unit must be tied to a geographical area – but, as Condoleezza Rice said recently “its not 1968 anymore!”.

I think the running dialog is rotating (in part) around how to bring the current organization into the present century. Not everyone will appreciate/understand/support a “Cyber-unit” that’s OK. They would not have to join.

I wonder if it is possible to amend the current bylaws (given leadership) to allow such a unit to exist. Honestly, from what I have read and heard – its looks doubtful.

One alternate suggestion – probably covered in the past – is why not simply set up a new intra-club? The net (Cyber) intra-club. It would accomplish most of the social, organizational, meeting needs folks here are talking about. Voting could be covered by joining one of the more progressive and less expensive units. From what I have read in the WBCCI Charter it is entirely possible.

Just a thought -- I could be wrong…

Old 08-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
Hi Lynn,
I think the answer to your question is “yes, and”.

Your point is well taken, its understood the current documents state a unit must be tied to a geographical area – but, as Condoleezza Rice said recently “its not 1968 anymore!”.
It's true that it's not 1968, but it's also true that the WBCCI presumes to be a camping club, which, of its very nature, assumes a certain geographic element. That view, in turn, assumes that folks want (to form) a unit rather than an intra-club.

Quote:
I think the running dialog is rotating (in part) around how to bring the current organization into the present century. Not everyone will appreciate/understand/support a “Cyber-unit” that’s OK. They would not have to join.

I wonder if it is possible to amend the current bylaws (given leadership) to allow such a unit to exist. Honestly, from what I have read and heard – its looks doubtful.
I agree! It's very doubtful that we'd be able to achieve such a change (at least in my lifetime).

Quote:
One alternate suggestion – probably covered in the past – is why not simply set up a new intra-club? The net (Cyber) intra-club. It would accomplish most of the social, organizational, meeting needs folks here are talking about. Voting could be covered by joining one of the more progressive and less expensive units. From what I have read in the WBCCI Charter it is entirely possible.
Again, I agree! If folks really just need a WBCCI-sponsored outlet for their non-camping interests -- they'd join some existing unit for purposes of camping or caravanning or whatever (including voting) -- then going for a new intra-unit might be the way to go.

As stated elsewhere, though, the MAL status should stay intact, for there are folks out there who do not want any other affiliation, unit or intra-unit. And that's ok, too, IMHO.

Lynn
Old 08-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Hi Lynn,

I just ran inside to let my cyclo cool down for a few minutes so Ill try to respond to you quickly. Im polishing my rig (again) this weekend.

Now THAT’S a fools errand…

;-)

First I want to be sure you know I was saying I felt the club was out of touch with the times. I wasn’t inferring anything about you! We have never met and this is simply a discussion between strangers.

Besides, I am now qualifying for senior discounts at an alarming rate…

Here’s the deal – if I wanted to join a camping club, I might have.
The fact is, I probably would not have.
I don’t see an advantage to a camping club – I have enough family/friends to run around with to make my own ad hoc group. I am a member of WBCCI and passionately in love with my Safari.

I would suggest a couple of things: first is WBCCI was never simply a camping club. Wally saw first a marketing tool that promoted a lifestyle. This is important. Not a group of folks who hung around outdoors and drank beer on the weekends but an organization dedicated to a way of thinking and travel.

A lifestyle.

It resonates in his writings and club events/caravans/rallies.

Even if it only began as simply a camping club – that’s history and, while worth noting, is not really relevant to the discussion - times have changed and people needs have moved as well.

When I said its not 1968 – I was not referring to technology and the web. Peoples needs have changed. They are looking for a lifestyle and a community that is less geographically based. I have met some great people through this group. None are from my region. I want to go to events they are going to, not ones locally. I want to interact with people who have similar interests. None of those people are in my local unit.

Look at the huge list of forum categories in Airforums. Few forums are dedicated to actual camping. We talk about maintenance, preservation, cooking, flamingos and modern Zen philosophy under an aluminum roof among others. Lifestyles in this century. This the hole that has yet to be filled by any group. It is also the hole that WBCCI is falling through.

While an intra-club is not a final solution – institution of one might point to a club/unit that will see itself into modern times. The advantage of an intra club is: it does not presume geographic boundaries. That is one of the core principles of a “cyber intra-club”. No borders. If one prefers traditional limits, they simply don’t have to join. Sounds non threatening to me!

Again – just a thought. In any event, I think my cyclo is cooled off enough now to make my next f7 run…

Old 08-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
WBCCI Byloaws, etc.. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post

<SNIPPY>

I'll include below a couple of selections from the WBCCI By-Laws pertaining to new units. (I use the copy of the Blue Book available from the DenCo site, BLUE BOOK.)
Lynn,

Thanks for posting the location of the WBCCI Bylaws.

As I have stated in posts in other threads:

• I am NOT a member of the WBCCI.
  • I have done lots of research on the WBCCI
Your posting of a location for the WBCCI Bylaws helps me continue my ongoing education about the organization. Thanks commin' at ya.

Having just downloaded a copy and given them my first brief perusal I have a one word response:

INCREDIBLE

I have had a fair amount of involvement with mutual benefit domestic non profit corporations over the years. I have dealt with lots of bylaws and state tax boards in relation to these groups and the legal requirements for establishing such an organization.

I have NEVER seen bylaws for them run more than 15 pages. Traditionally there is usually one more document filed at the time of the group being established - Articles of Incorporation. These two documents become the basis for the operation of the organization.

The WBCCI Bylaws are 74 pages.

And, there is an additional constitution; I wonder if this is Ohio's version of Articles of Incorporation.

In other posts in other threads I have steadfastly maintained that the WBCCI is doomed because of its STRUCTURE.

Now that I have started to examine the WBCCI Bylaws I am even more convinced that the structure of the WBCCI is the largest problem the organization faces.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Cyber unit

Nice to see that 81.08% of the voters liked the idea and not one vote for a cyber unit is a stooped idea.
Guess no one from WBCCI IBT voted.Or maybe they voted for FIRE TRUCKS.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is a kind of convoluted logic in this. Everyone that isn't a member of a unit gets put in the MAL unit. As members of a unit, they would then have a vote. So, who wants to be the head MAL?