Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I just returned home this afternoon from the PA Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA. Airstream's only dealer in the state of PA had a couple Base Camps on display, plus some literature on a couple other Airstream models.

Although I didn't get the name of the fellow from the dealerhip who was at the show, he told me that his dealership ordinarily only provided service on the Airstream models sold by the dealership. I was disappointd to hear that because the dealership that I bought my Airstream from in PA is no longer in business, but their service wasn't anything to write home about either.

So much has been said about the company's need to improve their quality. Airstream needs to improve the quality of their dealerships, including their service capabilities as well.

John
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
How about prewire for a TV in the bedroom in a place where you could actually use it.. In my 2007 25' Classic the cable hook up and outlet is behind the table between the twin beds. Now common sense would tell you if I put a TV on the table between the two beds how would we watch it? I plan to mount a small flat screen to the hanging wardrobe but will have to route the wires all the way around one of the beds. I don't wish to be insulting but it just seems so stupid as to defy belief.If you stand in the bedroom doorway and look at the connections against the back wall behind the curtains and table ,didn't anyone think " now how is this suppose to work??
Well, the cable hookup on our 2004 30' Classic (with the twin bed option) is in the back of the overhead closet at the foot of one of the beds. I suppose we could keep a TV inside the closet, open the door and stick our head in whenever we wanted to see it - assuming we didn't use the closet for storing clothes.

I guess Airstream made a product improvement in 2007 over the 2004 models.

John
Old 02-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I agree that the old Airstreams and Argosys may be one of the best advertisements the company can get, and it's free. Certainly not free for those of us trying to maintain these classics, but free for Airstream. I just went to pick up my 1978 Argosy from a small RV repair shop. The owner said he had 6 offers on it while it was sitting there. I am lucky to have found this guy in Stillwater, Oklahoma, since there is no dealer in this state and Camping World refuses to work on Airstreams. But small as his business is, he still had peple stopping in to see "The Twink" and marvel at how well it's held up for all these years. There is a lot of quality in these old trailers and it hurts to hear the new buyers write about the poor quality they are finding. It deminishes us all.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Automated (electric) main awnings.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Thumbs up Great concept, Gene!

Gene-

Let me add my congratulations and appreciation that you'd take this on. It is probably going to correlate with better business for the dealership, or at least we hope so...

I'd echo Shari and other comments about Vintage and even "Pre-Owned" Airstreams, and encourage dealerships to have at least one Vintage Advocate on staff, and identified. I believe that internet and other changes in buying behaviors, including better sharing of information, will make it progressively more difficult for dealerships to make real attractive profits just by selling new Airstream units from inventory... Taking pre-owned's in trade and selling used can be more profitable than selling new..

In addition, an Airstream dealership should be an annuity in profitable service business, especially for those that do sheet metal repair and rebuilds. DON'T make the mistake of car and motorcycle dealerships (upon advice of Counsel..) and shut service doors to older models. Embrace them, get good at replacing water heaters and plumbing and tanks, and build a small database of supppliers, from manuals and vintage parts to upholstery to flooring and carpet.. Many folks here and more that remain silent would like to pay someone knowledgable and competent to do expensive refurbs on older Airstreams, and it could be good profitable and educational business for Airstream shop service techs, especially when work is a little slow. If necessary, create separate cost center and different overhead rates for shop to work with Vintage units, since you won't have the same warranty billing and parts inventory obligations for those efforts.

Finally, even confirmed "used" buyers are good reference customers, passionate about Airstreams and likey to encourage friends to get one and join the fun. They WILL recommend or bash a dealership, and I'd believe you're better off getting positive buzz from the folks in the area.. Even those of us who don't plan to buy a new Airstream in near future will keep shop going with bearing/brake services, appliance checkups and repairs, and gas/plumbing/tank servicing...

If a dealer's economics require them to pay the bills and cater to SOB brands, Toy Haulers and Motorhomes, that is OK, but keep a few people in Airstream shirts and focused on the brand, whether new or used. The word will spread quickly, and profits will result...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #26
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I think John McG is correct in his assumptions. Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford has been quite attentive to my needs as an owner of an older Airstream willing and are able to professionally tackle most any problem given them from panel replacement to finding sources for hard to find or non existant parts. As a result, I've sent them at least four customers with new trailers to have disc brakes installed, custom made stainless doors and vent covers installed and interiors reconfigured. Perfectionistic accomplishment and a willingness to explore new avenues to effect a customer's needs results in people willing to drive great distances to a dealership. In the case of this dealership, the four I sent there drove over 200 miles. The last time I was there, Rich Lhur of Airstream Life had just left and there was a trailer there which had been brought in from Virginia for repairs. Developing new vendors and going the extra mile gets results. People are willing to pay for quality.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would say the QC issues by far are the most pressing IMHO. Showers for at least 3 model years that have the same tell tale leaks due to a lack of caulk. Trim pieces not installed correctly, leaks, etc.

Adding options like CCD/Classic windows

Having a longer warranty...3 years minimum. IMHO, a premium brand should stand head and shoulders above and in the warranty dept too.

Getting a more consistant dealer exp. Currently there is a wide difference among the dealers. There should be more McDonald's type feels than less, meaning a Big Mac in CA is the same as Big Mac in NYC and all points in between.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I just returned home this afternoon from the PA Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA. Airstream's only dealer in the state of PA had a couple Base Camps on display, plus some literature on a couple other Airstream models.

Although I didn't get the name of the fellow from the dealerhip who was at the show, he told me that his dealership ordinarily only provided service on the Airstream models sold by the dealership. I was disappointd to hear that because the dealership that I bought my Airstream from in PA is no longer in business, but their service wasn't anything to write home about either.

So much has been said about the company's need to improve their quality. Airstream needs to improve the quality of their dealerships, including their service capabilities as well.

John

John,

Thanks for the input...I know besides us, several other dealers that will service anyone's unit...however, there are some out there that will not do service work on another dealers unit which I think is absurd...I do know however, that the dealer in PA has serviced 2 30 Land Yacht's that I sold to a company in PA without any problem...the differnce may be that I have worked with that dealership before on other things such as selling them a unit that they sold out of my inventory. If the dealers would work better together I think it would be a plus for everyone involved...

By the way, I am at an RV show this weekend with my Airstream Inc. rep and I am showing him your ideas and responses...

Keep them coming...just to let you guys and gals know, there are some improvements coming as far as on the tech. end of things...Ipod inputs and such...

You voices will be heard and I have already gotten some great ideas from you all that we will be implementing at our dealership when I return on Monday.

Gene
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Gene: Thanks for being willing to look at the hot topics. I think mothership could learn many things by just reading owner comments occasionally on this forum. Not everyone will be satisfied all the time but the majority should be the majority of the time. QC is the biggest reoccurring issue as I read various posts.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
QC is very important to all of us...Good quality makes all of our lives easier!!!

I know that it is also very,very, important to Airstream Inc. and I really feel like they are moving in the right direction. Not sucking up or taking up for them but I do see them doing things like the dealer council that will help everyone's voices to be heard.

Gene
Old 02-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Just an observation...

After poking around the Airsteam exhibit (aka local dealership) at a recent RV Show, I was surprised at how little the sales staff knew the product they were selling. Lots of mis-information given to potential buyers, only had last years (2006) brochures and made no attempt to distinguish themselves or Airstream from all the SOBs, other than the price tag.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
I have to add my 2 cents worth on QC. I have owned four new AS in two years and have my share of minor problems - always cheerfully repaired by my wonderful dealer in Albuquerque. I have had my new 2007 34' Classic for a little over a month, and have been in it entire time. I am VERY pleased with the build quality. Really, no complaints so far. I am pleased at the progress Airstream is making on quality. I spend a lot of time in RV park and hear a lot of horror stories from owners of SOBs. I always feel lucky to have an Airstream!

Pecos Pete
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks Pete...Like I said earlier, I am at the Arkansas RV SHow this weekend...and I just bust a gut when the other dealer's sale people come over and get in one of our beauties...they are so dang jealous...they say why can't we have a product like this to sell.

So I know we might have some issue's but it could be a heck of a lot worse.

Gene
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
After poking around the Airsteam exhibit (aka local dealership) at a recent RV Show, I was surprised at how little the sales staff knew the product they were selling. Lots of mis-information given to potential buyers, only had last years (2006) brochures and made no attempt to distinguish themselves or Airstream from all the SOBs, other than the price tag.
mr. sc,

just an observation... you must be in the market for a new 'stream.... let's all know what you PURCHASE next week... the new signature 25' CCD FB?

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Update Airstream.com

As suggested in another thread, the company web site needs updating. It should be updated regularly with the current models, interiors and options.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #36
Craftsman

Got to say the quality of my 2007 25' Classic is really excellent. A couple of minor things but I mean really minor.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
not me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
... the new signature 25' CCD FB?
mr.K10,

I am NOT interested in either the 25' CCD FB or the 25' Safari SE FB or the 23' Safari SE credenza ...

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
mr.K10,

I am NOT interested in either the 25' CCD FB or the 25' Safari SE FB or the 23' Safari SE credenza ...
mr. sc,

i could tell.... we all could... like all of us together...

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quality has improved... but always room for improvement!

After a year of reading various problems with AS quality control…
I was pleasantly surprised to find our 2007 23’ Safari SE almost perfect!
Fit and finish very good. No peeling laminate. No leak from shower!

But there’s still room for improvement, of course:
I second Pecos Pete’s & Timemachine’s observation re: missing manuals…
I got about 20 manuals but am missing about another 20…
For such items as the Dometic AC, Sony stereo & LCD components, Solar Power components,
Fantastic Fans, Zip Dee Awnings, Electric Hitch Jack, Duo-Therm Comfort Control, etc.
Airstream Service Rep said yesterday that he would send what manuals were available.

Factory should use "O" rings and better quality screws in exterior running lights…
We’ve already installed "O" rings to prevent moisture build-up in running lights.

Every dealer should have Airstream Certified service techs…
And their certificates should be on display in their public showroom and/or offices.

Thanks, gmorris, for this opportunity!

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #40
Craftsman

Can't ( but do) believe you guys are missing all these manuals. I received every manual , flyer, piece of paper related to every appliance or fixture in my airstream and I mean even tags that were suppose to be removed by the dealer during prep. They were all neatly in two black cardboard files with Airstream imbossed on the front and those were in an Airstream messenger bag.