Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

Austin , Arkansas
How to sleep 4

Im currently a fiberglass model owner of a 28' kids bunk style with front queen bedroom. My wife and I really like most all there is to like about the airstream and are considering one, except we cant understand how so many families are sleeping their kids? The idea of tearing down your dinette or couch sounds terrible. Can yall help me understand how you approach this matter?
jasonhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We don't travel with kids, but they have joined us for weekend trips and you're right, it was a bit of a hassle to break down the dinette every night. If I was doing it frequently with kids, I would want something like this model:

Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...oud/floorplan/
Old 09-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
We have this same question. Anyone have any other ideas? Not that the bunk is a bad one. I'm just curious to know what other families do.
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstymes View Post
We have this same question. Anyone have any other ideas? Not that the bunk is a bad one. I'm just curious to know what other families do.

We travel with at least two of our grandkids a lot. We own a 25' front bedroom twin. When we have the kids we remove the drawer unit between the beds and use a custom mattress that we had made that fits perfectly between the twin beds. To support it we use 3 pieces of 16" shelving material that slide out from under the beds. These make a solid support. Easily sleeps 3 or 4 depending on the size of the kids. If we have our older grandkids we use the side lounge in the rear to sleep one. No table tear down. If our children are with us as well we tear the table down, pull out the side lounge and easily sleep 6.
Silver Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I grew up tent camping while my parents slept in the trailer. Made every trip an adventure.
We have a member here that full times with a family of 7. They have constructed and installed pipe bunks for the kids.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Sleeping four in a 17 footer...

We sleep four (regularly) in our 17' Bambi II. My wife and I sleep on the standard front fold-out gaucho sofa/bed and I built in full-sized bunkbeds for our daughters during our complete rebuild.

I removed a closet (we don't regularly aspire to hang clothes when we are CAMPING) and split the kitchen to make this happen. The trailer was originally designed to sleep four on two sofa beds. The bunks fit our needs better.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I have a 27' Front Bedroom (27FB), twin model, and we are a family of 4.

My young kids (4&7yrs old) sleep in the bedroom on the twins. They sleep early so we close off the partition to the bedroom.

My wife and I like the pullout. It sets up reasonably quick and we're not in a rush. We put a mattress pad and sleeping bag on it, with a full size fitted sheet.

This works for us but I understand not everyone.

I have plans to convert the bedroom into elevated twins, with a daybed and desk under them. For when they grow up and want friends along.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Thank you for the replies. There is SO much to consider before purchasing. And I have read several posts from people who did buy only to trade for a different model in a short amount of time. I can definitely understand that because it is impossible to foresee everything. But we are really hoping to choose well for our family the first time.
Bstymes is offline   Reply With Quote