Old 07-13-2020, 01:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
APPLE VALLEY , California
How many miles or hours per day?

Good news! I am retiring (again) and moving back to FL. Currently, live in the CA High Desert.
Will tow 2018 27' FC from Apple Valley, CA, to Denver, CO (visit family a few days), and then head to Melbourne area, FL. Route will be Denver, Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, to FL.
TV is Chevy 2500HD Diesel. DW and 4lb chihuahua riding along.
This is a move, not a tour. So, we need to make time not see sights.
For planning purposes, do you have any suggestions on miles or hours per day for a safe, sane, and enjoyable steady drive?
THX
pc

PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:27 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are many who plan around the 250 to 300 mile/day and no more than 65 mph. I fall into that category for most trips. However, there are times when distance and time driving per day need to be longer. To do longer days you need to assess your health as part of boosting the upper mileage and driving time parameters. I don't happen to have any health issues requiring medicines or dietary restrictions.

In summer, with longer day light hours available and cross country destinations, I typically can achieve a 50 mph average on interstate routes. For planning purposes, I route plan a good day at no more than 500 miles over ten hours. When pushing the upper daily limit, I depart at sunrise (headed west) and take regular 5-10 minute breaks every 90 minutes or so. Coming east the low horizon sunrise can be harder on the eyes the first few hours so I adjust accordingly.

I eat healthy, non-sugar foods (protein drinks work well) to stay alert rather than relying on caffeine boosters and snack foods. I still maintain my speed below 65 mph despite the 70+ mph traffic passing me. I take 45 minutes for lunch mid-day and plan to avoid metropolitan areas rush hour traffic where possible. Rest stops work great for a power nap as the need arises during the day.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, leave fairly early and find a place to stop for the night before it gets dark. Heavy traffic wears me out sooner than light traffic. So my hours and miles vary. I hate pulling into a closed camp ground at night. Doing the closed office sign in thing. And trying to find my space and park in the dark. Not fun.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said, Bob and SeeMore.

These "miles per day site:airforums.com" search results may help round out the discussion -- lots of suggestions all over the place here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mile...=airforums.com

Plenty of variables:

-- how many competent drivers
-- personal fatigue parameters
-- stress/delays from traffic/weather/etc.
-- time required to set up/break down campsite
-- campsite reservations or daily "look see"
-- etc.

One personal suggestion . . . try to avoid "have to get to there by tonight" kinds of expectations. Rushing to keep a schedule, or "pushing on" when fatigued, can be a trap IMO. Know your limits, and respect them. They have gotten you this far!

Good luck,
Old 07-13-2020, 06:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
A lot of the stress to me comes from looking for campsites. So about noon I start making a guess as to how far we will be and I make a reservation for that night. That way I can deal with driving a little further if I know all I have to do is to pull in. We are pretty old and never in a real hurry so about 400 is our upper limit even on the interstates. Sometimes starting out we will do more on the first and second day. How far we go depends a lot upon how far the campsites we choose are.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
300 miles is plenty.
We are in no hurry.
If we leave around 8 AM we can usually be at the next stop by 3 PM.
One stop for fuel. 1 or 2 pit stops and an hour or so for lunch.
Makes for a stress free day.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
For planning purposes, do you have any suggestions on miles or hours per day for a safe, sane, and enjoyable steady drive?

Well safe, sane and enjoyable are many things to many people and not often associated with my style of travel. But...

I've done the FL to CA and back trip six times now in ten years. I'm usually pushing to get at least to AZ before slowing down or pushing to get home. I make my trip in four to five days. I'd have to add a day to Apple Valley so five to six days. So when I'm traveling, not touring, I'm putting in 350 to 450 miles a day.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Since you're not touring, days count.
I think 500 miles a day is reasonable. From Denver, I-70 east to St. Louis, (take the bypass N), then I-64 nipping the corner of Illinois, to I-55, the I-24 to Chattanooga, and I-75 to Atlanta.

UPDATE: Retiring? Make that 400 mi/day.
But, Unless you have someone waiting, why not enjoy the trip? Stop for an extra day and relax. It's a beautiful country.
I highly recommend the apps "Gas Buddy" and "Allstays". Pull over about 4pm, call ahead for a campground. These days, campgrounds are not manned after 6 pm, and arriving in a strange place after dark is no fun.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Everyone is different. I would start with a Rand McNally, and identify what you want to see or do on this trip. Then structure your drive days and non-drive days around that. And do what is comfy for you, not others. With apparently no time constraints, you can drive and see as much or as little as you want on a daily basis. Enjoy the journey.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
Passport America

Two years ago we toured the U.S.. One of the questions we kept getting was "do you have Passport America?"

Passport America will often save you 50% off of your overnight stay (some places Sunday through Thursday nights only). Some of the places we stayed, where rates were high, we saved the equivalent of the annual premium for P.A. in one night (I believe premium is about $45 per year).

We called on the road, and joined P.A. and had them send the P.A. card electronically to our cell phone, so we could show it, and it's ID number to the respective campgrounds. As you go east there are more and more campgrounds on the P.A. list, and we found ourselves focusing on going frequently amongst P.A. campgrounds. (download the Passport America application on your cell phone and consider getting your card before you leave.)

In California we normally camp at State beach campgrounds that don't have full hookups. These locations typically have sea breezes so air conditioning often not required. Traveling around the U.S., especially at this time of year, we found we had to stay at campgrounds with full hookups just to be able to run the air conditioning almost full time.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Safe and Sane

Quote:
Good news! I am retiring (again) and moving back to FL. Currently, live in the CA High Desert.
Will tow 2018 27' FC from Apple Valley, CA, to Denver, CO (visit family a few days), and then head to Melbourne area, FL. Route will be Denver, Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, to FL.
THX
pc
As you probably know what works for one may not work for another. If we are traveling at our happiest pace we like to start late, sleep in and enjoy a light breakfast. Then 250-350 miles later we are settled down for the night. Repeat as needed with a full down day every few days. We can safely do this for many days. Alternatively we have done longer days and distances but the key is frequent stops.
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
THX
pc
Hi

One driver or two?

How "comfortable" are the driver(s) towing?

How many "dog stops"?

How fancy for the "overnight" part of things?

How fancy for meals?

Are you willing to take a better route? ( = do you need to stop anywhere other than Denver?)

Those are just the easy questions ...

With all the "right" answers, 800 miles a day is doable without insanity west of the Mississippi. Further east, 600 miles a day is probably the max.

=====

In a lot of ways, this really does not matter.

It's "only" 936 miles on the first leg of your trip. You won't do it in one day. In two days, you are under 500 miles a day.

If you go via KC, Nashville, and Atlanta, plan on 2 to 3 hours stuck in traffic at each of them. You might get lucky, but probably not. Forget about a "miles per day" number with that kind of traffic en-route.

The second leg is "only" 1900 miles. Knocking off 800 of that in a day (with planning to hit traffic zones in the middle of the night) could be done. I know people who have done it. Doing the rest in two days .... sure, with the same sort of trip planning. Four days gets you to < 500 miles a day. How much does that extra day matter?

=====

Personally I'd *much* rather take it a bit slower. Cost wise, unless you go for fancy overnight digs or expensive eats, there is no impact. I'd do Harvest Hosts. Relax a bit and enjoy what you are doing. Retirement is supposed to be something you enjoy

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
WBCCI # 23456

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I haven't read the previous posts but I recommend 300 miles or 3:00 PM, whichever comes first.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , TX
We agree....300 by 3pm for a relaxing journey.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #15
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I am assuming you're not pressured by a timeline .. when we travel (no schedule) we leave early 7am stop early 3pm ... if we are planning a trip we plan around 600K (that is 350m) we never go over 95k/h (65m/h) it's all about comfort and safety.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I like to get 300 miles as a minimum, 450 is a long day for us.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
For me, it is 300 miles or 6 hours. No marathons, no Walmart’s, & try to see at least one thing. The trip should be as important as the destination.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If it's a move - given the hazards of C19, I would plan 400-550 miles a day. The variance is related to available campgrounds and the absence of same in some areas. Staying away from hot spots can extend the day. However, have a planed destination and at least two backups. Do not push harder than your abilities allow, but do push to reduce your outside exposure.

Prestock the rig, so no purchases other than fuel are required. Precook the meals for the first few days. That will give you more daily travel time. Do take a break every three to four days ..... a 300-350 mile day will feel like a day off. Do not drive at night. Get on the road early. Hit metro areas in non-rush hour periods.

This is the worst time to be traveling. The window for safe travel was in April. Few people out and about at that time period and there was a low infection rate in most states. That changed as the Summer kicked in. Take care - wear an N-95 mask. Use gloves, hand sanitizer and hand washing hygiene. Practice extreme social distancing, do not eat in restaurants and get this done with the least possible contact outside your immediate family unit.

Good luck with your trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #19
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If I need to get somewhere, 500 to 650 miles a day is not a problem with me doing all the driving.....We have done 600+ mile days on a motorcycle many times. By comparison, sitting in a climate controlled truck is a breeze.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
For me it is 6 to 7 hours in one day. I try to take a 15 minute break every 2 hours (avg). That's about 300 to 350 miles. However if I have to drive though Chicago or Milwaukee from where we live I find a campground on either side. To me it depends upon traffic. 200 miles of traffic is harder than 400 miles of open road. The exhausting part is when you are on an Interstate with heavy truck traffic. Sometimes it's better just to get off the interstate and drive a nice 2 lane. It might take longer, but it will be more enjoyable.

We have driven further in the past, but that is because we had to get there due to bad weather coming in and we wanted to avoid it.

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote