Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
miles......

we do 225-250 a day, relax and enjoy the ride..... get up kinda early,
but stop driving kinda early. this way you can enjoy the evening.

be safe
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Wow! You guys are tough, we never go by miles, we travel by time.
Never more than 5 hours.
Never at night.

Always at a speed that does not impede traffic.
We go with whatever the traffic flow is. No fixed speed.

And we avoid the interstates.

And we take naps.

We are traveling wimps.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #43
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
We'll do 300 mi./day traveling at 60. 65 passing... Usually that's 6 hours with a filler-up. We like to get where we're going by around 3 or 4, plenty of daylight left for setting up and relaxing.

Since we are retired and rarely have a deadline, we've found that the 300 mile goal when traveling to a destination keeps everything in perspective and... keeps all the traffic ahead of us....

You're retired now. Relax and enjoy the trip(s).
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
It’s hot as crap down here right now plus Florida is a serious covid-19 hotspot. Also it pours rain just about everyday in August and September is prime hurricane month. Take your time.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
West Paducah , Kentucky
Let's Go!

Hey PC, I need the same info for my upcoming trip...

I'll try to make this a brief... Here we go!
I'm a healthy 64y/o Painting/General Contractor for 40 years, she's a 60 y/o car dealership office manager/comptroller for 35 years, both in and out of retirement for the past year. Thought about renting a punky RV for a couple of weeks, since our 40 year anniversary trip to Hawaii had been pulled out from under us by some silly virus that people have been yacking about... (Enough said, there)

I was recently on a trip from our Western KY home, to CONTINUE helping my son remodel a 1938 "Santa Fe" style stucco duplex that he acquired in the historic district of Boise ID. We have completely gutted, and turned into a single-family.
(Enough said, there, too.)

Anyway, my son ran to me, while I was glazing windows, (whew!) and said, "Dad! Drop It! Come with me! He had somehow found out about a 1991 Airstream 36' Land Yacht that had been climate-control stored, with 44,000 miles (I am familiar with the legendary quality of the Airstream Brand)
So... long story short... It drove like a dream, critical systems seemed functional, and recent widow just wanted to turn that page in her life. I am embarrassed to disclose what she was asking for the unit, and what I immediately agreed to pay her.

I bought it, looked through a ton of service records and chose a shop where it had been serviced over the years, spoke with the mechanic that was familiar with it, and he has been going through it for 2 weeks to assure (reasonably) that it will mechanically be safe for our 3-4 day maiden RV voyage of 1800 miles from Boise, ID to Paducah, KY (motels, restaurants). After we fall out of her, at home, and kiss the Bluegrass, I will take her to my long-time mechanic, who has the reputation of being a motorhome "whisperer", and let him survey all of the support systems. I know that the leveling system will need to be diagnosed and restored.

We'll take a few (or more) months to make her "our own", get intimately acquainted with her (watch it!), and in the mean time, do research on what kind of tow-vehicle, and what kind of tow method, will best suit the RV, and any other considerations advised here, and elsewhere.

I've driven pretty substantial vehicles (trucks & big vans), towed pretty substantial trailers (construction & heavy sailboat), but I have never driven ANYTHING like this SWEEET motorhome. I never would have chosen this "MONSTER" for my first exposure to RV'ing, but it just "feels right". I have a friend who made the mistake of having a puny little hybrid vehicle outfitted to tow. Now he's grieving because the weight of that little car, with all of those heavy batteries won't let him pass an Amish wagon.

So... what should I consider? Over the years, I've made several very satisfied purchases from a popular online trailer outfitter/parts site, and I'm sure that they will come through again, when I finally decide what kind of rig I want to pull behind.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I expect that there will be several differing opinions, and I'll just have to study what will work best for the RV, the types of trips, and whatever other details need to be considered.

Oh, well... at least I TRIED to be brief. Thanks for your input.
Ron & Julie
ronreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Hi,

Remember we have over 12 hours of day light and you're traveling with your home! So you can take a half day break and take a sweet nap and safely do 8-10 driving hours a day.

That's one of my favorite things about an AS is the ability to just pull over and catch some Z's! Amazing what even 30 minute nap can do!

Plus if just transiting you'll probably want to stay at free camping truck stops and no sense getting to those too early.

You'll want to make certain legs of the trip at specific times. Crossing the Mojave will be best early AM. Major cities Sunday mornings or early or late. Those are the things that concern me more than daily miles. Then I tailor the trip around these "obstacles".

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
West Paducah , Kentucky
By the way, if you want to take I-64 East out of STL, then I-57 South to I-24 East at Marion, IL, you will pass within 6 miles of our place as you cross into Kentucky. If it's within your schedule, we have 30 amp, water, good food, and hospitality. We're 2 hours North of Nashville > I-24 Exit 4.

Just thought I'd offer. Is that even allowed?
ronreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
My wife and I are in our late 30’s so still working full time. When we take vacation time we want to get to our destination reasonably quick since time is limited. My wife doesn’t feel comfortable driving my truck let alone pulling a trailer so I’m the only driver.

I’m very comfortable driving 12 hours a day, if needed I can do 14 hours without affecting how I feel the next day. I know I’m in the minority here driving that long and if we are lucky enough to have more time in the future we will certainly slow it down.
WadeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you switch over to a MH from a TV/Trailer combo, things can change. You now have a "real bed" you can (but maybe should not) use for a nap. You also can get at (but again maybe should not) your entire food inventory while in motion. Same for the toilet.

With modest planing, gas fill ups should be < 10 minutes every 6 hours. On the open road, you can indeed chug along at 65 MPH. Net would be an average speed around 64 MPH. Do that for 14 hours a day and you are up around 900 miles a day.

Can / should / would you do this? That's entirely up to *you*. I've put in these sort of hours on the road. If the objective is purely to get somewhere in a hurry, it can be done. Toss in a third driver and "round the clock" is not an unbelievable approach.

Drive at night or not?

If you are on a wide open interstate out away from urban areas, driving at night may be the low stress way to do things. Traffic is down. Temperatures are down. With modern headlights and an open road, it's not that crazy.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #50
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
stop when you need to move around the coach - belt in

Bob - you should not - the seat belt laws are valid in a moving motorhome, just bas they are in a car. Stop for breaks, snacks can be stored within reach, no need to walk around while moving. You should not. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Barry's Bay , ON
I’ve found we’re about 10% slower than google maps thinks we will be, so factor that in.

Also, 5 hours total driving time is about the max I’m comfortable with for our two very small children. Usually max 3-4 hours if we’ll be driving for several days in a row
LiamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #52
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Bob - you should not - the seat belt laws are valid in a moving motorhome, just bas they are in a car. Stop for breaks, snacks can be stored within reach, no need to walk around while moving. You should not. Pat
Hi

Yup, I understand that. I also understand what a lot of people actually do .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
. . .
. . . Toss in a third driver and "round the clock" is not an unbelievable approach.
. . .
In the late 1960's two of us made it from NY to San Diego CA in 60 hours.

We slept for a while after that haul!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Here is my field-tested formula:

For calculation purposes, assume an "average" speed rate of 55 MPH, and add 45 minutes for every smaller city (Omaha) and 90 minutes for every large city (Denver). Add an additional 30 minutes for rush hour. Account for time zone changes.

This will allow you to drive at 62-65 mph on the road, and stop for gas, bathroom breaks, dog stops, lunch in the trailer. This has worked for us correctly for several trips.

Secret to not getting overly fatigued is to drive at 63-65 and let everyone pass you. It is much less tiring to drive that speed, and you aren't "fighting" for your slot in traffic.

Also gas up when you arrive. Gas stations are crazy in the mornings.

Try to be off the road at 4 pm if you can. (Or have a shorter day after a long one.) This allows for a nap, dinner, shower, and hang out. Early to bed and leave at sunrise. Much less traffic in the early mornings, and other drivers are more rested.

I recommend reservations for all stops. We stay in Denver a lot (Chatfield State Park). From there to KC is a really long day but is easy interstate driving. I-70 between KC and St Louis is awful. Tons of trucks and a lot of traffic. Be rested for that leg and try not to do on a Friday or Sunday because there will be extra traffic due to Lake of the Ozarks weekend traffic.

Depending on how early you realistically want to leave every day, just plot out the miles using the method above, get out the google maps, and figure out where to stop.
I agree with everything except the Denver to KC.
I planned a stop at High Plains Camping, in Oakley, KS. Nice folks, flat, good facilities, reasonable price, pull thrus. Then your next stop will be in central Missouri, not KC.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
In the late 1960's two of us made it from NY to San Diego CA in 60 hours.

We slept for a while after that haul!

If the destination is the trip...we share the piloting until rest is needed.

If the trip is the trip...it's very flexible, no finite limits.

Bob
🇺🇸

1971, Brothers Wedding, 54hr...But we started in Bflo > Glendale.
This little number...made it a bunch of young & foolish FUN.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5272C4B9-0661-4A7F-984F-4A05098EAD5B_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	373519   Click image for larger version

Name:	2AA1FC7C-2168-432B-B8DF-08B71E969477_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	373520  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2A27FBE8-B03B-42AD-BA10-4DC76A194CE1_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	373521  
Old 07-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

. . . was there any other purpose to life back then other than FUN?

We were in a van and could rotate naps . . . hard to imagine 54 hours in that Swedish sardine can!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . . was there any other purpose to life back then other than FUN?

We were in a van and could rotate naps . . . hard to imagine 54 hours in that Swedish sardine can!

Try imagining three boys, youngest 8 months old, DW and I crammed into a ‘76 Volvo station wagon with 4 seasons of clothes and supplies aboard. Went tent camping up and down the West Coast for two weeks.

Was a total blast, but the family refrain soon became ‘Gotta get a van” after the fourth day of camping in the rain. The kids still love camping, however.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
Good news! I am retiring (again) and moving back to FL. Currently, live in the CA High Desert.
Will tow 2018 27' FC from Apple Valley, CA, to Denver, CO (visit family a few days), and then head to Melbourne area, FL. Route will be Denver, Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, to FL.
TV is Chevy 2500HD Diesel. DW and 4lb chihuahua riding along.
This is a move, not a tour. So, we need to make time not see sights.
For planning purposes, do you have any suggestions on miles or hours per day for a safe, sane, and enjoyable steady drive?
THX
pc
...75 mph...3am till 11pm..sleep over the steering wheel and do it again...stopping for fuel...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #59
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The secret...hard boiled eggs, they bind you up good, so it's just gas, switch pilots and #3 when needed. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I could do a lot of things when I was 25 that don't seem that much fun anymore. Thousand mile non-stop drives is one of them.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote