Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite tow vehicle transmission?
Chev AT 107 47.56%
Chev Stick 2 0.89%
Dodge AT 27 12.00%
Dodge Stick 11 4.89%
Ford AT 65 28.89%
Ford Stick 13 5.78%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

How about a tow vehicle transmission poll?

I'm new here and not sure how to set up the poll...Which is your favorite tow vehicle transmission and why?
Chev AT

Chev Stick

Dodge AT

Dodge Stick

Ford AT

Ford Stick
If you have one that is your least favorite please post in thread....

Help....
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'll be happy to help.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Anyone have extremely bad problems from trans?

I've always been pretty lucky with my choices, and the last 3 in diesels- a Chev AT, a Ford C6 and currently a Ford 5 speed- never presented a problem.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the Dodge trans- the AT is supposed to break quickly and the 5 speed has a nut that is supposed to loosen and needs to be loc tited back on the main shaft.

Anyone have opposing or corresponding views?
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Very correct on the Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
I've always been pretty lucky with my choices, and the last 3 in diesels- a Chev AT, a Ford C6 and currently a Ford 5 speed- never presented a problem.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the Dodge trans- the AT is supposed to break quickly and the 5 speed has a nut that is supposed to loosen and needs to be loc tited back on the main shaft.

Anyone have opposing or corresponding views?
Your observation on the Dodge is correct. Too bad I didn't know enough about it last year.

We purchased a Dodge Ram Quad Cab December of 03 (it was an 04 model). We bought it specifically with our pending Airstream purchase in mind. One month and a few days into owning the vehicle, having a little over 2000 miles on it, the transmission literally shredded itself. The dealership informed me when they opened up the transmission shards of metal actually fell out. A new transmission was put in, but I don't have high levels of faith in it.

July of this year while working a contract in WV my exhast manifold began to warp. The dealership near me in WV diagnosed the problem, but suggested I could bring it back to NH (home) to fix it. When I finally returned home with my Airstream and Dodge I brought the truck into the local dealership. As it turned out several bolts were not securly tightened from the initial build of the Dodge (the dealership said this outright). So warping occurred where there was open space due to the improperly fit bolts. Leaves me to wonder if the truck was built at the end of the day on a Friday or a Monday morning????

Seeing the poll so far I'm glad to know that the favorite vehicles are indeed not Dodges! Unfortunately we own ours outright, and can't afford to take the financial consequences of swapping for another vehicle so quickly. Each time I roll out with our Airstream I wonder if we'll be calling for service somewhere along the road thanks to the Dodge. At least we love our Airstream!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you're gonna go diesel, the Allision that is in the Chevy pickup line is by a wide margin, the best on on the planet. Chevy also has the 4L80E which also is a fairly stout transmission. It can be found on the Silverado pickup line as well as the 3/4 ton Suburbans. Unfort, the diesel and/or Allision trans is only avail on the 3/4 ton pickups (and commerical trucks).

Heck, I've also pounded the heck out of a GM 4L60E, taking it where no 4L60E transmission could or should have gone and it took the punishment and asked for seconds.

Of course, I maintain the heck out of our vehicles, so that too could be a reason why as well.

Anyway, my vote is a GM trans (or Allision availbile on certain GM trucks) every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Rich, do you have a 3/4 ton truck? I see it's a quad cab, but I am unsure if it is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. If it's a 3/4 ton, that is a total shame. That trans should have gone the distance. If it's a half ton, I still can't see it shreading, but I could understand it not liking loads...kind of like the 4L60E compared to the 4L80E.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
I've heard a lot of bad things about the Dodge trans- the AT is supposed to break quickly. Anyone have opposing or corresponding views?
I can attest to that. Dodge 518 transmission, the converter self-destructed and took the rest of the trans. with it.
Terry
Old 09-30-2004, 09:27 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Plenty of room for you ex-Dodge folks over here in the GM pool. Come on in...waters great!
Old 09-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Dodges, et al

My last Dodge product ended up with the AT full of metal chips. I just had them put it back together and traded it on a Chevy. I have had exceptionally good luck with Chevy ATs.

Wish the Allison had been on the poll as a separate item. It is head and shoulders above the rest.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:40 PM   #9
Contributing Member

By the way

Did anyone else see the announcement that GM and Ford are jointly designing the next-generation AT? It will be a heavy-duty 6 speed and appear in the products of both companies. It is to handle the torque of the next-generation of turbo-diesels; i.e. over 600 foot pounds. The current Allison in light trucks is limited to 520 foot pounds in first and fifth gears.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-01-2004, 04:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
The current Allison in light trucks is limited to 520 foot pounds in first and fifth gears.
John, if your so inclined, a company here in Florida, called Suncoast, can rebuild an Allison 1000 and guarantee it for "unlimited" torque and power. They replace all the clutch plates with beefier ones. I think the cost is around $4300.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:25 AM   #11
Contributing Member

No need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
John, if your so inclined, a company here in Florida, called Suncoast, can rebuild an Allison 1000 and guarantee it for "unlimited" torque and power. They replace all the clutch plates with beefier ones. I think the cost is around $4300.
My Durmax puts out 520# of torque, so the Allison is perfect as is. For my 25 Classic, my current power is more than enough. I haven't encountered a major highway grade yet that I can't pull in 4th (direct( gear and often I run for hours never out of overdrive.

The current Duramax limits engine torque in first and fifth to 520# to protect the transmission. It puts out 590# in 2nd through 4th. I'm sure that if the market demands, GM will beef up the clutch plates, but right now I wouldn't pay anything for more power and lose my 200,000 mile warrenty on the Allison.

BTW, the Banks and other top line power enhancers are designed to work within the Allison limitations.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I don't see it on the list, but my money is on:

Fuller T-36, five speed fully sychronized, w/compound low.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Excella CM ,your right on the money there ,and its the most heavy duty
cast iron case transmission over all .I run the T34 overdrive ,but like the ratio
spread of the T35 and T36 trannys.These things are HUGE trannys and
very strong .The T35 and T36 came in IH chassis school bus and heavy truck
applications .No one builds one that compares so far as I have ever seen .
Fuller Truck transmissions are very heavy duty units ,but thats why IH used
them .The new venture 5 speed trans that was very popular is small by comparison ,and a T 98 4 speed is tiny.

Scott 68 travelall 392 V-8 T34 5 speed overdrive 4x4
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I used a 92 dodge cummins 5 speed stick for 160k miles went for a 6 speed stick on the new 2006 Cummins. So far so good, never had a moments trouble with the transmission or clutch.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yeah-we need to add Allsion to the list.
GM does sell 2 different HD trannies, makes sense to differentiate.
Put me down for 1 Allie...

Bill
Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Rochester , New York
Go Allison!!
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Go Allison!!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #18
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Love the Cummins but not crazy about the Dodge Trans. Have 120K so far and have had no trouble from the trans. (15,600 actual AS towing miles in 2006) I have the trans serviced and adjusted every 40K and so far, nothing but good reports on the insides. Just from stories from other Dodge owners, the trans is the worry that enters my mind at the times I'm thinking that its about time for something to go wrong. My fingers are still crossed on this one. I plan on replacing it with an ATS if it ever quits.

The 12v Cummins still purrs like a kitten and really stretches that diesel dollar, so I plan on keeping it as long as I can. The only maintenance I've had on the Cummins was a starter replacement and a valve adjustment since 1997, so its been relatively maintenance free (and its still fun to drive!)

So, not my favorite transmission, but the Cummins is my favorite powerplant.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
True Poll?

Hi, is this a true poll on transmissions or would it be vertually the same if the same people told what they have in their tow vehicle? Although the transmission in my Navigator seems very strong I would still vote, as the two best ever transmissions are, the GM Turbo 400 and the Ford C-6. The Allison is a great transmission, but as I said in another post, "Don't think for a minute that the Allison is amune to problems and failures." Acrossed the street from the Ford dealer that I work at is a Chevrolet dealer that has a separate building for Allison transmissions. They handle all Allisons from all over and on any day you can see piles of Allisons lined up for repairs. All mechanical things are subject to failure.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, is this a true poll on transmissions or would it be vertually the same if the same people told what they have in their tow vehicle? Although the transmission in my Navigator seems very strong I would still vote, as the two best ever transmissions are, the GM Turbo 400 and the Ford C-6. The Allison is a great transmission, but as I said in another post, "Don't think for a minute that the Allison is amune to problems and failures." Acrossed the street from the Ford dealer that I work at is a Chevrolet dealer that has a separate building for Allison transmissions. They handle all Allisons from all over and on any day you can see piles of Allisons lined up for repairs. All mechanical things are subject to failure.
Bob,

Good point about what fails. I have an NV4500, like the super low and overdrive, like the duribility. It is a 5 speed and needs to be a 6 speed.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote