Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
Gps

My portable GPS for my vehicle stopped GPSing. I need a new one. Any suggestions, as to what kind and brand, will be appreciated. My wife wonders about one that has campgrounds as some of their stored points of interest. Is there such a thing? Thanks
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I generally use Garmin units but have also used Magellan. I doubt there is much to choose between them - or Tomtom as well.

I suspect it largely comes down to which menu arrangement you have become used to

I think that with most, when you search for accommodation, you can specify hotels or campgrounds.

We still tend to refer to directories such as Trailer Life or Woodalls when on the road to pick a campground because youget more info/large ads etc, but also these days the directories give longitude/latitude coordinates so when we have selected a campground based on info in the directory, we just enter the coordinates in the gps and head to it.

Both Woodall's and Trailer Life also now have free apps for ipod/ipad. I have downloaded them to our ipod Touch but haven't really tried them yet. I'm not sure if they replace the paper directories- I suspect you have to be at a wifi hotspot to use them, and so for now we still use the good old paper directories - but in conjunction with our gps as explained. We don't have any devices that keep us in constant contact with the internet. If we did, then I suppose we wouldn't need the thick paper directories!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
GPS Co-Polit Live

Howdy!

I got tired of buying expensive map upgrades for our Garmin and did not want to purchase a life time map for and old GPS. I'm now using Co-Polit Live USA which is a down load that only cost $4.99 on my Galaxy Tab, and I also use it no my Sprint EVO phone. Co-Polit also has a RV setting and it is working well and have been using it now for a few months. If you own a smart phone or a Tablet iPad etc... which has a GPS in it I see no need to buy a new GPS. Another nice thing about Co-Polit is if you get a new device (phone, Tablet etc...) you can transfer Co-polit to the new device no charge.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have used Garmin and found them over the years to be satisfactory, however, I recently bought a new smart phone and I really like the navigation app that came with it. I have used it simultaneously with the one built in to my TV and found it to be very accurate. It also does not require expensive upgrades
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Cheap and cheerful Tom Tom has worked well for us, especially when on the look out for stopping places like Walmart or restaurants. The computer generated voice has us in fit of giggles as he struggles over place names.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I bought my Garmin Nuvi at Costco for a little over 100 bucks. You can easily add POIs from POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS . There are thousands of POIs which include campgrounds, stores and favorite coffee shops.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
The garmin Nuvi at Walmart for about $90 with lifetime maps is the best deal I have found. Garmin is my preferred GPS for on the road and in the backwoods.
DFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We love our Garmin Nuvi 700 series in the truck, but nothing beats the Good Sam RVPark Finder app and the AllStays Camp & RV app for your iPhone/iPad. Also good is the Campwhere app when looking for State and National park sites. We use RV Park Review on all platforms to check out the ratings by others on selected camps. The Woodalls app is the least useful. We also carry the good old fashioned books for all these.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
I have a Garmin and a TomTom , I think the Tom Tom is a little easier to use , but the Garmin lets you download directions from Map Quest , I m still learning the garmin but like the Tom tom a litter beter . What ever one you get , see if it comes with free maps for life .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Another really great feature to look for is "Lane Assist," which helps avoid hasty and dangerous lane changes in unfamiliar territory. Our Garmin Nuvi has it and it saved my bacon many times. The speed limit indication will save you from missing quick speed changes when you're busy in the cab with towing and lane changes. Lifetime map updates did not come with our 1490T and is a $90 upgrade, which I think is too much. Our Garmin, as wonderful as it is, was hopelessly lost in the national parks we visited in the Four Corners Region this year. It made up for it in a hundred other ways, though, in the big cities of the Southwest. If you travel with a gifted navigator, who's awake 100% of the time, you don't need one. But if you travel with Wynken, Blynken and Nod, you better go for it.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit13 View Post
My portable GPS for my vehicle stopped GPSing. I need a new one. Any suggestions, as to what kind and brand, will be appreciated. My wife wonders about one that has campgrounds as some of their stored points of interest. Is there such a thing? Thanks
An IPhone will do what you want and more.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
My experience: iPhone is very poor substitute for real GPS for when you really need a GPS and are looking for a site or a good route while traveling. Why? It only works "part time", ie it works only where phone/data coverage is really, really good. Does not work well, or at all, when traveling in TX, NM, CO, WY, MT, UT, ID, SD, ND, OK, or LA if not near a major city since coverage is inadequate across very large sections of those areas, including most Natl & State Park areas and NF and BLM lands and long stretches interstate between; in short iPhone works pretty good for us when we stay home.

We have settled on Garmin and MS Streets and Trips on the road. Garmin is small and convenient but Streets & Trips w/GPS receiver gives more info on sites and has been light years ahead of anything else with respect to route planning, real time positioning, and requires no data/Internet connection but it does require a laptop.

Tried Tom Tom & just didn't care for it's often "bass "ackward" routing lack of route planning.

Bottom line there are several options out there, some much better than others depending on what you need; I have seen nothing that is perfect for all uses.

Happy camping!
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

Cell phone GPS's are nice until while you a traveling you lose service. The Co-Polit live apt you download does not require service it will continue to work.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I have been using a Garmin 1490t for a year new. Overall very happy with it. It has lifetime free updates and free traffic. I agree the lane assist and speed limits are great features. I would look for a 5" screen as I have found it to be a great size when driving.
Do not depend on a cell phone gps if you are going off interstates. It only works where there are cell towers. GPS will work from most anywhere. Cell phone gps also has a lag to its coverage, so there are a lot of times you will be past your turn while the cell phone gps is catching up.
No unit is perfect. Each will have pluses and minuses.
I saw the 1490t for 149 on Amazon fyi.
Let us know what you get.
Frank
SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
I want to take time to thank everyone for their good advice. Believe me I need it - I'm barely able to spell GPS. My wife and I have cell phones provided by our work. They are not smart phones and, at least to me, it makes no since, in our case, to buy one and pay monthly fees. Right now I intend to buy a GPS when I get to town (where I live ya need a gps to find a store). Everyone's comments helped. I thank you all.
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSogood View Post
It has lifetime free updates and free traffic. I agree the lane assist and speed limits are great features.
This feature (free updates) and speak the street name is all I think I am missing.

I don't think brand matters. They all seem to be pretty good. Put it on one of those credit cards that doubles the warrantee when used to purchase items.