Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We prefer the front bedroom because 99% of the time, the best view is out the back of the trailer and we spend more time looking out the window at our dining room table than we do looking out over the top of the bed.

Of course, 90% of the time we are outside so this only applies to 99% times 10% = 9.9%!
I agree 100%!

This week:

Last week, our back in site at Vogel State Park, had us looking out at a flowing mountain stream and woodlands. Oddly didn't take a pano picture.

I think FB/RB is all in personal preference. Like asking why someone like a convertible vs a hardtop. We like the FB floor plan.

If the 28 came in a FB I would have one probably.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Interesting question. Our mpg ("learner" trailer) was basically one room, with the bed in the front and dinette at the rear. We thought there was somewhat less privacy that way. Most diesel pusher motor homes have the bedroom in the rear.

As for the view, that depends on the campground. Sometimes the best view will be toward the front and sometimes towards the rear. Since sites are generally more or less opposite each other, pick the side of the street that suits your coach.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I think I prefer rear bedroom since the majority of RV parks seem oriented for that. My Avion was front bedroom and that only came in handy at a park in Malibu where had I rear bedroom I would totally miss the ocean view. I returned to that park in my Class A and since I booked the same spot and remembered my FW experience I made sure to go but super long utility extensions in advance and ran them under my rig. Downside, the sewer hose was a tripping hazard and breaking that down was a nightmare.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
FB or RB?

Having had both, I think I prefer the rear bed. Advantages on my Serenity are, lots more storage closet space with the side closets on rear bed. Door closer to TV, so, in truck stops on the road, shorter walk to door at night. Also, when sleeping in truck stop, backed in, the diesels running all night at closer to my TV, I am way at the back away from the running diesels, noise and smell.

Downside, only one pano window at front with RB, but this is good when in heat. Door on RB is "suicide" door opening toward the front, on FB, the door opening is rear facing. On RB the dinette is along the side, I think I really like the end dinette, in rear on FB, better. Maybe AS can make one of these someday???

Overall I can say either is wonderful. And, each has clear advantages. My decision to go with my 30RB Serenity was to get larger fresh water tank (on 30RB) and slightly more room in the toilet...so nice.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Crestview , Florida
We have a 2013 Classic FB and are happy with it. We redesigned it and removed the table and put in 2 recliners. We either eat at the recliners or go outside. It makes it more comfortable and makes watching TV easier. I also used some of the bench seating area to house a cabinet that I moved and to house a microwave/convection oven unit. It works well for us.
david1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sacramento , California
Forward bedroom or aft bedroom

When we first saw 27 foot Airstream with a front bedroom we knew we were ready to switch from our beautiful vintage Silver Streak to an Airstream! No regrets! We love the front bedroom - we find that 90% of the time the view is out the back. The first night we spent in our Airstream was in Malibu with a fantastic view of the Pacific Ocean. Since then there have been very few occasions when the front view would have been better... I love that we don't have to look at the truck all the time. The carpeted floor and fabric walls make the bedroom nice and quiet.
Phoebe2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
With the rear bedroom I can still sit on the couch in the front and see out of the trailer all directions as long as no one is using the mid walk through bath-
Our previous sob trailer with the front bedroom had no window in the front of the trailer, but it had a slide with windows on 3 sides.
In a trailer with windows at the front and rear I don't think it will make much difference.
Most campgrounds are designed such that the living room at the front of the trailer is better for looking out into the campground or receiving company, but a living room at the back is better for seeing a lake or river.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #28

2007 23' Safari SE
FREDERICK , Maryland
I rent a space for the season at a county park on the Chesapeake Bay. In order to have a "waterfront" property right at the edge of the sand, the tongue has to be facing away from the beach (for evacuation). My living room in on the tongue side on my 2007 Safari Special Edition. I don't want to eat breakfast in the morning facing my neighbors. Luckily they have sites that are a bit farther (10' or so farther), but with no one between me and the beach. In these "water view" sites, my tongue and my living room can face the water. The upshot is that I would suggest that you check out the places you want to camp, and see how they arrange the campers. Next time around I am buying one with the tongue on the bedroom side, so I can get "waterfront" property right at the edge of the sand.
TOBIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Our first AS was a 23' with rear bedroom, we knew the perfect solution for us after a couple of years was a front bedroom a few feet longer. It works for us, as stated previously, rarely does the "view" come on the hitch end. On those great occasions when you back in to a spot the view is great over the dinette table.
Sales Manager at Holiday Trailers in Albuquerque said the one we were looking for (a 27 FB, FC) was the most popular floor plan and hard to find a used one. We were fortunate to find one in Denver at Windish RV. Love it.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia73 View Post
When we first saw 27 foot Airstream with a front bedroom we knew we were ready to switch from our beautiful vintage Silver Streak to an Airstream! No regrets! We love the front bedroom - we find that 90% of the time the view is out the back. The first night we spent in our Airstream was in Malibu with a fantastic view of the Pacific Ocean. Since then there have been very few occasions when the front view would have been better... I love that we don't have to look at the truck all the time. The carpeted floor and fabric walls make the bedroom nice and quiet.
Which RV park?
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the best view is always from outside of your trailer, unless it's raining.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
It's all personal preference. We chose the 27FB Classic because of the panoramic view from the rear, which is where the scenery usually is in state and National Parks. We figured the view from the bedroom window was not as critical, as we only sleep there. We also liked the floor plan on the 27FB, as you can divide the "social" (dinette, couch & galley) and "personal" (bedroom) areas two ways: You can close the sliding door at the front bedroom, and have social access to the bathroom and shower; or close the outer sliding door and have social access only as far as the galley and the personal space include the bedroom, bath and shower. We also liked the 27FB over the 28 and larger, inasmuch as the rear dinette and side couch made for a better social area, where no one has their back to the others, as would be the case in those with a side dinette. The 27FB works for us - your mileage may vary!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Bedroom location is secondary to other considerations

There are advantages and disadvantages to either location for the bedroom. I could take either location, provided my other criteria were all met.

More important to us than bedroom location were our other requirements, which included:

• space for two comfortable recliners (no sofa, please)
• dinette (provides a nice work bench/desk/dining table, as needed)
• roomy mid-closet
• roomy bathroom
• ample size kitchen counter space

There is only one choice of Airstream models which allows the above features: the 30' models, which happen to have a rear bedroom. Added benefits: the 30' models also have a larger refrigerator and larger fresh-water storage tank.

We scrutinized all of the larger Airstream floorpans and concluded that there was just one choice for us. The 30'. Thus, the rear bedroom in the 30 footer is perfectly fine with us... as all of our requirements are met. And, we can see straight out the rear window from the front recliners.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Boondocks here. Front bedroom was the best choice for us.

Out in the open desert the front view is of a Chevy. Rear view is miles of open space. Made more sense to have a FB for us.

How do you camp is the real answer as to which is best for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #35
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Front Bed - we do not have a panoramic view in back, so that's not what drives our front preference. We like to be in close proximity to the TV when sleeping. It's a security thing. We also believe it is normally a little quieter when we are in the center of a pull through site. The front bed location is often shielded by a longer trailer or MoHo. Enjoy your ride - front or back.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have no preference. We have had both. One was basically the floor plan of the other backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For the view out back from the dinette, if you happen to have one, front bed.

For everything else and when there is no view out the back, rear bed works better.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
We opted for FB,for the same reasons. Banking on the idea that the best view in country or state parks will be through the back window.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
We liked the RB. Here are a bunch of the reasons. I'd also add that we like having the dinette directly across from the galley, giving more work space.

https://vimeo.com/8750939

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Kind of like this. Since the only waking hours I spend inside is sitting there....
The one downside noticed so far is the door location relative to cement patios in RV parks..
Someone else could know if there is a difference in the location of tank dump connection between FB and RB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1445895606606.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	251079  
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote