Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Ask an Airstreamer Topic Ideas

Hi everyone!

We've been doing "Ask an Airstreamer" webinars every month; here's a link to all of them that we've done so far if you haven't*seen them.

https://www.airstream.com/ask-an-airstreamer/

We'd love to know what topics everyone thinks would be most useful. We look forward to your topic ideas!*
Old 02-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
How about National Park camping with your Airstream?

These experience are often the beginning point where full hookup campers dip their toes into the non-hookup camping experience, but in a campground instead of in the wild boondocks.

Could discuss generator use, water management, getting situated in tight sites, traveling and bringing your food with you, what about TV?, and living on inverter power.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
How about National Park camping with your Airstream?

These experience are often the beginning point where full hookup campers dip their toes into the non-hookup camping experience, but in a campground instead of in the wild boondocks.

Could discuss generator use, water management, getting situated in tight sites, traveling and bringing your food with you, what about TV?, and living on inverter power.
Great idea, thank you!
Old 02-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
How about telling us WHO you/this is first . We're not really sure you are "actually" Airstream or Airstream employed. Are you contracted by Airstream for community interaction/ambassador relations type of work.

I think once before there was a thread here that was airing frustrations about customer service. A comment was made that "insert a high level Airstream name here" doesn't care not read these complaints. That named employee (or someone designated by him) answered on the thread and said they do care and are aware of the complaints.

Who is AirstreamInc on AirForums. Inquiring minds want to know.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I have watched the previous webinars, and they have been informative, but from the questions you can tell most of the people attending are new to Airstreaming. So maybe just a webinar for newbies to ask all their questions? A webinar on each of the major systems in an Airstream would be very helpful. But it would need to be presented by a Airstream designer, or engineer, not a Airstream owner.

A few of the previous webinars where rushed to finish in an hour, remove the time limit and let people ask questions as long as needed.

Damon

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
We'd love to know what topics everyone thinks would be most useful. We look forward to your topic ideas!*

Given how there is such a disparity of customer service during the new Airstream delivery experience between various dealers, some sort of new buyers' guide could be very useful--especially those just getting into RVing for the first time. I see a need for some practical "how to take delivery" advice/lessons.

If consumers were better-informed during the delivery process, they could ask better questions and identify potential issues before leaving their dealer's lot. As a newbie myself a few years ago, I experienced a few problems after I had travelled about 1000 miles away from the dealer. I now know these things are common failure points (and, sometimes, the result of operator error!) that could have been resolved before we ended up vastly inconvenienced in the middle of nowhere.

I know better now...but I didn't then.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
St. Augustine , Florida
I've watched several now and always learn something. Thank you. Both the power and technology could have been longer or broken into more focused topics.
Two possibles: Airstreaming with families (nod to the full timers next door to us with 2 kids in 87 Excella) and interior set up tips for newbies (how to fit stuff in lockers!, pots/pans, dishes.... essential gear, hot or cold weather travel..
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I to have watched a couple of these. Winter camping and power/solar and found both very helpful. I would like to see one on regular and annual maintenance. Like how and what to use to lube the steps, cleaning the roof and resealing if necessary. Things you should and shouldn't do.

Thanks for asking!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A frank and honest discussion about quality control “misses” . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Agree with OTRA15

At the 2019 Int’l Rally on Doswell, VA, Airstream announce establishment of Supply Chain VP. Our community is very interested in the statistics based in use of Six Sigma tools and Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) this VP has developed to track improvements in the Supply chain.

Is Airstream experiencing improved supplier quality as delivered to Jackson Center over the past 5 years? What is the statistical average per trailer of Supplier rejects?

Analysis of the Quality rejects in the assembly of the trailers would also be appreciated.

Perhaps you could provide the average rework hours per unit on an annual basis for the past five years?

Seems like customers should be aware of what our beloved manufacturer of the most expensive bumper pull trailer in the country is doing to improve both Supplier and Assembly quality?

I would ask Airstream to share the above analysis on the Forums and at the International Rally in TN in July.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Why did it take many decades of untreated ( rotting) plywood floors, before just recently going with a non rotting floor.
In the most $$$ travel trailers made??
#AskingForSomeFriends
Old 02-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I guess they assumed owners would maintain their trailers properly. No leaks = no floor rot...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Great idea, thank you!
OT -- Sorry for the off-topic post -- an urgent matter, it appears, regarding Airstream QC.

Could Airstream please help out this young family on the road, in trouble, with lots of Atlas problems?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...es-219580.html

Thank you.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I guess they assumed owners would maintain their trailers properly. No leaks = no floor rot...
Once a leak that
may not even be obvious starts, and finds its way to the cheap untreated plywood floor, the rotting starts.
Even the casual reader of these Airstream forums, would see many complaints by new owners, year after year, for decades,of leaks in brand new Airstreams.
It's called planned obsolescence, in manufacturing.
In this instance, used in the most expensive travel trailers made.
Treated marine plywood has been used in the boat industry for many decades.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
At the 2019 Int’l Rally on Doswell, VA, Airstream announce establishment of Supply Chain VP. Our community is very interested in the statistics based in use of Six Sigma tools and Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) this VP has developed to track improvements in the Supply chain.
. . .
Seems like customers should be aware of what our beloved manufacturer of the most expensive bumper pull trailer in the country is doing to improve both Supplier and Assembly quality?

I would ask Airstream to share the above analysis on the Forums and at the International Rally in TN in July.
Good suggestions IMO, with a focus on order fulfillment/delivery of completed Airstreams, an issue raised in this new thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ys-219588.html

Old 02-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Granville , Ohio
I loved the most recent one on traveling with pets... Also, watched the one on staying connected. Need to watch the one on power systems

This thread though... Talk about wobbling off topic. It's ask an Airstreamer, not ask Airstream. Did anybody actually go to the link? Lol....

How about one dedicated to maintenance? One on custom upgrades, what the popular ones are and how they are accomplished?

I like the national park idea.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #17
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Upgrading Mattress

What is the process to procure a custom made upgraded mattress that is light enough, without sacrificing comfort, to allow easy lifting of the bed to access ‘under the bed’ storage area?

• what mattress to buy
• which vendors do custom made
• what questions to ask vendors
• is there a requirement to also upgrade the lift
mechanism hardware to hold up a bed with a
heavier mattress?
• is there a DIY solution?

Thanks for asking.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
I’d love to hear this topic: What is filiform corrosion and how can you prevent/abate it?
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #19
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Peas View Post
I've watched several now and always learn something. Thank you. Both the power and technology could have been longer or broken into more focused topics.
Two possibles: Airstreaming with families (nod to the full timers next door to us with 2 kids in 87 Excella) and interior set up tips for newbies (how to fit stuff in lockers!, pots/pans, dishes.... essential gear, hot or cold weather travel..
All great ideas, thank you all!

We have one on two families that travel with kids and roadschool coming up this Friday. Are there specific topics that you'd want to know about traveling with kids?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Homosassa , Florida
I would be interested in knowing more about Airstream connect and how that can best be used whether for kids schooling on the road, working on the road or just leisure use. How to change carriers and still use the Airstream Connect features. Connectivity is going to remain a top priority as people work, play and recreate on the road.

Jim
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote