Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you like the new design?
It is a winner! Looks great! 47 57.32%
I like the classic wooden interior! 21 25.61%
To each their own... 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2002, 09:07 AM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Question 2002 'Deam' Designed Airstream.

Wired magazine ran an article on the new 2002 Airstream "Deam" design
See the article by clicking here.

Here are some pictures of the "Deam" design trailer.

What do you think about this design? Vote in the pole at the top of this page!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
I went to the Kansas City RV show today and Bill Thomas had one of these on display, what a beauty, a real departure from AS's normal decoratings, the aluminum on the inside is really cool too. Show price was $31k or 39k (cant remember which). Definitely worth a look to get some fresh ideas.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
IiNTERIOR

I love the interior, although it doesn't seem very warm. It has a modern enough look to go with the exterior which has always been classic. I also liked those Ralph Lauren interiors, although a bit overdone, they give some great ideas for redoing the Airstreams. As for my own, when we redid it we looked to keep the same basic look, so we used the original chairs, sofa, etc, and just did a restore/recovery.
Would love to see Rutger Hauers motorhome interior!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I am the type that loves the hightech stuff. You know, fast computers (we have a Dell Pentium 4 with the 1.9 ghz proccessor, Palm Pilot (I have a Palm V), but it just doesn't seem the place for hightech on an Airstream. I don't know, maybe I'm just so use to seeing Airstreams in their original condition that the new interior seems cold and without personality.
mwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
New Interior

Being an Architect, the finishes are interesting... but as always you must experience any space first-hand. Photos always paint a space in its best light (we submit them for design competitions) but sometimes the reality can be disappointing.
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 06:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
I like what I see! This prototype appears in line with what the auto companies have began to do, with success, with several cars (Beetle, T-Bird, Mini, etc) – use classic line on the outside, with modern technology under the skin. I purchased my 99 Safari based on its classic looks on the outside, but I must admit the interior, though practical, still reminds me of a 1970’s apartment. Today’s home buyers/remodelers are requesting a lot of stainless in their kitchen, why not in your Airstream?
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:46 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I went thru one of the new International CCD's at a dealer in Tampa. While I will admit that even the new Airstream interiors seem a bit dated, this one was a bit sterile. I like to walk into my rig and feel comfortable. This felt cold and not very inviting. I saw the pictures on the web and my first reaction was I WANT ONE! But after going thru it I like my comfortable interior better. I am not above stealing a few design ideas, the round sink and the two burner cooktop are the things I am doing. I think there are too many hard surfaces and not enough storage in the CCD.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I saw one at the Alameda RV show in January. I liked the look, but wouldn't buy one. I think it would appeal to the younger group. I wouldn't want a TT that small. Wife & I enjoy the space we have in our 31'.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 03:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I, too, went through the one at the show in Tampa. My first reaction was that it looked like a surgery center - very sterile and cold. I prefer the warmth of the standard.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Looks good to me

I finally got a chance to see one of these, and was impressed. I really like the look, particularly the polished aluminum interior. I only question two items: shouldn't the cooktop be rotated 90 deg. to free up effective counter space, and is a desk and chair the best use of the available space?

Really sharp, though. If I was looking for a 22' I would have to give it strong consideration.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:46 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not for me, but to each his/her own

The dealer had an AS and a CCD in stock when I called. When I got there a few days later, a new owner was just being given the delivery walkthrough of the CCD, but he graciously allowed me a few minutes to check it out.

Frankly, the CCD reminded me of a diner I used to eat in while in high school in the 50s. Glitzy cold, sterile, and uncomfortable. I could easily go for the floor layout with a different decor, though. I was quite disappointed.

I then found the AS in the very far corner of the lot and it was love at first sight. Nice floor plan. Modern, but warm feeling interior. I especially liked the gally area since I like to cook; this one had the optional oven and it had a double sink which, IMHO, is a needed change from the single round sink. The rounded laminate corners on the cabinetry give it a smooth, warm feel while making it easy to maintain.

To make a long story short, I towed my TrailManor over the next day to see what kind of trade I could wangle. By that evening, the deal was done.

Tomorrow, we take off for our first weekend in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	street.jpg
Views:	2235
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	230  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:50 AM   #12
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Talking More pictures John....

If possible, please postsome interior shots and other exterior shots in your Photo Gallery @ www.airstreamphotos.com. You can link to your gallery by clicking on the Photo button under each postyou have made...

Cheers,

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 08:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
New Airstream interior

Andy,
I gota tell you my personal view is: This is a step in the right direction~!!
BTW, not too many years ago, a Englishman came up with an design interior that just 'smacks darn near' this conception of Airstream. Mmmmm, makes you wonder???
Here's the URL, go visit and, see if you agree..
http://www.nic.bailey.btinternet.co.uk/
This was a design effort for the '100% Design Exhibition in London 1996.'
ciao,Vern
WBCCI 5292
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I checked out the Bailey design. I like it!
It is contemporary but not ultra high-tech like the Deem model. I think I would buy one similar to the Baily design.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 03:35 PM   #15
Contributing Member

First trip, 2003 International AS

We just returned from a really nice first trip to shakedown our new International AS trailer. It was just about a 200 mile round trip to the Kerrville Folk Music Festival with two nights at a KOA. The route was through the Texas Hill Country, with lots of ups and downs. My towing mileage was about 12 MPG, which I consider very good over these roads. I haven't had much, if any better miledage towing two lighter trailers over the same route. I currently tow with a 5.3L 2001 Silverado 4wd.

A few minor glitches:

1. The medicine cabinet was held shut only by a dime-size dot of velcro. I had already replaced this with a 3" veldro strip, but the cabinet still dumped its contents twice. A mechanical latch goes on before the next trip.

2. Even though the route was fairly smooth, two items bounced off the lazy Susan pantry and were very hard to retrieve. I suspected this might happen and I already had designed a "fix". That will go on before the next trip of any length.

3. I had minor refrigerator problems. The 110 volt mode doesn't cool well at all and the propane mode was still freezing things with the thermostat turned clear down to 2.

4. Spice containers bounce out of the spice rack because the plastic angle that forms the side is far too low. This happens every time I move the trailer.

Other than these several glitches, we found the trailer to be totally agreeable to live in and a joy to tow.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-09-2002, 05:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
RE:First trip, 2003 International AS

Hi John,
First, Congrats on the new unit~!! I wish you and, the D/W well!
A few thoughts:
Maybe your frig needed just what you gave it..'A shakedown'. To get those ammonia crystals back down..
Just wondering? Did you have anything in it for the trip?? I know it's a silly question but..Someone more experiences than I, may suggest takin a look at the owner's manual to see if there's any adjustments?? Likw to hear what you come up with for this one.
The spice thingie is an easy cure..perhaps, lol..What we do is fill the void with table napkins and, dish towels..That way, it holds the stuff in place. Same with the medi cabinet.
Sounds like your trip was a terrific success~!
ciao
T7
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:33 PM   #17
Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice

The fridge was about half full for the trip, but the freezer compartment was almost empty. Next time that I bring the trailer home to get ready for a trip, I'll put in an accuate thermometer and see if the flame cuts back at about the right temperature. It was in the 90s outside this weekend, so I certainly have plenty of cooling power on propane.

I don't know why it didn't cool decently on AC power. That's another thing to measure when I bring it home next time. Covenants don't allow me to keep the trailer here at the house.

Good idea on the spice rack. That'll save me from inventing some hardware fix (we engineers always miss the obvious).

The medicine cabinet was almost empty and still came open. All that was inside was some disposable razors, some little hotel packets of shampoo, etc., and a stick of deodorant. The way the door is built, it just doesn't seat well enough against the velcro to make a good bond. The door will have to have a mechanical lock to keep it from swinging open and possibly tearing off and/or damaging wherever it strikes against.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-21-2002, 07:00 AM   #18
Contributing Member

Situation well in hand

I posted this elsewhere, buy I'll repost it here near the original gripes.

My fridge problem was quite simple. The temperature knob is apparently misaligned with the thermostat somehow. If I turn the knob too far toward cold, the cooling shuts off. Now that I know where to set the knob, the fridge works fine and I see no reason to have it fixed. On my last trip, in the mid 90's, the box worked just fine with the temperature knob set between 1 and 2. Temp inside was in the mid 30s.

Stuffing the dishtowel in above the spices kept them nicely in the rack. Thanks towner7!

The mechanical latch I added on the medicine cabinet door worked like a charm.

The plastic shield I added to the Lazy-Susan pantry kept everything nicely in place. No more jamming my hand underneath to retrieve unseen lost items. This is something Airstream really needs to fix. The Lazy-Susan could easily be jammed closed by something hard and there is absolutely no way to get a hand in there to free it. I was lucky that the lost items were pastries in baggies that couldn't jam anything.

Right now, after two short break-in trips, I can claim 100% satisfaction with the operation of everything in the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2002, 12:47 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
2002 CCD

I checked the CCD Design Airstream out at Traveland Irvine recently and was very impressed by the design, however found the execution and quality very very poor. Sharp edges on the interior aluminum panels, protruding rivet heads, sliding doors that worked very poorly, and a room divider that was already broken, in a demo trailer. Disappointing to say the least. We own a 71 Tradewind that is still quite functional, after 30 years.This new one we saw seemed fragile, to say the least.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:59 AM   #20

I think the Deam Airstreams are awesome! It's about time someone moved past the oak wood and nubby upholstery that has been ubiquitous in RVs. This medium seems to be one of the last touched by a true sense of style and design.

Although we are still light-years behind the Europeans in style sense and how it plays a part in our everyday life, we have certainly made strides (e.g., Phillippe Starck and Michael Graves designing for Target). While it's not everyones cup of tea, in order to continue to attact a younger client-base, it is necessary to offer these options to those that are so savvy about design.

http://www.time.com/time/europe/maga...26/design.html
kbbondie is offline   Reply With Quote