Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bellaire , Ohio
1949 Cruiser 24 Found

Hello,

Hello, Im Mike Bilyeu. I recently stumbled across the above stored in the backwoods of PA for sale. In searching online, I can find very little information on it except on this site where there are only six known according to a registry

I was wondering if the community could share any information, concerns, etc. Ultimately trying to figure out if it would be worth me purchasing and restoring. There is no rot, road worthy, but needs the obvious go through as well as a new interior (original and needs to go), and polish. I am partial to older airstreams as I spent many nights in my grandparents.

I appreciate any reply, just seems yall are the authority on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5741.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	637.9 KB
ID:	439295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5742.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	439296  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5740.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	439297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5739.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	439298  

mbilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First Off, welcome to AirForums!

It looks like a pretty cool trailer in remarkably good shape from the exterior! My biggest concern is that it sits on a pipe frame.

A 'pipe frame' has a center spline down the middle lengthwise & "fish bone" outriggers cantilevering off on the sides opposed to a 'ladder frame' which has two members going the length of the trailer with "ladder rungs" going between them. The ladder frame is a better design structurally, especially on these longer ones - they switched over to ladder frames throughout the line in 1950+/-.

If it were me, and I were to purchase a trailer with a pipe frame for restoration, I would definitely change out the frame to a ladder frame because any added weight could overtax the pipe frame - especially if it has been stored outside. I've heard of people with old pipe frames that when hitched up to a tow vehicle, it pulls the pipe right out and leaves the trailer & outriggers behind because of the weakened connections to the spine - kinda like de-boning a fish.

You may have already come across the Vintage Photo Archives website, but if not there is lots of good info there too. Since there are so few of them check out info on similar year/length trailers too.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! We all love photos of these oldies - do you have any of the interior?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:16 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bellaire , Ohio
Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it and of course the information. I’m going to look at it closer in the next few days and see for myself if the bones are as good looking as the exterior. The top on the pipe/ladder difference will have me looking at the structural connections very closely. I’ll upload pics of the interior once I take them. If there’s signs of dampness inside, I’ll pass. Otherwise, interior will be gone anyway, nothing crazy just new and functional.

Thanks Again!
mbilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote