Old 09-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Gold Hill , North Carolina
Window sun blocker ideas

Would like to find a better way to prevent sun damage to the interior while in storage. I've tried to use auto types using Velcro with limited success. Seems they don't stay put over the windows very well over time. Wonder what others have found to work for this purpose?
Thanks, Tom
n89217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have always used the silver padded insulation material that you can buy on a 40' roll at Lowe's. it works very well and lasts virtually forever.

On Lucy's side window, we cut the material to size and slide a few inches up under the window shade to hold it in place. Then we pull the shade down and everything stays in place, even if you leave them in underway for the front and back windows, we cut a strip that covers the whole window. it rests on the lower curtail rod and the closed window holds it in place. These can also stay in while underway.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lafayette , Colorado
Hi... on our '68 we cut reflectix to fit all the window openings and put it in place from the inside. On the '76 Argosy we do the same basic thing but open the windows and put in place from the outside, then close the window. Also great way to block night time light intrusion. During the day, take the same piece, open the window and put it on the outside with a couple cheap clamps and now you have an instant awning... very light weight.
Regards, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:52 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Thanks for both replies. I'll check out the reflectix product sold at Lowes. Sounds like it may be more rugged than what I've tried to use. Also, the suggestion to use it between the glass and screen is something I had not tried.
Thanks again!
Tom
Old 09-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
This works well for us... Open the window fully. Measure top to bottom & side to side.
Cut square. With the window open, place the reflective material up against the screen from the outside and force the corners into place without cutting. Close & lock the window.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n89217 View Post
Would like to find a better way to prevent sun damage to the interior while in storage. I've tried to use auto types using Velcro with limited success. Seems they don't stay put over the windows very well over time. Wonder what others have found to work for this purpose?
Thanks, Tom
ditto........moosetag has it correct
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Auburn , Washington
I use the Reflectix as well.

Dave
Biggmixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
You could also replace the screens with a UV blocking screen. The downfall is that itís a little harder to see out the windows because the solar screens donít let in as much light though.
gmcryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:29 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I'm headed to Lowe's for the reflectix, and will be using it. Good idea harryk about cutting and placing over the screen. Great to have all the experience of this group to help answer questions!
Regards, Tom
Old 09-07-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n89217 View Post
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I'm headed to Lowe's for the reflectix, and will be using it. Good idea harryk about cutting and placing over the screen. Great to have all the experience of this group to help answer questions!
Regards, Tom
In the end, whatever works for you is the right answer.

A few things come to mind...

We used the moosetags approach - we install ours from the inside. Each is cut larger than the window and is held in place by the curtains and shades. This makes it a one person job to insert or remove the bubble insulation. We labeled each piece with a permanent marker so we can put them back into position. It's surprising how many of the windows are ever so slightly different for one reason or another. Installing and removing the insulation from the interior allows us to use it in strategic locations when we are camping. If we have some annoying sun penetration on one or two windows we can block it out in a matter of minutes with just one person.

If you cut the bubble insulation to size and install it from the outside between the window and screen this sounds like a two person job. It also will not be convenient for those periodic situations in which you need to block the sun.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
for the skylight, i cut pink hard foam insulation and sprayed on glue and covered it with kitchen alum foil.

they are light weight and fit is snug as a bug.
they do keep the inside cooler on the hot days
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Hi... on our '68 we cut reflectix to fit all the window openings and put it in place from the inside. On the '76 Argosy we do the same basic thing but open the windows and put in place from the outside, then close the window. Also great way to block night time light intrusion. During the day, take the same piece, open the window and put it on the outside with a couple cheap clamps and now you have an instant awning... very light weight.
Regards, Mark D
We have done this for years and put it between the awning window and screen outside ...then close and lock. We have stored it this way for the winter for several years now and it works 100% at blocking out any light an UV. we keep them under the seat cushions and find them handy to bring out the odd one sometimes for a light block on a particular window when its causing a problem say in a park with a bright light on......Cheap and easy solution.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Well, since I started this thread, I would like to again thank all of you for your replies. Yesterday I measured all the windows , cut the material to size, labeling each for their respective window. I ended up putting most of them between the window and screen. On the curved front windows, I inserted them inside between the window and the curtains. I liked the idea of storing them under the inside cushons, and will try doing that while camping. BTW, I too was somewhat surprised of the slight difference in size of the same type windows. After all said and done, the end result is very satisfactory.

Thanks again to all, and happy camping!
Tom
Old 09-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Tucson , Arizona
I too use Reflectix, but, I don't see it here, I've cut and attached it to the inside of the open window (from outside) with double sided tape (the tape needs replaced sometimes). On the outside of the open window would subject it to wind, and would need removed while traveling. No removing the Reflectix & storing. When the window is closed it blocks the sun completely, but when it's a pleasant day, I can open the window and see out and have air drift in. In Arizona, Reflectix is a MUST!
LynneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
West Paducah , Kentucky
Simple, Effective, and Cheap

Just on a whim, I ordered from that South American River a set of 6 mylar emergency blankets 3' X 8' each, put velcro "dots" on glass and custom fitted mylar panels. The blankets weigh absolutely nothing, and dime-sized velcro dots just in the corners and sag points are very adequate to hold the panels in place. It has completely eliminated any radiant heat from the sun, and yet they are somewhat see-through from the inside, but a complete mirror from outside.

Best accidental solution I've come up with in decades!

I hope this reaches you before you make purchases that you can't return.

"RV There Yet?"
ronreeder is offline   Reply With Quote