Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
What's this Argosy Minuet worth?

I have come across an Argosy for sale, and thought someone here might be able to help me assess the deal.

It's an "Airstream Argosy Minuet 1978, 22ft. Very good condition" Before I say what it's listed for, what do you think would be a good price?

I wish I knew more about it, esp. a floor plan and GVWR.

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings CB!

Welcome to the Forums!

First, the relatively easy part of your question regarding floorplan and empty-weight. The attached image is for 1979 models, but the 1978 floorplans were identical and weights were essentially unchanged.

As you can see in the scan, the empty weight for the 6.7 Metre (22') Minuet is 2,725 with a hitch weight of 280 pounds. I don't have the GVWR figures immediately available but belive that the GVWR is approximately 4,000 pounds. The loaded hitch weight will likely approach or be slightly over 500 pounds. With the relatively light hitch weight on this coach, it is often advisable to travel with a full water tank to increase the hitch weight to between 12% and 15% of actual trailer weight.

The one variable with the interior is the front lounge area. The lounge was standard and the dinette was a $50.00 factory option. Everyone has their personal favorite, and mine is the front lounge -- I would never utilize the dinette -- just too confining -- but to each his own -- this is a very personal preference.

I hesitate to comment on price as the value of all RVs are fluctuating due to the current economic conditions. Prior to the current fluctuations, I would have expected the price to vary between $2,000 (needing near total restoration) to $7,500 (presentable and ready to use). Something to be aware of with these 6.7 Metre coaches is that there is a slim chance that you may encounter one with the composite aluminum floors -- there weren't many 6.7 Metres built with this feature but there have been a few that have been found.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks for the great reply.

Here's the deal: Airstream Argosy Minuet 1978, 22ft. Very good condition

The photos show it is the front lounge version. I guess there just is not table anywhere? Two sofas?

What do you think about that posting?

-CB-
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It would be HIGHLY unlikely that a trailer of that age has never had a leak.
But, you never know. Since you live in the area, why not run over and take a look? If you aren't comfortable, maybe you can find an inspector from the forums to go with you? There are a number of folks here who do that as a service, good luck.

And welcome to the forums!

Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings CB!

From the photos, I can verify that, at some point, the exterior has been repainted. The color leans more toward RV white than the Argosy beige that was utilized in 1978 (this isn't a problem, just something to be aware of) -- originally, the tongue, banana wraps, and rear bumper would have been painted a highly metallic copper. The interior appears to be nicely preserved. Provided the coach checks-out in regard to lack of rot from leaks and the appliances can be verified to be working as stated in the ad, the coach is priced within the ball-park (IMHO).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: The coach's dining table is what is referred to as a "Credenza Table" -- it folds into a small cabinet to the right of the door as you enter the coach.
AIR #827
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Hello all! Well C.B. I hate to burst your bubble, but we bought it a few weeks ago. I don't know why that guy didn't remove the ad. We did not pay what he was asking, but think we got a pretty good deal. Some things he said were B.S., but the leak issue seems to be true. There's been a small leak from a window by the side gaucho, but it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little caulk.
Good luck finding another one and when you do, let's go camping!
Beth & Chris in Atlanta

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
ISomething to be aware of with these 6.7 Metre coaches is that there is a slim chance that you may encounter one with the composite aluminum floors -- there weren't many 6.7 Metres built with this feature but there have been a few that have been found.
Kevin, what do you mean "be aware" of the composite aluminum floors? Good/bad, etc.??? FYI - this unit has the aluminum floor and we're trying to figure out how to level them a little. We looked at the forum link ya'll did earlier on that subject. Any suggestions?
Beth

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Beth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAKAMPERS View Post
Kevin, what do you mean "be aware" of the composite aluminum floors? Good/bad, etc.??? FYI - this unit has the aluminum floor and we're trying to figure out how to level them a little. We looked at the forum link ya'll did earlier on that subject. Any suggestions?
Beth
The composite aluminum floors are great as long as you are aware that they are there as they do impact the selection of floor coverings. One of the reasons for the thicker carpet pad and the thick shag that was original in the Minuet was that it was needed to disguise and hide the rivets that attach the composite panels to the coach's frame. There are really only two solutions -- go back with pad and carpet -- or go with a laminate flooring and add something like Armstrong's Quiet Step Underlayment. My 6.0 Metre Minuet has the composite aluminum floors, and the Armstrong Laminate floor covering with the thickest available Quiet Step Underlayment have worked out beautifully -- this coming season will the fifth since the interior was refurbished.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 02-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Beth, not a problem. It's still a bit early in my plan to make a move on something like this, but if it was a good deal and checked out as adequate, I might have gone for it. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Are you familiar with the May 15-17 rally in north Georgia? Check the site calendar. I'm not an RV owner of any type, but plan to be. Airstreaming is a real possibility and at this point I figure to make a day trip there on the Saturday. Mayhap I'll see you there. I would love to see your coach.

-CB-
Old 02-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Beth!
The composite aluminum floors are great as long as you are aware that they are there as they do impact the selection of floor coverings. One of the reasons for the thicker carpet pad and the thick shag that was original in the Minuet was that it was needed to disguise and hide the rivets that attach the composite panels to the coach's frame. There are really only two solutions -- go back with pad and carpet -- or go with a laminate flooring and add somet
hing like Armstrong's Quiet Step Underlayment. My 6.0 Metre Minuet has the composite aluminum floors, and the Armstrong Laminate floor covering with the thickest available Quiet Step Underlayment have worked out beautifully -- this coming season will the fifth since the interior was refurbished.

Kevin
Kevin, I looked back over our thread discussion on these floors right after we bought the Minuet 2 weeks ago. We were actually at Home Depot last night and were going to look at the floors you had recommended, but couldn't think of "quiet step" but we'll look later - other things to do on the trailer in the meantime.
Thanks again.

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Kevin...some time ago you stated this about the 78 minuet: "originally, the tongue, banana wraps, and rear bumper would have been painted a highly metallic copper"...
Is this true of the '79 6.0? I have never seen any of the original pictures in old ads that show other than the same color of the unit in total. My '79 was, as common, manufactured in '78. I would appreciate your thinking. Thanks a lot, Dan

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Look at Vintage Airstream Photo Archives for pictures of '79 Minuets. None seem to have the bronze lower painted areas, though most may well have been painted since new.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
The copper color referred to on Argosys is only on the very bottom and may not be consistent on 79s. I attached a pic of our 77 during an axle upgrade a few years ago and you can see the sections that were really dark copperish.

The sales literature here shows a picture of an Argosy with banana wraps that are the same color as the body
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minuet banana color.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	76431  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Out-of-Doors Mart can fax or e mail you a list of all paint color charts for trailers and motor homes of the Argosy years. It is a helpful guide when restoring the Argosy trailer.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Colors

Greetings Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campman View Post
Kevin...some time ago you stated this about the 78 minuet: "originally, the tongue, banana wraps, and rear bumper would have been painted a highly metallic copper"...
Is this true of the '79 6.0? I have never seen any of the original pictures in old ads that show other than the same color of the unit in total. My '79 was, as common, manufactured in '78. I would appreciate your thinking. Thanks a lot, Dan
Argosy departed from what had been their practice in exterior color schemes. They added the belt-line stripes that were color coordintaed to the interior -- Orange/Rust, Green, or Blue. With this chnage the rest of the coach became a solid color. The on issue that I don't know the answer for is the color of the vinyl inserts on the coaches with the Green striping.

My understanding is that the highly metallic Orange/Copper lower trim color was used only in 1978. I was told the first time that I tried to get the color matched that the paint contained lead and would be difficult to match with current paints. Now, the Chevrolet Colorado pickups have a very close match to the 1978 Orange/Copper.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Here is the repaint on our 78.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00365.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	76445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00368.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	76446  

Name:	DSC00369.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	76447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00384.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	76448  

Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy Colors

Greetings Juel!

Your post jogged my memory and I went back and double-checked my literature -- my comments apply only to the 1978 and 1979 Minuets -- the standard coaches had a slightly different interpretation particularly in 1978. The 1978 standard series coaches can be clearly seen in the scan below:

The 1978 Minuet color treatment can be seen in the scan below:

The 1979 Argosy standard coach paint scheme can be seen in the scan below:

The 1979 Minuet paint treatment can be seen in the scan below:

This raised another question for me. I know that the paint striping on the 1979 Minuets was color keyed to the interior chosen, but I am not certain about in the standard Argosy series.

I focus so much on the Minuets that I forget that there were a number of such differences between the two series.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Today in Athens

Saw these today in Athens. The Argosy is really cool inside! The way the front window wraps around is amazing. Its not bad inside I really like the way the cabinet doors work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Athens AS 001.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	76451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Athens AS 002.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	76452  

https://55flyingcloud7909.blogspot.com
slvrlng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Argosy and Argosy Minuets

Kevin, Were Argosy standard trailers and the Minuets made for the same time frames (years)? What were the Mfg years for each? I know where there are at least two of these trailers but I don't know the years of mfg or much else about them. Would the exterior markings say Minuet vs. Argosy? The trailers I have located have all been sitting unmoved for at least 10 years in a storage lot. There are a few Airstreams in the lot too! Only one of them ever seems to be used. I really need to get out there again and check them out closer. I know that one of the coaches say Argosy 24 on the side to the right of the cabin door. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Argosy vs Minuet

Greetings Ed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Kevin, Were Argosy standard trailers and the Minuets made for the same time frames (years)? What were the Mfg years for each?
The standard first generation Argosy travel trailers were produced from 1972 through 1979. The Argosy Minuets were produced from 1977 through 1979. The Argosy 20 was discontinued during the Minuet run in 1978. The Argosy 20 and Argosy 24 were also apparently discontinued sometime in the 1978 model year allowing the Minuets to have that niche in the market to themselves.

Quote:
I know where there are at least two of these trailers but I don't know the years of mfg or much else about them.
The model year is relatively easy to identify if the VIN plaque is still on the front of the coach -- lower right quadrant almost behind the LP tanks. The VIN decodes as follows:

20D8V####

20 = Coach Length in Feet
D (or) T = Main Sleeping Accommodation -- D=Double == T=Twin
8 = Last Digit of Model Year
V (or) S = Plant of Manufacture -- V=Versailles, OH -- S=Cerritos, CA
#### = Sequential Production Number

The 6.0 Metre Minuets were registered as 20s; the 6.7 Metre Minuets were registered as 22s; and the 7.3 Metres were registered as 24s.

Quote:
Would the exterior markings say Minuet vs. Argosy? The trailers I have located have all been sitting unmoved for at least 10 years in a storage lot.
The Minuets carry a badge on each side of the coach. I believe that this was consistent for all three model years. It is a rectangular casting in the belt-line trim strip. If you have access to the interior, the width across the floor should be 7' if the coach is an unmarked Minuet.

Quote:
There are a few Airstreams in the lot too! Only one of them ever seems to be used. I really need to get out there again and check them out closer. I know that one of the coaches say Argosy 24 on the side to the right of the cabin door. Ed
The Argosy 24 definitely identifies that coach as a standard line as the Minuets always, at least to my knowledge, were maked using their metric lengths.

An Argosy 22 and a Minuet 6.7 Metre would be easy to separate by physical appearance -- the Argosy 22 was tandem axle while the Minet 6.7 was single axle.

Kevin
AIR #827