Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Took the Plunge!

Just bought a 1972 Argosy 20'!!!

The PO had completed a frame off restoration of the sub floor, coated new plywood in marine grade fiberglass rosin and installed all new plumbing and a new water heater. He ditched the furnace which isn't that big of a deal here in TX. He had researched it and found it was one of the death trap models. He did ALOT of work on it, and I can tell it was cared for, so I feel lucky to have it. Of course it needs a bit more.... the window seals are rotten and the original cushions have got to go so at least I can sit in the driveway and marvel at my purchase. The stove isn't hooked up. I'm worried about the fridge leaking amonnia and various other safety issues like um, say the axle before taking it on the road. The Airstream dealer here quoted 577 to do an all-points inspection. Think that is a fair price? Seems like a lot to me! The PO already did the pressure testing on the plumbing.

Also I really would like to plug the unit in our outdoor outlet which is 15Amp from what I've read on the forums. The owner's manual says "The Argosy Univolt System enables you to use the lights and appliances....hooked up to 120V city power." I've seen alot of talk about the fact a 30Amp outlet is needed to safely operate the AC but the plug that is in the rear bumper storage compartment looks like a regular 3-prong to me?!? I'm scared to use the A/C and that IS something I need in TX to enjoy the Argosy in the driveway. I most likely would only be using the lights or a laptop aside from AC(not fridge or stove).
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!
Kathy
shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
30 Amp Breaker

I had an AC guy look at the Argosy while servicing my home unit. Our breaker box is full so he said I would need a new small breaker box with 30 Amp breaker to plug into....Thoughts on this or any of the above?
Have a great weekend!
KStone
Old 05-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I had our '97 Excella parked in our driveway for a few weeks when we first got it. (She needed quite a bit of work before the first outing) I plugged the power cord into a heavy duty extension cord and then into an outlet in the garage. I believe that circuit is on a 15amp breaker. It only tripped once when the A/C, Refrigerator, and lights were on in the trailer and I then tried to use my shop vac! I went in the house, reset the breaker and just didn't run the shop vac and A/C at the same time.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Kathy,

A separate 30 amp service is typical and you'll need it if you intend to use the AC. You can get by with less and many do, but its not a good idea IMHO. We have friends that offer courtesy parking and they have a 30 amp box by the shop similar to the ones we plug into at the campground.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Here are some informative threads on the subject of service supply and the effects of voltage drop..

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1815292

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Any thoughts on the $577 check at the Airstream dealer? I was thinking about opting for an hourly rate and choosing certain items for checking along with getting the wheel bearings repacked(at which time they can apparently check out the axle). Fridge leaking ammonia and general leaks would be first on my list. What else is imperative to check out as far as safety goes?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
Any thoughts on the $577 check at the Airstream dealer? What else is imperative to check out as far as safety goes?

That depends on the services provided in an "All Points Inspection". Did the dealer give you an itemized list of what $577 gets you?

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
First, welcome to the club! Argosy's are wonderful trailers, I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun use out of it. Wow, $577 can go to a lot of repair, I'd hold off if I were you. I really didn't get too much out our inspection when I got it, but learned much more from others here and at forum rally's. Some thoughts

1) Axle - probably should consider it "needing replacement soon" if it's at all original. It probably has frozen in place by now because of age.. you can go to Inland RV's site and see how to inspect your axle angle.. you want the little arms pointing down. That said, they may be pointing down, but frozen in place. But DON"T be scared. You can still use your trailer, just keep in mind that it will ride slightly firmer. The shell likes a soft ride, but honestly, I have TWO axles (well 3 if you count my '63) to replace, and I STILL have to replace the ones on the Argosy (we've used it for 6 years this way).

2) Bearings.. just have them repacked. You can go to ANY trailer service place.. heck, try finding a farm shop in Texas, it'll probably be cheaper than in the city. You might want to search the treads to see who in TX like the service they got and from whom.

3) The fridge.. if you don't smell ammonia, and don't see yellow powder on the back coils from the access panel on the outside of the trailer, plug the trailer to 110 V and see if it gets cold OVERNIGHT. It won't cool as fast as your home fridge. Then fire it up on propane and see if that works.

4) 30 amp.. if you want your AC, then you want a 30 amp. Your pigtail probably has an adapter on it if it doesn't look like a large three bladed dryer plug (which it ISN"T so don't plug it in there). You can pull off the adapter and see the 30 amp plug. Go ahead and plug in to 15amp to use your other stuff though, and see if the converter is working to charge the battery.

5) You might want to see in the "willing inspectors" part of this forum who might be close to you. They can help walk you through your systems for free (although I might treat someone to dinner though.. )

6) Enjoy! Sounds like a nice trailer. Got pics?
Marc

3)
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Bought 30 amp enclosed box at Lowe's $24.95. Electrician installed with breaker $100.00.
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
ChasMorgan,
Do you mind sharing your electrician via PM since we both live in Austin?
Thanks!
KStone
Old 05-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Campbellsville , Kentucky
Congratulations on your purchase! Sounds wonderful. $500 for an inspection seems a bit pricey to me, but I could be biased, and I know I'm thrifty. Hubby also thought that was a bit high.

I'm up in Pflugerville and we just bought an 87 Argosy 33F with the kitchen in the front and have been discovering things right and left that the dealer either didn't know about or didn't bother to mention. Lucky for me, my husband used to repair RVs for a living, so he's pretty knowledgeable about what to look for. However ... even he was surprised to find coffee beans in the blackwater tank. POUNDS and POUNDS of coffee beans. After 3 "shake down" cruises and flushing tanks on each trip, we are STILL finding coffee beans.

Hope you get your electric issue resolved soon and inexpensively.

Congrats again!

87 Argosy 33 F since April 2010
CCGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Don't remember which Electrician I used but any reputable firm can handle this project. Here's pictures of my installation. The outlet is directly under my breaker box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Airstream 129.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	102246   Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Airstream 128.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	102247  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Airstream 127.jpg