Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Tires and batteries...which to buy?

Our new-to-us '78 Argosy Minuet, 6 metre (20'), needs new tires and battery. We've replaced these before on our 30' Classic, a much heavier girl calling for heavy duty accessories, but what does this petite little Minuet need? Thanks in advance for your recommendations for both tire (make, rating) and battery. We trust forum advice ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Our new-to-us '78 Argosy Minuet, 6 metre (20'), needs new tires and battery. We've replaced these before on our 30' Classic, a much heavier girl calling for heavy duty accessories, but what does this petite little Minuet need? Thanks in advance for your recommendations for both tire (make, rating) and battery. We trust forum advice ~G
Believe it or not, it takes the same size tires and batteries, just less of them.
Since the Minuet only has two tires, the ones you put on should be load range D, and a single group 27 battery instead of a pair of them.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Terry, talk about great forum help...I had no more than edited our signature when you answered for us I love your response...same stuff, just less. We're gonna love this little trailer! Do brands matter here? ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My 22' trailer only needs "C" rated tires per the manual, weight of the trailer and weight rating of the tire. There isn't that much weight to be concerned with a heavier tire. D rated tires will cost you more anyway.
My trailer only has room enough for a Group 24 size battery. I would assume the Minuet is along these same lines.

On edit: I see you have single axle trailer. You probably need the heavier D rated tires as Terry suggested.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Georgia!

The Minuet has a smaller batter compartment and even the Group 24 is a tight fit. My Minuet still has an older style Univolt so I generally buy the least expensive RV/Marine battery from Walmart - - I anticipate no more than a year from a battery as the older style Univotl has a terrible tendency to boil the battery's electrolyte.

I have run ST225 75 R15 load range C tires on my Minuet since acquiring it from its original owner. This arrangement has worked well for me. The one thing that I would suggest is to be certain that the tire store installs new steel valve stems.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I have run ST225 75 R15 load range C tires on my Minuet since acquiring it from its original owner. This arrangement has worked well for me. The one thing that I would suggest is to be certain that the tire store installs new steel valve stems.
Kevin, I was wondering if you had anything like an owner's manual for your Minuet, or just the factory literature on it? It would be very useful in the future if you did, we could go by that rather than using Airstream specs.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks, Kevin and Crispyboy, for your experience and info! Okay, so we next need to check the vintage of the Univolt to see if it's one of the burn-em-up old ones or if it's been replaced and is newer. We will need an owner's manual, as Terry discusses above, so wondering how/where to get a copy of one, since I suppose it's impossible to get a real one that has survived for decades. Thanks again, to all. We have to so much to learn again! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Terry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Kevin, I was wondering if you had anything like an owner's manual for your Minuet, or just the factory literature on it? It would be very useful in the future if you did, we could go by that rather than using Airstream specs.
Yes, I have both the 1978 and 1979 Minuet owners' manuals as well as original sales brochures for both years.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Georgia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Thanks, Kevin and Crispyboy, for your experience and info! Okay, so we next need to check the vintage of the Univolt to see if it's one of the burn-em-up old ones or if it's been replaced and is newer. We will need an owner's manual, as Terry discusses above, so wondering how/where to get a copy of one, since I suppose it's impossible to get a real one that has survived for decades. Thanks again, to all. We have to so much to learn again! ~G
You may get a surprise in regard to the original owners' manuals. I have seen several NOS 1978 owners' manuals offered on e-bay - - in fact, I purchased one to keep in my display of Argosy literature - - it is still in its orginal cellophane wrapper. Even if an NOS or good used original manual doesn't show up, Airstream does off reprints of Argosy manuals at this link.

Good luck with your Minuet - - I am sure that you will enjoy its easy-tow characteristics!

Kevin
AIR #827