Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
Tires

I finally have our 73 Argosy to the point that it's usable now. Most things inside has been repaired or replaced as has been everything on the roof. The outside will be taken care of in the fall. Now we are ready for new tires. The tires are 700-15 bias ply and I was wondering if I should or could replace them with radials and what size they should be. I appreciate any help
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I finally have our 73 Argosy to the point that it's usable now. Most things inside has been repaired or replaced as has been everything on the roof. The outside will be taken care of in the fall. Now we are ready for new tires. The tires are 700-15 bias ply and I was wondering if I should or could replace them with radials and what size they should be. I appreciate any help
There's a lot of talk on the forums about LT tires vs ST tires. First, you definitely need to get rid of the old bias ply tires and go to radials. Second, determine what load range you need, then jump down the rabbit hole and explore LT or ST. Based on your current tire, i think youll either need to go to an ST tire or go up in size to a 235 to get into a decent LT, but that may not fit on your trailer. I just bought a new spare for my 20'. It's an ST205/75R15. The old tire was a 700-15 bias ply like yours. After a LOT of research I decided to stick with the ST rated tires. Whatever you decide, I would definitely recommend high pressure (metal) valve stems.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I personally like the 7.00x15 bias plys, that's all I'll run on all my vintage trailer. Nice stiff sidewalls for less trailer roll, if the blow out the don't become a chainsaw down the side of your trailer causing lots of damage, etc....

Just put four on a 1974 Overlander and getting ready to replace a set I have on a 1966 Overlander that's been on there for about 10 years with many, many miles on them.

Enjoy,
Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I personally like the 7.00x15 bias plys, that's all I'll run on all my vintage trailer. Nice stiff sidewalls for less trailer roll, if the blow out the don't become a chainsaw down the side of your trailer causing lots of damage, etc....

Just put four on a 1974 Overlander and getting ready to replace a set I have on a 1966 Overlander that's been on there for about 10 years with many, many miles on them.

Enjoy,
I also just bought a spare and after checking what was already on it, I added another ST205/75r15 on a white spoked wheel.

I broker classic, vintage & collector cars and I can understand wanting to keep the vehicle original, but sometimes newer IS better.
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Shepherdsville , Kentucky
I went to a national brand tire store and told the man behind the counter I wanted to get a price on 4 7.00/15's. He looked at me and said "what size is the tire, I never heard of that". I then went to a distributor and he explained the pros and cons of bias and radials and I went with 225/75r 15's.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
In Canada, different provinces have different regulations. in British Columbia you MUST have ST tires.

Alberta and Saskatchewan does not have any regulation on tires, and after traveling behind many a suspicious rig with what looks like wheel barrow tires, you realize the importance of legislation.

I guess make sure your tires adhere to legal standards for all areas you intend to haul through.
janel.p
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janel.P View Post
In Canada, different provinces have different regulations. in British Columbia you MUST have ST tires. ...
Am I correct in assuming this is ST vs bias ply tires? Does BC have a problem with LT tires on a trailer?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Wherever the registration and title is issued is also where the rules apply to that unit for tires or whatever. One can not be expected to be changing tires at every border.

I would inquire as to the qualifications of the government personnel that specify "ST" tires in this day and age when much better built tires are available.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
to the best of my knowledge, BC has to be ST tires. I passed one tent trailer where they were getting fined (unhooking and heading to tire shop), the tires looked very small and wimpy. that's the most picky area we have hauled yet, so have tires to comply with regulations.
I don't think they make it a habbit of checking everyone hauling through the province, but if things look kinda suspicious or too wiggley on the road they will stop you.
but really now, an airstream so dazzles most people and you could be smuggeling contraband cheese in the wheel wells, and a zebra in the bath without raising suspicion.
janel.p
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That sure sounds like a shake down to me. I bet some local politicians feather their nest every month with kickbacks....

Installing better tires than the sub standard "ST" tires with greater weight capacity and also installed by the factory as an option would be a logical explanation to tell them to pound sand.

That kind of behavior could generate an international incident if a non-Canadian unit were stopped. Or perhaps they do not want tourism revenue in that province?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
This is all I could find regarding BC.
7 Things You Need to Know Right Now about Towing a Recreational Trailer in BC | TranBC
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/referen...info_sheet.pdf
I did look up some legislation and it was only to say the tires had to conform to the GVWR or GAWR (of the trailer)
I cannot see them stopping folks over ST or LT tires (just my opinion), but certainly for other reasons (sway comes to mind) and then the inspection would reveal tire issues if there were any.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Our 28' Argosy has LT tires. True or not, but we were told that ST tires are more subject to sway and harder on the shock absorbers as a softer ( more like vehicle) tires.
28Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
We just put Michelin LTX 235/75R15 M/S2 on our 24ft Argosy. Can Am did the work for us. They look great.

We are looking forward to some long road trips next year. Safe and sound.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I like jelly donuts.
Cream is inferior by any standard other than my own.

Rave-on...

Bob