Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2002, 02:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Texas Minuet

Maybe if I am at all lucky there will be a pic attached to this!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0004.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	953  
Old 12-02-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Shiny!!!!

Good for you Chas
The Texas Minuet is lookin fabulous... of course I, for one, am not going to let you get by with JUST ONE picture!!!Ya gotta do better than that here, boy

Have you had time to catch up on all the posting for Argosies? We are getting to be quite a little group. I would like to know more about your owner manual. We finally got a copy titled 1978 Argosy Owner Manual from Helen Davis and I would like to compare notes, since you have an original manual to go with the 6.7 metre. OK??? Can do?? Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Leigh,
Old 12-02-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
The other side

Again, Leigh,

I will get more, it was hard enough for me to figure how to get these up so I will rest now. I don't have any paper on my Minuet besides the title, bought it on a consignment lot and all I can gather is that a couple of yuppie/ex- hippies had it before me, at least that is what the bubba trailer sales guy told me.

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0005.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	954  
Old 12-03-2002, 11:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Love it!

I love the silver paint! Did you have it done, or did the PO do it? I can't tell if you have a rockguard in front or is it all tinting on all the glass. It sure is sharp looking! Does it get dark inside, or can you tell?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Marc,

I wish I had taken some before pics as it was a pitiful sight when I first got it. It was the original beige but faded and had some rust on the steel roof ends. I prepped and painted it in my driveway using a $200 HVLP gun and some automotive acrylic urethane. My neighbors handled it pretty well, as long as your not a slob and get it done quick they don't seem to mind. Yes, it has a bit of orange peel and a little tiger striping but all in all I am happy with it. I got about $500 in materials in it and untold hours of labor, replaced all the lites and the trim inserts as well. The a/c is a new Coleman Mach and also put a new boosted Winegard as well. I am thinking of repainting it next year in an off-white as the heat buildup in the summer may be a concern, or might do a wide white "skunk stripe" down the roof if it don't look too weird.

Chas
Old 12-03-2002, 02:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
And,

The front glass is tinted, ( the tint guy was a friend of my brother,
or else he would have sent me down the road) it was one of the toughest curve he had ever done. I disassembled the side windows, drilled out the rivets, separated the frame pieces and replaced the plastic. ( the Minuets have plastic side windows, why, I have no idea) This was definitely a job not for the faint of heart, but saved a ton of money. I took the old cracked up plastic to the local plastic dealer and he cut new ones from tinted stock for $150, and then I had to put them back together with S.S. locking nuts and screws and put on new weatherstripping.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Chas

I hope you bering your little gem to our vintage get together in late January. I would love to see it.

Everyone welcome, WBCCI member or not.

http://irwin.home.texas.net/HLU-VW.html
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Pahaska,

I remember seeing something about an event out by the lake, I would like to make it just not sure about where to park or camp if I wanted to? Guess I need to know more?

Also, let's hope for a good 70 degree Jan. weekend!! I'll probably settle for 60 degrees and no rain though.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:22 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Chas

Take a look at this link to my web page. It gives all the particulars. You can (dry) camp at the event (possibbly with limited ellectric) or at a RV park 2 miles away. I'm going to take my new International for folks who haven't seen one yet.

http://irwin.home.texas.net/HLU-VW.html
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
?????

Chas - I am confused... I thought all the windows on the Argosies were of the same material. My husband called it Lexan and said they use it on airplane cockpits? We have been somewhat concerned about the front windows (hence our interest in the rock guard thread), because Colorado roads are notorious for debris and those front windows are expensive to replace!!, but Price does say it would take alot to break them. Does this mean that the side windows are a different material? That would be something to be aware of if in need of replacement. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Hi Chas, Great trailer! I like what you have done with the windows. The tint really sets it off.

My side windows are plastic too. I think it is called Acrylite, and there is an additional designation that says it is hardened on both sides.

Good job on getting the awnings.

It is too cold to work on the outside of my trailer in MT right now, but I would be interested in hearing more about your paint job. I'm working on the inside of my 20 footer. It is great that a little 800 watt space heater can keep it warm enough.

Leigh, some Argosy windows where all glass from what I have heard. Inland Andy could help you out. I don't have any statistics on it. My side windows are very clear, and I did not realize they where plastic untill I pressed on one. I actually like the light weight of the Acrylite. It makes the window easier to open. The front curved and centered windows are tempered glass. Strong stuff it is. Like in your shower door. I see where mine has endured many rock chips. I'm still working on a cheap rock guard cover.
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Leigh,
I stopped and talked to a guy up the road who had a 73 model 22' Argosy ( not a Minuet, it was larger and had dual axles) and his side windows were glass. The stuff my old windows was made of was breakable so I don't think it was Lexan. I would't worry too much about breaking one of your front radius windows, it would take a lot to break one, they are pretty strong especially with the curve which gives them more strength. Just get a bigger tow vehicle so it will act as a shield!!
Old 12-03-2002, 07:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Great paint job!

Chas, have you painted before? The job looks awesome! I think my Argosy (26ft) has glass side windows, but now I have to go press on them and check! I'm debating painting vs. stripping to alunimum and painting the endcaps silver to semi-match. You have great inspiration for my exterior.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
paint or strip

I have painted a few cars over the years and seem to be getting better at it. My Minuet probably looksa little better in the photo than it does in person. Metallics can be tricky to apply. For a first timer I recommend a non-metallic paint, so you probably would want to stick with a solid color like the original Argosy finishes. In regards to painting vs. stripping, it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I love the polished A/S look, just think it is too high maint, painting is low maint but it is hard to fully replicate the polished look. I had been casually looking for an A/S in the 25 to 27 foot range but was stopped cold in my tracks after seeing a 91 model with a serious case of clearcoat peel, after seeing that I guess I really started to appreciate the painted Argosy.