Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Temporary Tires for the Argosy Minuet

I want to take me some used tires to put on the minuet to bring it home. I found some used 235/75R-15 tires. Do you think these tires will go in the wheel wells of the minuet OK? I know it takes 225/75R-15 but these are only i size larger and I have found 4 of these 235s. Its only a 60 mile trip. Will they go on it OK?
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Not sure...

On my Argosy, there is "some" room between the skin and the tires, but not much. The 235's will be taller and wider. What wheels are they mounted on? If you have to mount them on the existing rims, I'd save the mounting fee and get new ones now.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
On my Argosy, there is "some" room between the skin and the tires, but not much. The 235's will be taller and wider. What wheels are they mounted on? If you have to mount them on the existing rims, I'd save the mounting fee and get new ones now.
Marc
What size are your tires?
mtnman
Old 12-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'd try to gst the right tires. If you are going to go to the expense of getting your trailer roadworthy enough to tow home, you may as well buy once, and be done with it for 5 years or so.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
They'll fit

They should work. Especially if you are only going 60 miles. Save the cost of new tires now, especially if you aren't moving it much once you get it. How bad are the tires that are on it? How long has it been sitting? Bearings? We towed a Vagabond, albeit only 3.5 miles, on it's 60+year old BF Goodrichs, and only on two of the 4.

Good luck.

Rob

Let us know what you do!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Here is a pic of the tires on the coach. It has been sitting 10 years. Would you drive it 60 miles on 4 of these? I have thought about it. I really need to work on the the wheels before I put new tires on it. I have 4 tires I can put on it, but they are the 235s not 225s. I just want to get the coach home so I can start work on it. Once I get it to my garage I can get going on it. It may be early spring before I get it road worthy, at least Feb.
mtnman
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
tires...

I have Goodyear Marathons 225/75/15's.... I've seen 235's on a full size G20 van, they're a LOT wider than my 225's. Again, what rim are they mounted on. If they're on a 15x8" rim (or even a 15x7) that will pump them outwards a bit. Stock rims were 15x6.5. \

Tire pressure - there are opinions either way, but I'll use what is recommended by the tire manufacter's. Go to Goodyear's web site - they have inflation/load tables. You'll have less sway, greater load capacity close to max pressure (printed on the tire).

Blowouts - those tires in the pics look toast. One could tow at slow speeds, but at highway speeds (even 55), you'll run the risk of some serious aluminum damage with the thread cap thrashing around ($$ more money then a set of tires).
Marc
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
oops...

didn't read the above thread. If you have close access to the trailer, you could see how much space you have between the tire and the skin. You could also check between the tire and the shock. I don't think the 235's will fit. Statically, they might fit with a hair of room, but remember the sidewalls flex out with bumps as the tire compresses to absorb the load.

Are you traveling side roads or on a highway. If you can limit your speed to 40 and under, I MIGHT chance the old tires (if you must) but you didn't hear this from me! (legal disclaimer - I wouldn't). I'd have someone follow you to check the tires as you drive. Pump them up so they don't flex too much.

If you're jacking up the trailer yourself, put your jack on the plate between the tires that the shock mounts to. My tire place was able to put their floor jack right on that spot and have it up in 10 seconds.

As an aside - check the trailer wiring harness that plugs into your tow vehicle. It may have the old airstream round plug. Modern plugs have spades, the old one will have circle posts (not spades).

Airstream.com has a wiring diagram in their technical FAQ section if you need to rewire your new trailers'

Do you have a weight distribution set up on it?
Marc
Old 12-02-2005, 06:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
didn't read the above thread. If you have close access to the trailer, you could see how much space you have between the tire and the skin. You could also check between the tire and the shock. I don't think the 235's will fit. Statically, they might fit with a hair of room, but remember the sidewalls flex out with bumps as the tire compresses to absorb the load.

Are you traveling side roads or on a highway. If you can limit your speed to 40 and under, I MIGHT chance the old tires (if you must) but you didn't hear this from me! (legal disclaimer - I wouldn't). I'd have someone follow you to check the tires as you drive. Pump them up so they don't flex too much.

If you're jacking up the trailer yourself, put your jack on the plate between the tires that the shock mounts to. My tire place was able to put their floor jack right on that spot and have it up in 10 seconds.

As an aside - check the trailer wiring harness that plugs into your tow vehicle. It may have the old airstream round plug. Modern plugs have spades, the old one will have circle posts (not spades).

Airstream.com has a wiring diagram in their technical FAQ section if you need to rewire your new trailers'

Do you have a weight distribution set up on it?
Marc
3Ms75argosy,
You are thinking right with me!! You answered my question about where to jack before I got ask it! What do you mean about weight distribution, the coach is empty right now? Are you talking about when I put my personal items in it after it is repaired or are you talking about the remoldeling items?
mtnman
Old 12-02-2005, 06:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
What are my tire choices? Do I need to get the ST tires or will regular car tires be OK on a minuet? I have read some of the post here about tires. What do you guys think about reg auto tires for a Minuet?
mtnman
Old 12-02-2005, 07:01 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The label on the side of the coach calls for 700X15 tires and 35psi.
mtnman
Old 12-02-2005, 07:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
What are my tire choices? Do I need to get the ST tires or will regular car tires be OK on a minuet? I have read some of the post here about tires. What do you guys think about reg auto tires for a Minuet?
mtnman
I know the size needs to be 225 I just wanted to see what you think about regular tires for the minuet?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Probably more than you want to know, but....

I'm sure others will chime in, but in overview.....
1) There's been LOTS of debate over tire choice between ST (special trailer tire) and LT(truck tire). DO NOT USE "P225's" as this is a passenger tire. Both the ST and the LT are made for heavier loads. You can do a search on LT tires on the forums and bring up the past debates. Make sure your ST tires are at least load range C or D. Have your installer put truck tire stems in (vs. car stems) as there have been cases of car stems blowing out (LT and ST tires take higher PSI). I use the ST Goodyear Marathons. I know Bob Thompson has LT BFG tires on his 25ft Airstream. P metric passenger tires do not have the weight rating that trailer tires have, plus they have softer sidewalls that allow more sway of the trailer. Just say "no."

2) "why is the psi lower for the 700x15's?" These were bias ply tires with stiffer sidewalls (I am assuming) and needed the lower pressure to survive. Modern radials can take (if designed for it) higher psi by design. Again, go by the tire, not what's printed on the trailer.

3) Weight distrubution - again a search would be good. A WD hitch is a system that takes the trailer weight that goes through the trailer tongue (and pushes down on the rear of your tow vehicle) and distrubutes it back to your front tires, lifting up the rear of the tow vehicle to close to level. It increases control as your front wheels are not lightened by the trailer load. Friction sway control keeps the trailer from swaying side / side with cross winds and trucks going by. A weight distrubution set up on your trailer looks like a set of bars that are connected by chains to the trailer A frame and connect under the trailer ball on the hitch.

Good luck! (check that electrical connection too! You need it to operate your trailer brakes. You also need an electric brake controller in your truck if you don't have one already to operate those brakes).
Marc
Old 12-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OK I know what you are talking about now!!! I always called it an equalizer hitch. Yes, he has the WD hitch for it. I hope it has a height adjuster for the ball, I know my truck is highier than the van he towed with.

3Ms75argosy, I do need some help with that Trailer wire connector site. I cannot find it. If you cold find it and place the link on here I would appreciate it. I think the plug on the coach has been changed and updated and will work ok, but I want to be prepared when I go to get it. I can always run to a Walmart and get the plug but I want the right directions for wiring it up with me when I go. (I do have a brake controller in my truck.)
Thanks,
mtnman
Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I think I know how to get my coach home! I just need a little help here. I have a new equipment trailer with new tires. Its a dual axel with
ST225/75D 15 8ply tires with 65psi. They are 5 lug Wheels.
How many lugs on the Argosy?
Anyone know if they are the same and will fit on the argosy minuet?
Does anyone know what the measurments are?
mtnman
Old 12-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
off by one lug..

the rim is a 15x6.5 (15x7 will do) and 6 lugs on a 5.5" pattern.
Here's the pattern for the pigtail and car end
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
When are you picking it up?
Marc
Old 12-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I was wanting to go get it tomorrow, Sat. I am still trying to decide what to do about the tires since my equipment trailer wheels are 5 lug that option will not work. I found some new trailer tires locally for $54 each, carry out price. I may try and pick them up in the morning and head toward the Coach. The seller found some tires at a tire dealer for $288 put on but I beleive they are too big, he didnt know for sure what size they were. He thinks they will fit but I dont want to get all the way over there and then they may be the wrong size.
mtnman
Old 12-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Go for it!

With those tires, and especially since it is a double axle, I'd go for it, just take it easy. Don't go over 45, and do not fill to max pressure, as the tires heat up they will expand. I'd get er home....
Courtesy parking

Old 12-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
With those tires, and especially since it is a double axle, I'd go for it, just take it easy. Don't go over 45, and do not fill to max pressure, as the tires heat up they will expand. I'd get er home....
robandzoe,
I thought a bunch of time about "going for it". Did you see the pic of the old tire? Its 60 miles, would you still go for it?
mtnman
Old 12-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Yeah, I would

I would. Do you have anyone to follow you, with a little 2 way radio or cell phone? It is a double axle, right? At 45 mph, that would be a 1 hour and 20 minutes. 30 mph, two hours..but you'll have it home to work on it, as obviously, you are not working on it now. Check out my blog, http://sweetsovereign.blogspot.com , like I said, we towed that 46 Vagabond on its original tires 3 miles on just one of the two axles...where are you towing it from and too? If you were near me in NY, I have two good Good year marathons you could borrow. I also picked up a 76 Argosy on very old tires, and once on the Interstate, pulled 55 mph for 200 miles, no problems....on at least tires that had been sitting for 10 plus years...5 months later, pulled it another 100 miles.....I also bought a Trade Wind..it has 4 car tires on them...pulled from Va to NY with no problems. Just stop and check often, feeling the hubs and tires for heat. Good luck...just take it easy. I know of many others that have done the same....

Rob
Courtesy parking