Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

1977 Argosy 28
Stephenville , Texas
So I might get a Argosy

Greetings,
I have been lurking here for a couple of days because my father in law wants to give us his 77 28' Argosy. (I think that's right)

I know nothing about travel trailers, in fact, I have only stayed in one once. So getting in over my head is an understatement. Just what I have learned here in the last couple of days has been helpful.

Here is what I know about it. It was parked 20 yrs ago on his farm last used 10 years ago. Mice, rats, and possibly bigger have crapped all over it. The floors are solid with the exception of near the door and in the back bathroom. The glass is good. He ran power to where it has sat and the lights come on. Since the rodents have decided to squat in it and the floors need to be ripped out anyway. It will need to be gutted and start over.

I have the outdoor space to tear into it. I do the remodeling at our house. Do all the work on my truck and Jeep so I have tools on top of tools (and a new project would justify buying more right?)

Still, it seems a bit overwhelming. I'm going to combat the squatters and see if I can determine how much damage they may have done beyond stinking up the place and make the decision.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5535.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	337665
Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, its a big project, but if you're already a mechanic, nothing you probably can't handle. Argosys and AS are way less complicated (but no less frustrating) than any automotive engine.

The key is breaking it down into individual tasks and goals, then going at it one step at a time. If you're used to working on cars, you'll be familiar with the time and money suction phenomenon. Just double your budget from the get-go, and extend the project deadline by 2 or three times past whatever you think is ridiculous long.

It helps if you really enjoy doing this type of work, have a vision for how it will look and work when finished, and have a desire to go camp and explore places like our national parks, or just want a nice escape pod to get away every now and then. Otherwise, pull the ripcord and bail out now before you start spending serious coin. There are plenty of people who will buy it now as is.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

1977 Argosy 28
Stephenville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Well, its a big project, but if you're already a mechanic, nothing you probably can't handle. Argosys and AS are way less complicated (but no less frustrating) than any automotive engine.

The key is breaking it down into individual tasks and goals, then going at it one step at a time. If you're used to working on cars, you'll be familiar with the time and money suction phenomenon. Just double your budget from the get-go, and extend the project deadline by 2 or three times past whatever you think is ridiculous long.

It helps if you really enjoy doing this type of work, have a vision for how it will look and work when finished, and have a desire to go camp and explore places like our national parks, or just want a nice escape pod to get away every now and then. Otherwise, pull the ripcord and bail out now before you start spending serious coin. There are plenty of people who will buy it now as is.
I do enjoy having a project and this looks like it would keep me busy for a while. We are a couple of years away from an empty nest, my wife retires in 5 years and I'm lucky enough to be able to do my job from anywhere I can grab a cell connection, so the goal would be to do some traveling once she's off the clock.

Time and money. I never have enough of either so I guess that wouldn't change just because of this
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Hi,

I have pretty much the same model as you. Started out just trying to do a refresh but am pretty much gutting and starting over. I've decided there really isn't anything special about 1978 anything so it will get new everything including a different floor plan that will suit my wife and I better than the mid-twin rear bath layout.

I'm also a mechanic so I can confidently say you'll be fine with this project. Just take your time and think things through before you start cutting

This forum is the place to be for advice since there are many who have been there and done that. But, don't be afraid to do things the way you want even if others say you shouldn't. It's your trailer and ultimately it'll need to make you happy.

Involve your spouse as much as you can even if it drives both of you nuts. It'll be worth it when you're out on the road and something isn't quite right to be able to say "we talked about that, didn't we?"

Read, read, and read some more. Almost everything on this site that applies to Airstreams will apply to your trailer, even some of the stuff that doesn't make sense for the same model year for them applies to our trailers since they were test beds for Airstream.

Good luck and remember to wear a mask and gloves

Cheers,

John
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Here's mine when I first got her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	337875  
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #6

1977 Argosy 28
Stephenville , Texas
Guess the title should be changed to "I'm getting an Argosy" My wife and I decided to go for it last night.

We have 2 weddings, graduation and a cruise over the next couple of months so I won't be digging into it until summer but I'm looking forward to it.