Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Seeking repair tips on a '78 Argosy Minuet

Greetings.

The wife and I just bought our first trailer. As noted in the header it is a '78 Argosy Minuet, 20' long.

After the purchase and upon a closer inspection i noticed one of the things needing attention fairly soon was the rubber window sealing strip. It is all stiff and cracked.

Anyone have some ideas on the best way to replace this kind of item? Will a regular adheasive rubber weather stripping work as a repalcement?

Also i was wondering about painting over the original wallpaper interior. 25 years hasnt been kind to the color and appearance of the wall surfacing and i was hoping that a coat of paint would stick, improve the appearance and not cause a monetary depreciation.

The fellow we bought the trailer from was the original owner and is a senior. When asked he couldnt tell me the actual capacity of the black and grey holding tanks. If someone knows of a location i can find this kind of info i would appreciate it. Or if they have the info that would be great too.

Thanks for any and all help and tips.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Info~~!

Howdy and Welcome - It is amazing how many new Argosy owners have come on board since we purchased ours a year ago this month. We have a 6.7 metre (22') named "Mini" and of course, we love her.

As a bit of fun and a "how to" course, I would suggest you go to the forum listed as "All Argosy Trailers" in the model and year section of AS. It has much to offer in the way of history, remodeling to the Argosy, differences found, and other fun and important info.

I can tell you that the PO of our trailer painted the walls of the bath area, and I do not like it. It is already flaking off! It may be the type of paint used, but I would suggest checking with reliable dealer before taking that step. Others chime in!!!

Off the top of my head I know our fresh water tank is 40 gl., our hot water tank is 6 gl., but not sure of grey and black. It probibly says in our owner manual(do you have one), but that is with the trailer far, far away right now. Others chime in??

Hope to hear more from you soon... Later, Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thanks for the reply.

I will look into the paint matter some more and no, we do not have an owner manuel.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Van!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet Ownership!

Quote:
After the purchase and upon a closer inspection i noticed one of the things needing attention fairly soon was the rubber window sealing strip. It is all stiff and cracked.
If you are referring to the gasket between the window itself and the opening in the wall, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace. The gasket material itself should be available from most Airstream dealers, and I am sure that Inland RV should have the 1970s gasket material. My notes indicate that the same procedures are used with the window seals as one would use with the seals on an automobile door.

Quote:
Also i was wondering about painting over the original wallpaper interior. 25 years hasnt been kind to the color and appearance of the wall surfacing and i was hoping that a coat of paint would stick, improve the appearance and not cause a monetary depreciation.
Before taking such a drastic measure, I would suggest it might be worth a thorough cleaning. The interior walls of my coach were quite yellowed when purchased, but are now quite appealing. Mine were professionally cleaned as part of the interior restoration, but I have had good luck cleaning the yellowing off with denatured rubbing alcohol. The only part of the interior where paint was used in the restoration of my coach's interior was on the front interior dome - - it didn't have the "wallpaper" covering, and it did not clean up like the walls did (it was repainted to match the light almond color found in the background of the original wall covering).

Quote:
When asked he couldnt tell me the actual capacity of the black and grey holding tanks.
According to my factory literature and owner's manuals, the Minuet series had 25 (one of my references lists 25 and the other 26) Gallon Fresh Water Tank (Polyethylene), 12 Gallon Blackwater Tank, and 8 Gallon Wash Water Tank. My understanding that the 6.7 and 7.4 Metre Minuets shared one feature with the 6.0 Metre that poses a nuisance - - the shower does not drain to the Wash Water Tank (so "Blue" tank is necessary for the shower water). Both the black and wash water tanks are mounted above the floor on the Minuet. I have attached a photo of the gray or "Wash Water Tank" from my Minuet - - the previous owner removed it and I haven't had the opportunity to have it reinstalled.

Recently when my Minuet (6.0 Metre) was fully loaded for a three-week excursion (LP tanks full, water tank full, holding tanks empty), its gross weight was 3,250 pounds (GVWR is 3,500 pounds) and the hitch weight was 550 pounds.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original gray water tank.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	2766  
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Re:76 Minuet

Welcome to the big family of Argosy owners. This is a great site to get info. We are new too. Just getting started at this ourselves. We have a 78 Argosy Minuet 6.7metre 22'. The manual that we have is very generic, but on p. 84 of 89 pp. it says under capacities:
the toilet holding tank (rear bath) 12 gal.
Holding tank (center bath) 23 gal.
Wash water holding tank (rear bath except Minuet) 10 gal. Center bath wash water 16 gal.
Potable water tank 6 meter Minuet 26 gal.
Water heater 6 gal.

Hope this helps. Elsewhere on these threads you may be able to read one from someone in OH that re-publishes manuals. Can't recall just where we saw that, but if you go through you will find it.
Wallpaper??????????
If we can be of further help with the manual, just let us know.
Larry and Lou
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 PM   #6
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64

If you are referring to the gasket between the window itself and the opening in the wall, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace. The gasket material itself should be available from most Airstream dealers, and I am sure that Inland RV should have the 1970s gasket material. My notes indicate that the same procedures are used with the window seals as one would use with the seals on an automobile door.

I am referring to the rubber strip that is on the window itself. It provides a moisture/weather barrier between the window and trailer.

Quote:
before taking such a drastic measure, I would suggest it might be worth a thorough cleaning. The interior walls of my coach were quite yellowed when purchased, but are now quite appealing. Mine were professionally cleaned as part of the interior restoration, but I have had good luck cleaning the yellowing off with denatured rubbing alcohol. The only part of the interior where paint was used in the restoration of my coach's interior was on the front interior dome - - it didn't have the "wallpaper" covering, and it did not clean up like the walls did (it was repainted to match the light almond color found in the background of the original wall covering).

We are going to give it a thorough cleaning this weekend. I dont know it that will brighten/freshen up 25 years of age/use/etc though.

Thanks for your input Overlander!
Old 08-23-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
yellowing

We have scrubbed with everything known but it has had no effect on the yellowing problem. Needs more research!!!
We have just about decided to leave it and decorate around the two color theme, since ours is a aged yellow that seems to be in vogue right now. LOL
Ours has a badly cracked and broken edge trim that goes between the nose panel and the middle section. We bought new trim to put in there when we get ambitious enough to drill out rivets and replace it. The factory at Jackson Center had the necessary replacement trim, the window rubber weather stripping, and the fuzzy strip that is in by the operating arms on the sides of the windows.
Are we having fun Yet???
Lou
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Try Westlys Bleech white. It's a white wall, rubber and vinyl cleaner and in the automotive section. Haven't tried it on a Airstream but it did wonders with a white convertable Top on a car. Try it in a inconspicuous place and make sure it won't take the print off.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:28 PM   #9

Painting interior of Argosy

We have had a '74 Argosy 28' for a number of years. We have had good luck with Melamine paint on the interior. We had a computer match the colour of our ceiling and painted the yellowed end cap about 4 years ago. It looks great and have not had any peeling or flaking whatsoever. We used a small foam roller to apply the paint to eliminate any brush marks. This year we upgraded the interior again and applied paint to the entire interior walls. My wife did a ragging on effect with a plastic bag and a couple of different shades of the taupe colour she chose. It looks terrific if I don't say so myself!
Phill
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:14 PM   #10
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Sounds great Flip. Have any pics you can show off of it by chance?