Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #1

1975 20' Argosy 20
Portland , Oregon
Replacement exterior vinyl striping

I'm looking for a supplier for the upper vinyl stripping that goes around my'75 Argosy. Any suggetions? thankyou. padraic
Padraic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi again Pat -- You're talking about the orange inserts?

Take a look at Vinyl side strips for '76 26' Argosy and Looking for Beltline. Installation technique is discussed...

If you don't go with Sutton RV I can strongly recommend prices and mail service from Tucson's Oasis RV. Their parts dept does a great job over the phone and they've tended to have this item when others haven't.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Have you called Airstream?

If it is the 1" or 1/2" colored strip around below the windows, Airstream had a number of rolls in different widths and colors at Salem in their mobile parts and service dept... I'd try calling them, though it would have to be ordered through a locla dealer.

If that fails, you might also have luck searching through old threads looking for vinyl or molding or strip...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraic
I'm looking for a supplier for the upper vinyl stripping that goes around my'75 Argosy. Any suggetions? thankyou. padraic
We have that material.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Yes, Andy, but do you have it in orange for the Argosy? I have been told Inland only carries the blue for silver Airstreams, not orange for Argosy Airstreams. Am I wrong?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
Yes, Andy, but do you have it in orange for the Argosy? I have been told Inland only carries the blue for silver Airstreams, not orange for Argosy Airstreams. Am I wrong?
We have had and will have all the different sizes of "orange" belt line and rub rail inserts for the trailers as well as the motorhomes.

Andy
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
From my analysis the material is not vinyl. It is polyethylene, and from my experience with the factory material, it is very poorly stabilized for UV resistance.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
From my analysis the material is not vinyl. It is polyethylene, and from my experience with the factory material, it is very poorly stabilized for UV resistance.
All Airstreams vinyl insert is made with "vinyl."

There is one exception and that is for the narrow blue insert which is made from polyurethane.

This is per Airstream Parts department as of today November 13, 2007.

Andy
Old 11-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Thanks, Andy, for the clarification. Must have picked up some inaccurate info somewhere.

For others looking for the ORANGE...I just got off the phone with Justin of SW Coaches (1-949-551-6179). They also can get both sizes of the orange vinyl insert for the Argosy at a GREAT price as of today, Nov. 13, 2006:

Part #201417 (1/2") Orange beltline is 12 cents/foot.
Part #201418 (1 1/2) Oranges beltline is 29 cents/foot.

Some good prices to compare with other dealers. I think I might give Justin a call. Shipping will be only what it costs for Airstream to ship it to him. Not a bad deal at all!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks, Andy, for the clarification. Must have picked up some inaccurate info somewhere.

Shipping will be only what it costs for Airstream to ship it to him. Not a bad deal at all!
Shipping from Airstream has a "BIG IF."

"If" the dealers cost is less than $100.00 for the shipment, then Airstream has a $10.00 handling charge, "plus" the shipping.

Changes the complexion of things, and true costs, quickly.

Andy
Old 11-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

For others looking for the ORANGE...I just got off the phone with Justin of SW Coaches (1-949-551-6179). They also can get both sizes of the orange vinyl insert for the Argosy at a GREAT price as of today, Nov. 13, 2006:

Part #201417 (1/2") Orange beltline is 12 cents/foot.
Part #201418 (1 1/2) Oranges beltline is 29 cents/foot.

Some good prices to compare with other dealers. I think I might give Justin a call. Shipping will be only what it costs for Airstream to ship it to him. Not a bad deal at all!
Part # 201418 is for rub rail insert for a motorhome, not a trailer.

Andy
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Very true, Andy, as usual.

Be sure the dealer can include your small order of insert in a larger order from Airstream. This takes care of that handling charge from Airstream, leaving you with only the cost of shipping from the dealer to your house. If you live in the same town as that dealer, then no shipping cost at all.

I have a lady in my town who owns a 75 Argosy motorhome. It turns out her rubrail is the same size and configuration as the lower (larger) rubrail on my 75 Argosy trailer. Even though the part number may show "motorhome" the application will most likely work with a trailer. At least, in my case it will. WHEW!

Aren't Airstreams wonderful?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Andy,
Like sierrajb, I'm cornfused. In a post dated 10/2002 you said the "only color available is blue"...

...the only color available is blue and in 50 foot rolls only.
You can find them in our parts sale list of our website (inlandrv.com) as part numbers 70494, 70506 and 70530.

Then, in the post above, you told sierrajb "We have had and will have all the different sizes of "orange" belt line and rub rail inserts for the trailers as well as the motorhomes.

I can see why the confusion. Perhaps you are referring to the blue for silver Airstreams, and the orange for painted Airstreams (Argosy)? Either way, the bottom line (pun intended) is that BOTH colors are out there (same sizes, by the way), but the blue will be much easier to locate than the orange.

My two bits, for what they're worth.
coldbigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbigred
Andy,
Like sierrajb, I'm cornfused. In a post dated 10/2002 you said the "only color available is blue"...

...the only color available is blue and in 50 foot rolls only.
You can find them in our parts sale list of our website (inlandrv.com) as part numbers 70494, 70506 and 70530.

Then, in the post above, you told sierrajb "We have had and will have all the different sizes of "orange" belt line and rub rail inserts for the trailers as well as the motorhomes.

I can see why the confusion. Perhaps you are referring to the blue for silver Airstreams, and the orange for painted Airstreams (Argosy)? Either way, the bottom line (pun intended) is that BOTH colors are out there (same sizes, by the way), but the blue will be much easier to locate than the orange.

My two bits, for what they're worth.

The orange vinyl inserts were discontinued by Airstream, back in 2002.

Airstream, by popular demand, decided to bring it back into inventory about a year or so ago.

Andy
Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Black??

Does anyone know if the traditional orange strip on the 1976 Argosy can be obtained in BLACK?

Need both the bottom rub-rail and the belt line, mid way up and all the way around the trailer.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Does anyone know if the traditional orange strip on the 1976 Argosy can be obtained in BLACK?

Need both the bottom rub-rail and the belt line, mid way up and all the way around the trailer.

Sergei

The 3 sizes of vinyl insert are also available in black.

Andy
Old 11-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Black is Available

Quote:

Sergei
Sergei,
I just purchased a 1975 Argosy 24 a few days ago. The bottom, larger strip was once black, now faded. The top, smaller strip is completely gone. I was able to find BOTH sizes of orange through an Airstream dealer. However, there's a company called Taco Metals who manufactures all types of rub rails and inserts. Check out www.tacomarine.com

After you find what you need, look for a dealer who can order it for you. That's what I plan on doing for several rub rail and molding applications on my Argosy. Hope they can help.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #18
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I need some in blue, who has the best price including shipping?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Sierra, thanks.

Do you know which TACO moldings will fit our trailers?

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Taco Rub Rail Inserts

Quote:
Sierra, thanks.

Do you know which TACO moldings will fit our trailers?

Sergei
SmokelessJoe,
Not exactly sure YET. If anyone has it, Taco will. I looked the planet over for a hard to find rub rail on my old boat. Taco Metals was the ONLY company who had it in stock. They don't sell to anyone but dealers, so I had to find a local marine dealer to order it for me.

They sent a catalogue which shows much more available than their website. If I were you, use a micrometer to get the exact dimensions you'll need, then give them a call. I believe they have different types of inserts to fit the same size rub rails. Hey, it's worth a try.

I have some vinyl insert coming from another Airstream dealer later this week. Just in case this insert is not correct, you can bet I'll be giving Taco a call. Let me know what progress you make. Good Luck!