Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Waldport , Oregon
Recommendations to replace refrig & oven

Hello:

Can anyone recommend a company that sells refrigerators and gas stoves for my 1973 24' Argosy? I'd like to try and keep the same size units. Thanks so much.

Beth
elizseverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
The stove and range should be fairly easy to replace as they are standard sizes, and so then it really just depends on what features and budget you want. Alternatively you could remodel the kitchen in such a way that you use for example a drop in stove and recover the space used by the oven with storage. It just depends on how much you anticipate using the oven. Some campers never use it while other campers could not imagine camping without it.

The refrigerator is going to be more challenging because the newer units are almost certainly not going to be the exact size as your current unit

You do have several options here. One option is to modify your cabinetry to fit whatever unit you end up purchasing. Most would elect to install a three-way refrigerator that can operate off shore power, battery, or propane. Those units are quite expensive however. Others will elect to install an inexpensive electric compressor refrigerator for just a few hundred dollars, but will lose the ability to run the refrigerator off propane only. This could be a problem if you Boondock for extended periods of time. That is, unless you were to install a very expensive lithium battery system which might be able to power the refrigerator off grid for a more extended period of time. But in that case, of course, you would be spending even more money than installing a three-way refrigerator.

One other option is to try to repair the existing refrigerator that you have. Worst case scenario it is possible to purchase and install just the compressor unit on the backside and keep the original refrigerator box. This would eliminate the need to redo your cabinetry.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Waldport , Oregon
Thank you Skyguyscott:

I really appreciate your thorough response to my question. Can you recommend any brands?

Beth
Old 10-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Dometic and Norcold are the leading RV fridge manufacturers of two and three-way units. If you want to install a more conventional electric compressor type refrigerator, then any unit you can buy a big box store that fits will do.

If I recall correctly, Norcold has on their website a chart that compares the size of your vintage refrigerator with the closest sized current unit. If your refrigerator is original, then it is most likely a Dometic brand, but even the new Dometics do not match the vintage sizes. If you look at the blog on this website, there is a how to article on replacing the ammonia evaporation unit on the backside of your existing refrigerator box. You would just have to do a web search on finding a supplier. Alternatively there are folks that will rebuild your existing evaporator unit. You might want to also do some research on these forms and elsewhere on the web because your unit may in fact still be working but just need a relatively simple repair, which could be as simple as removing the unit and turning it upside down and sideways for a while. The redeeming thing about many of these vintage ammonia evaporation refrigerators is that they’re quite bulletproof and can last for decades. My 1969 Dometic refrigerator still works. I do not believe any of the newer units are going to last anywhere close to 50 years. Additionally, the vintage units lack the failure-prone circuit boards that also constantly draw a parasitic drain on your battery. The vintage units don’t use any electricity whatsoever while in propane mode.

Likewise, if you search the forms, there is a newer, higher end range unit that will drop in that has won lots of rave reviews, not only for its functionality, but for it’s clean modern styling.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Waldport , Oregon
Recommendations for refrig & oven

Hi Skyguyscott:

Thank you, this is great information. Actually my refrig and stovetop work (I don't need the oven). I am researching replacements because there is rust on the stovetop (chrome) and the seal on the refrigerator needs to be replaced.

Maybe I should post a message looking for a stovetop cover and refrig door replacement. I don't know if these are good alternatives. What do you think?

Beth
Old 10-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
It really just depends on what your budget is and what you want. It is your Argosy, and you can make it into whatever you want. You can certainly repair, refurbish or replace whatever units you want, even sell the older units if they still have life in them.

A couple of observations: finances and time are always finite, how to spend both to maximize your or other's joy?

Some will find pleasure and satisfaction in investing in the vehicle and making it shine, others will rather feel the trailer is instead a means rather than an end and elect to go adventuring now to places their funds can enable them to experience. There is surely a good balance to be found. Aviation has a term: "hanger queen" in reference to either a meticulously-maintained, gorgeous-looking airplane, or one that waits and waits to be fixed, but in either case, sits around and never flies. Make your trailer a happy space that enables your travels while you still can and go forth.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Waldport , Oregon
Recommendations for refrig & oven

Hi Skyguyscott:

I like your way of thinking. Beth
Old 10-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
Has anyone tried having the folding stove cover powder coated?
Also, fridge door seals are much cheaper and easier to replace that the entire refrigerator.
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I simply cleaned and primed the cover then painted it black with a rattle can.
10 years later it has a few scratches but still looks good.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Waldport , Oregon
Thank you. Good to know there is an inexpensive solution.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Waldport , Oregon
Hi Mikeoxlong,

Thank you for responding to my post. Good to know the seal is an easy fix,