Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Rebilding/replacing Argosy steps

Has anyone ever repaired (completely rebuilt) the argosy 'Airstream' style steel steps or have you replaced them. We would like to keep the original, but they have there issues and considering replacing with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N187EBP...roduct_details

We are not interested in the 'Moreride' type steps that they offer for Airstreams for several reasons. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Well, as always, it depends. What is wrong/broken? What is the condition of the "slot" in the outriggers? are all the parts there. Haven't bought in the last few years but the special screws and other small parts used to be available. Maybe a pic or two?
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Outriggers are excellent, problem is too much play in the joints on the steps themselves and they didn't use screw, looks like some sort of swaged bolt. Also I'm afraid that one of the arms on the lower step, the hole is messed up and it doesn't appear that you can get this part (in steel).
Also what have people done to help with the rusting (powered coat is what I'm thinking) and cost to do that.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:39 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Yeah,trying to remember to maybe 5 years ago, some kind of swaged fastener and trying to beat that back tight. Have been times when I resorted to a tack weld and then ground off the excess. If a hole has gotten hogged out maybe fill it with weld and re-drill. Two downsides to powder coat, have to take all the parts off the trailer and possible heavy build-up making tight tolerances too tight. No doubt durability is excellent. usually found I just had to get started and then use the whole toolbox to do what seemed to be needed. I know I thought about remaking a couple of arms but could always work them back into shape once I got them off.
Good luck, Mark D
Old 02-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Yeah,trying to remember to maybe 5 years ago, some kind of swaged fastener and trying to beat that back tight. Have been times when I resorted to a tack weld and then ground off the excess. If a hole has gotten hogged out maybe fill it with weld and re-drill. Two downsides to powder coat, have to take all the parts off the trailer and possible heavy build-up making tight tolerances too tight. No doubt durability is excellent. usually found I just had to get started and then use the whole toolbox to do what seemed to be needed. I know I thought about remaking a couple of arms but could always work them back into shape once I got them off.
Good luck, Mark D
Mark thanks - yes you are correct as I thought also these fittings are some sort of swaged fastener and I have a feeling that one of the holes in one of the 'side' arms is hogged out. I really am not sure these things are worth doing a lot to them as I am getting tempted in putting in some 'regular' steps (found some with all aluminum treads that are nice) and have looked into how these would mount. One of the outriggers would have to move about one (1) inch but other than that should be straight forward and since I have to take some of the floor up anyway near the door it would be easy to bolt them to the floor from above. Thanks for your information, just seeing if anyone has gone down either of these 'rabbit holes' and what advice they can offer me.

Thanks
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230206_180429678_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	662.5 KB
ID:	427926  
Old 02-09-2023, 09:22 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
So on my now gone '61 Ambassador the steps were in poor shape. What was really bad were the outriggers which I ended up having custom fabricated as it was a 4" frame and not 5". Because like you I was replacing the floor I could make the frame be whatever I wanted. I did buy some replacement stairs and halfway mock them up to the trailer but ended up keeping the original stairs.
Keep at it, Mark D