Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dixon , New Mexico
Pre purchase inspection advice wanted

Argosy owners, I salute you.

I'm considering 1988 Argosy Squarestream ('29). I wonder if you can suggest any specific things to look for during an inspection. We own a '63 Globetrotter, so I'm somewhat familiar with these trailers. I know about axles, for instance. Folks seem to love their Argosy trailers, and they seem to be a bargain, compared to their shinier brothers. Any Achilles heels or issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts! Cheers, Bryan
bwehrli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Not that we want you to leave, but they do have their own place on the forums
All Squarestream Trailers - Airstream Forums

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The Achilles heel on all Airstream products is the floor. Take an ice pick with you and poke around the door, along the rear of the trailer, and under the windows. You don't want to find a soft spot.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ely21why I hope it's not the one in Roswell.
gcann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A Squarestream Argosy is a very different trailer from a normal Argosy of the 70's. It is essentially a conventional trailer, not a rounded aluminum riveted trailer.

I have only inspected a few of them. They seem nice inside but the leaking issues are all roof related and can be very bad. Check very carefully for roof rot and related wall de lamination and rot. The three that I have looked at all had real issues with roof and wall rot and de lamination.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
As idroba stated, the Squarestreams and Argosy's are prone to leak around the middle seam.. As you walk in the door check that flooring area for rot. I met a man that bought one site unseen, the seller said floor was good. He had it transported to his location and opened the door stepped in and fell through the floor. Any trailer will leak over the years. Axles are issue with bouncing or not much bouncing. A friend that replaces axles on Airstream's mentioned to go down the road sitting in the trailer to see how it bounces. The rubber in the axles get brittle with age which stops the flexing of the axles. The square trailers are great for cabinet space. Some friends bought one that was in a shed most of its life when not camping. That was as far as I could tell as near perfect used trailer I have seen. Sometimes in your location there might be a Airstream owner that is well versed in older trailers and might be able to help with looking a a trailer with you. As you know there are many Airstream and Argosy owners across the country. If you are a member or going to be a member of the Airstream Club or Vintage Airstream Club, those members might help with looking at a trailer with you. Does the trailer you are looking at have the WBCCI #'s. If so a person can find out who owned it if their membership was current or a few years back. Some one in the Four Corners Club of the WBCCI might know the history on the trailer. That sometimes is helpful. Good luck in your search.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote