Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Painting?

Posted this in exterior restoration as well.

I have an Argosy 20 that may need painting in the next couple of years. Anyone have any experience with this? Approx cost? What kind of place can paint a trailer?

Thanks in advance.
turbocharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome aboard turbs!

Y'know, painting isn't the next think I need to do, but I have been thinking about it. I don't speak from direct experience on this topic. Just now I did a search on keywords argosy paint and came up with quite a few unrelated items. But I did see a very good thread titled Argosy paint. That's a place to start.

This was not thorough research by any means. I hope you get some replies from Argosy owners who've done it. Look further into other search threads by repeating the above. If you want more details rephrase your question or ask a new one on this very thread you started. Way to go!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I had my minute paint last spring by Maco and I paid $810.00 for it. It took me a long time to find anyone who would do it for me. I had one place want to charge me $3500.00 to paint it.

Chris
WBBCI #2731
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
How did maaco do on your Paint Job?
aviontt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
they did a great job
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks foreverones help. It's still aways off but I wanted to get a head start on it.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

If it is a small area, like a trim stripe, I would paint it with a brush, than wet sand progressively finer till it shines glossy.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Painting?

Greetings Turbocharger!

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with this? Approx cost? What kind of place can paint a trailer?
I have been debating this process on my Minuet 6.0 Metre for the past several months. We don't have any of the large franchise automotive paintshops in my vicinity so I have been working with local body shops that have done work for me on my collector cars.

When taking my trailer into these local shops, I have been sure to point out that the body of the trailer is aluminum while the end caps are galvanized steel so that they can compute the differences in preparation for the two surfaces. I have also asked that the exposed areas of the frame (hitch in front and bumper mounts in rear) be media blasted and refinished. The cost upgrade to maintain the factory two-tone finish has been adding about $500 to the cost. Overall, the three shops that I have consulted on my Minuet are talking between $125 and $150 per foot of overall length.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Painting

Our son has a 79 Argosy. It had some bad spots on the top of the trailer and around some of the lights.

He sanded, taped off the lights and used Rustoleum paint. He used four cans and although is not a professional, has lasted for three years. It looks as it did original.

He did a good wax job on it and rain doesn't affect it.

Gloria
Greenville, Tx.
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:44 AM   #10
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Kevin said:

Quote:
Overall, the three shops that I have consulted on my Minuet are talking between $125 and $150 per foot of overall length.
That sort of blows my theory that it's cheaper to repaint an Argosy than to polish an aluminum Airstream.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:22 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

You know when my wife asked about how much I thought It would cost I said about $3000. So $125/$150 a foot seems about right if you want a decent job. Besides when I get it painted it will have to match my truck which I still haven't decided on truck or color).

Thanks again for everyones input!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:39 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by 63wind
Kevin said:

That sort of blows my theory that it's cheaper to repaint an Argosy than to polish an aluminum Airstream.

Scott
Actually Scott once the thing is painted your finish maintenance becomes pretty simple, it doesn't require much repolishing Kind of like brick on a house you pay for it up front.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Argosy painting

Has anyone thought about painting an Argosy with 100% acrylic latex paint?

I have learned that old aluminum siding can be done this way. I found this: "(Acrylic latex) expands and contracts with the metal substrate while maintaining its adhesion and avoiding the cracking and alligatoring seen with lower quality paints. It produces a durable, fade-resisitent finish that can last for a decade or more."

If such a process is acceptable for the housing market, why wouldn't it work on an Argosy or any other aluminum trailer?

The benefit of using this type of paint is that it cleans up with water and anyone having the ability to spray paint could do it without worrying about the environment as automobile refinishers do with their oil based products.
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote